Red spotlight how far ?

robertjay53

I,m looking at getting a 400,000 candle power spotlight and will spray it with Dykem. Is this enough light and how far will I be able to see eyes? Also would like to know, when you scan with your light is it a fast scan or slow scan 360 degrees /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif Help me do it right guys. Thanks Bob

Er, Um, I hate to sound like this is nothing but a sales pitch but if you are just starting off on night hunting, you may want to go to www.huntingthenightshift.com and check out our video.

But for your questions:

Yes, that will be enough light. More would be better but it will do. You'll be able to see eyes a lot farther than you'll be able to identify them. But, that's OK, you can spot him and let him get good and close before you blast him. When you scan the light, you'll not want to go so slow that an animal has a chance at getting in on you before you see it but you'll not want to scan so fast that you miss eyes if they are behind a bush at the momemt you go by with the light.

Good luck

Randy

Randy, It does sound like a sales pitch /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-006.gif but your to late I orderd the DVD yesterday /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif
I have read all the posts on here about lights and killin chairs mounted in the back of pickups. These seem to be mostly to do with them Texas boys, and its got to be a kick /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif In the state of Washington you are not allowed to shoot out of a motor vehicle. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif The exception to this rule is if you are a disabled hunter, which I am /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif Im in the process of getting a Kawaski Mule 4x4 to night hunt out of and on top of the roll cage I will be building a platform with my own shooting chair. This will put me about 10' eye level sitting and no, the weight will not make the Mule roll over from being top heavy /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif
I had my 6'3" 320 lb son try to turn the Mule over by rocking it and he couldnt. To me if you drive safe you will be safe /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gifAs for my spotlight it is a Browning power search with remote control dual speed. It will turn 370 degrees horizontal and 120 degrees vertical this will be mounted just above my head on the back of my chair When my rig is done I will try to post some pics here and get an opinion from the experts. The only things I worried about, is the light being 400,000 cp and possible rotating noise from turning the light I am waitng to here back from the dealer about noise level if any and may be able to dampen most of it. If noise is to much I can still rotate the chair and just set the vertical with the remote forgot to mention the remote will work from 50 yds away. WOW Im winded /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Tell me what you think Randy my wife thinks Im a madman !!!
Bob Percifield

Hey Bob, It sounds like you have it pretty much figured out! The only thing I can think of is to try mounting the light to your swivel chair. That will eliminate the noise, and it shines where you are looking. That is how we do it on our video.(Subliminal sales Pitch! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif) I am sneakier than Randy! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-006.gif Jeff

Bob,

I got your order. Thanks!

And, your wife is right. You are a madman. I love it.

But, you might want to listen to that sneaky Jeff dude. He's right about fixing the light to the chair. You'll see what we mean when you get the video. It's really the only way to fly.

Later
Randy

Jeff & Randy, Thanks for the followup. Hey guys nothing is written in stone in regards to the light situation.
Randy I will watch your DVD before I go further on the light. Jeff nice plug on your video /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif Im sure that I will get it soon /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
On your shooting chairs, is there someone who makes them or do you just find a chair and make your own modifications?
Thanks Bob Percifield

I think Randy Watson is the original chair designer and builder. His has been copied all over the place. If you go ahead and do a search here, you'll find lots of pictures and instructions, etc.

Hey Bob, Glad to hear you are thinking about the video. As for Hunting chairs, they have been in Texas for Years! You can use about any kind of chair, as long as it is comfortable. We have a few boat chairs and boat swivels. Our setup is a little different than Randys, but they both work very well. You can do a search and find some different pics and designs. Who knows, maybe you will come up with something even better! Then I can copy your idea /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif! Jeff

Bob,
The things you need to consider on the mule is weight and height. The taller it is, and the more weight you get on top the more likely it is to turn over, or at least be unstable.

Muffler pipe is good to use because it is stong and lightweight. Also some light wall square tubing is good.

I built my first chair in the early seventies, and have re-designed it several times. The one you build will be changed up after you use it a while and see things that will make it better. It's been an evolution of sorts, needing to be able to hunt with people or by myself, ideas seem to come every year, and I cut and weld on mine several times a year.

You might even consider some swing down jacks on the corners to help stabalize the added weight and leverage of the chair. Somethins as simple as portable jack stands, to electric leveling jacks like on a motorhome. You can do as much or as little as you wish. Just have fun and be safe.

Randy

Thanks everyone for your expert advice. Randy Watson you can be sure that I will have fun and it will be safe.
Just to let anyone know who might be interested the Browning Light noise level when you use the remote is .5 db
This is per Browning. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gifThats quit /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gifBob

Bob, I lived in the Midland-Odessa area of west Texas for 43 years. These bright lights and high chairs these guys have are great for certain areas of the country, but it is NOT what you need for around here. If you get a 400,000 cp light, you better put a dimmer on it. The bright lights do not work in steep terrain with tall timber.
Bob

I've got to agree with BobR.

The 200,000 CP Brinkmann Varmint Special seems ideal for most situations.

I can't really think of a situation, right off hand, that I wish I had more red light.

Those eyes glint from way far away.

Robert

Back