pulling crimped bullets???

Brownie

Went to the range today and I ran into a guy who had 5 boxes of fiochi ammo loaded with 77gr matchking hps that had got wet afyer a plumbong pipe broke.in his basement. Aftet 3 failures he.gabe up. I gave him.some.of.my hand loads and.he was able to salvage his range trip. He gave me the ammo 100 rpunds total but after about 50 whacks from my bullet puller the bullet didnt.budg is there another.way to pull them and salvage them??

I use a set of "Dykes". They are wire working pliers that look like catfish skinners; in other words, they are flat on the end with two beveled jaws. I put the loaded round into the press and push it out the top. Then I grab the projectile at the cannelure (or as close to the cannelure as I can get) and push up on the handle of the press. The Dykes are stopped by the press, and as the round continues down the projectile is pulled from the brass.

It is possible that the bullets have been sealed with an asphalt-like substance; the only way you will know for certain is to get the first one out... but that will make pulling them harder.

By the way, shooting pulled bullets has never caused an issue; seldom do they vary from the group by enough to make any real difference.

Picked up an ammo can full of .30 cal FMJ bullets which had been pulled using side cutter pliers at a gun show for cheap and they shot well in spite of the cutter marks (which were ironed out by rifling on all that we recovered).

Have pulled many crimped (and sealed) bullets w/RCBS collet type bullet pulling die. They work very well, without any drama.

Regards,
hm

I've pulled the jacket off many using my rcbs collet puller. The hammer works with several wacks on concrete but will get a grip n pull someday since I haven't heard any bad feedback on them.

Originally Posted By: DANNY-L

I've pulled the jacket off many using my rcbs collet puller.

How do you do that??

I have been using an RCBS collet puller for half a century, and I never pulled one single jacket off - not even close. I didn't even tear one...

How do you do that??

Originally Posted By: DANNY-LI've pulled the jacket off many using my rcbs collet puller. The hammer works with several wacks on concrete but will get a grip n pull someday since I haven't heard any bad feedback on them.

Can't figure out just how you could "pull the jacket off many" with a collet type bullet puller unless you are referring to a gas check as a jacket, or possibly you were referring to half jackets?? I can see the remote possibility of pulling the core out of a "half jacketed" bullet if you grabbed the lead core in the collet. It might then be possible to pull the core out of the gas check/half jacket, leaving the gas check/half jacket in the case neck???

Gas checked bullet:

Most full jacket, HP, or SP bullets, the thin metal jacket completely covers the lead core and the collet could not grip lead core to cause it to separate:

Regards,
hm

Originally Posted By: CatShooterOriginally Posted By: DANNY-L

How do you do that??

I have been using an RCBS collet puller for half a century, and I never pulled one single jacket off - not even close. I didn't even tear one...

How do you do that??

I've always used the rcbs but I like the look of the grip & pull. For bullets that are really in there, snap them lose first in your seating die just enough to move them then pull them.

Originally Posted By: CatShooterOriginally Posted By: DANNY-L

How do you do that??

How do you do that??

I know it sounds weird but I have run into this several times. This was with 223 rounds,peeled the entire jacket off.

Originally Posted By: DANNY-LOriginally Posted By: CatShooterOriginally Posted By: DANNY-L

How do you do that??

How do you do that??

I know it sounds weird but I have run into this several times. This was with 223 rounds, peeled the entire jacket off.

The core is smaller than the jacket, and doesn't touch the case - so if you pull the jacket, the core MUST come out with the jacket.

OR... are you talking about pulling the front part of the jacket off, which breaks at the cannelure, leaving the body of the jacket in the case??

That's not the same thing.

I have broke them at the cannelure and pulled the top half of the jacket off with the whole lead core leaving the bottom of the jacket in the case neck. That was with side cutters not with a collet puller. I don't think the collet puller is capable of jacket separation. Never used that stupid hammer so don't know about that.

Yes it was only the top half. That's why I needed to use the impact hammer. If and when it happens again CAT I'll pm you a picture cause it was a odd thing to happen.

Originally Posted By: DANNY-LYes it was only the top half. That's why I needed to use the impact hammer. If and when it happens again CAT I'll pm you a picture cause it was a odd thing to happen.

No need to send a picture.

That is not pulling the jacket off of a bullet - if only the front tears off.

Originally Posted By: wklmanYep, I've got the grip-n-pull and it works good. Powder stays in the case and the bullet has minimum wear on it.

This. Best puller made.

Back