help find 20 cal Holy Grail projectile !

ghilliedup

So the hamster wheel is really turning today and want to share with you guys my thoughts
lol.gif

Im looking for a very specific bullet to load in a 204 Ruger (that as far as I know doesn't yet exist!), my ideal bullet would be a 45-48gr tipped boat tail with a similar construction to the Nosler BT. (less explosive than Vmax & SBK for those big midwest predators but still expand down to 1600 fps per Noslers BT's). It would have a BC in the neighborhood of .325 maybe even .350 which seems very realistic...Should be an ideal projo for my 1:10 twist, leaving the muzzle around 3500 fps in a std 22" tube it should buck the wind fairly well, the lower MV & bullet construction would likely reduce splashes up close & stay above the 1600fps expansion/fragmentation threshold (again using Nolsers info as a ref) all the way out to 775 yards! BTW it would also be supersonic to roughly 1100 yards if you want to have some plinking fun on the long ranges haha......SOOO, why does something like this not exist? There are so many good 32 & 40 grainers & then of course the 55's... but the 55's wont shoot in 95% of the factory rifles so why hasnt someone stepped in and produced something to fill the gap between 40 & 55 gr, Because unless I have overlooked something this seems like a match made in heaven for a factory 204...is there any small or boutique bullet makers thet have a similar projo???

Heres my rifle & current load info:
I have a T/C venture in .204 Ruger, I must say I have fell in love with both the rifle & cartridge. It has produced the best groups I have ever fired off a bench (best to date is .123" @ 100yds for a 3 shot group off a sandbag using Hornady factory 40gr Vmax, & have also shot several in the .20-.35" with both factory & handloads)

Currently ive settled on 39 SBK's over I-4895 with Rem BR primers. This load normally chronies 3660 in 80 degree weather & will hold sub-MOA out past 400 yards. BUT I don't like how light the Sierra BK is built & would like to change over to a little tougher & heavier bullet w/o loosing the high BC of the SBK.

The Berger 55's BC is .381. 3500 will be a chore in an AR 204 since they are too long but in a bolt gun no problem lenght wise. I don't think a 204 can push it that fast and live with the pressure based on what Westeren Powders shows. They are running at 60,000+ to come close.

Greg

Yes I have tried the 45gr hornandy sp, in the factory loading with excellent accuracy. Problem with that one is trying to find just the bullet, seems like Hornandy has stopped making them .

GL: I was talking about pushing a 45-48 gr at 3500 fps, which should be fairly easy even from a 22" barrel I would think

I have tried the Blackhole 45gr tipped bullet, the bullets I have are cup based and shoot very well from my 20br, the only thing I ever shot with them were a few groundhogs and they performed more like a target bullet than a varmint bullet and I was moving them at 4100 fps at the muzzle

45gr far right loaded in 20br, 55gr middle loaded in 20-250
204bullets012_zps89432980.jpg

Originally Posted By: Rich44I have tried the Blackhole 45gr tipped bullet, the bullets I have are cup based and shoot very well from my 20br, the only thing I ever shot with them were a few groundhogs and they performed more like a target bullet than a varmint bullet and I was moving them at 4100 fps at the muzzle

45gr far right loaded in 20br, 55gr middle loaded in 20-250
204bullets012_zps89432980.jpg

Did blackhole bullets ever give any BC info?

Back