Mossberg MMR Hunter

The best way to deal with someone who knows everything is to completely ignore there posts. They will no longer get the rise they are looking for and move on.

All of your so called facts is based on your opinion or told or internet based. How can you call something low rate if you have had any personal experience with it. That's ok think what you want say what you want YOUR type don't last long around here.Eventually guys will see what you are like and they will run you off. So keep on keeping on! I'm done WITH YEAH!

I just flipped through a few gun magazines and they give it decent praise. I don't think you could be bad off. Actually, Mossberg makes a bunch of AR barrels for other companies. I wouldn't be surprised if most of us here have Mossberg AR barrels and don't even know...

Originally Posted By: pahntr760I just flipped through a few gun magazines and they give it decent praise. I don't think you could be bad off. Actually, Mossberg makes a bunch of AR barrels for other companies. I wouldn't be surprised if most of us here have Mossberg AR barrels and don't even know...

Gun rag reviews are just slightly less than worthless. Have you ever read a bad review? You won't and I will tell you why. In the firearms industry they are not referred to as "Reviews" by the publishers or manufacturers. They are called, "Editorials". What is passed off as a review is actually a multi-page advertisement purchased by the company whose product is being "Reviewed".

I used to work for a very well known manufacturer in the shooting sports industry that makes products for shooters, hunters, law enforcement and the military. Every month our sales director would receive copies of every gun related magazine you can think of direct from the publishers. In each of these magazines would be notes from the editor or publisher stating "Mr.Xyz your editorial is on page __". Flip to that page and you would find the latest "Review" of our product that our company purchased.

It's the dirty little secret of the gun magazine publishing industry. There is no such thing as an actual review, it is all veiled advertising. With the internet there is absolutely no reason to look to gun rags when researching a product because if you want unbiased information you simply are not going to find it in a gun magazine.

Last edited:
Yeah, they're all usally pretty upbeat. But they will also call 2" a decent shooter. The Mossy shot better then that, in their test, so that where I got the info of which I was calling decent.

Originally Posted By: pahntr760Yeah, they're all usally pretty upbeat. But they will also call 2" a decent shooter. The Mossy shot better then that, in their test, so that where I got the info of which I was calling decent.

One thing I noticed when I went over to Mossbergs website is not only do they not list information that I consider important such as gas key and castle nut staking, grade of steel in the barrel and bolt carrier group, grade of aluminum alloy used for and upper and lower receivers, HP/MPI tests, they do not even list the most basic specifications such as barrel twist rate.

That was my whole point in my first post. Mossberg may very well produce a great AR but we have no way of knowing because they do not list their specs and the guns haven't been around long enough to get any real user feedback. So why go with a complete unknown when there are several manufacturers out there that list all of their specs, have long histories of proven relaibility, quality control, and excellent customer service?

Originally Posted By: mj36639
pahntr760 said:
Gun rag reviews are just slightly less than worthless. Have you ever read a bad review? You won't and I will tell you why. In the firearms industry they are not referred to as "Reviews" by the publishers or manufacturers. They are called, "Editorials". What is passed off as a review is actually a multi-page advertisement purchased by the company whose product is being "Reviewed".

I used to work for a very well known manufacturer in the shooting sports industry that makes products for shooters, hunters, law enforcement and the military. Every month our sales director would receive copies of every gun related magazine you can think of direct from the publishers. In each of these magazines would be notes from the editor or publisher stating "Mr.Xyz your editorial is on page __". Flip to that page and you would find the latest "Review" of our product that our company purchased.

It's the dirty little secret of the gun magazine publishing industry. There is no such thing as an actual review, it is all veiled advertising. With the internet there is absolutely no reason to look to gun rags when researching a product because if you want unbiased information you simply are not going to find it in a gun magazine.

True statement there....

I had the gun shop order me one. Before I ordered it I called mossberg talk to a lady she told me the new ones had dust cover fwd assist. So I had the gun shop to order me one. They got it in called me to come pick it up man I was happy my first ar. Got to the shop opened the box. No fwd assist no dust cover. So standing in gun shop I called mb. Got to talk to one of the big guys at mb. Told him what I had and what the lady told me. He said he was sorry for her mistake. They the custom service hadn't been trained on the ar guns what they had and didn't have. He told me if I wanted the stuff I wanted I would have to buy a new upper. I said what but no thanks. He asked me my address I give it to him. He said he was going to send me a free mb coffee mug. I don't drink coffee. The gun shop said i didnt to buy it if it wasnt what i wanted.What I am trying to say is look around . The mossberg has a 2 yr warranty. I ended with a Sig for about a 150.00 more. All the stuff plus a lifetime warranty. And built by a great company. Just look around. vm

I recently purchased an MMR Hunter new at a local gun store. Mounted a Redfield 4X12 on it. Put up some impressive groups at the range after zeroing the scope. The MMR only set me back $711. I don't hunt anymore, so had no need for a typical pimped out tactical model. I wouldn't hesitate to use it for small game, but as my personal mobility is waning, I probably won't. It shoots straight and have had no misfires thus far, easy to clean and maintain, so obviously, I like and recommend it to those who want a nice, well made, and inexpensive alternative to the hyper-expensive units.

Originally Posted By: Sentec219I recently purchased an MMR Hunter new at a local gun store. Mounted a Redfield 4X12 on it. Put up some impressive groups at the range after zeroing the scope. The MMR only set me back $711. I don't hunt anymore, so had no need for a typical pimped out tactical model. I wouldn't hesitate to use it for small game, but as my personal mobility is waning, I probably won't. It shoots straight and have had no misfires thus far, easy to clean and maintain, so obviously, I like and recommend it to those who want a nice, well made, and inexpensive alternative to the hyper-expensive units.

Nicely said.

MAN OH MAN I wish it would get cold so we could hunt coyotes and quit peeing on each others boot tops!
tongue_smilie.gif

Last edited:
Price and availability. The expensive rifles have their place and their qualities, but sometimes it just boils down to price and availability. If Mossberg is using off the shelf parts of reasonable quality for the average shooter who puts 200 rounds a year through an AR, it will probably be the perfect rifle. What he doesn't spend on the rifle he can spend on the ammo. It's all about the price and availability. kwg

Very nice rifle, shoots great. probably the best rifle for the money you can get with all the extras!I broke down and bought a timmney from Joe Bob's and Presto groups / shoots better, tighter groups touching at 65 yds. No regrets, nothing but accalads.

Back