Loading 357 Sig???

CatShooter

Are any of you guys loading 357 Sig - and if so, are you having problems with it.

How about with light bullets like 115 and 90's?

I've set up some dummy loads for the 357Sig and a couple things I have noticed right away: adjust dies minimally as the shoulder will collapse pretty easily and the 90grn XTP has, at best, minimal bearing surface to prevent bullet set-back while chambering. Crimping enough to hold the bullet, has so far eluded me, as the shoulder wants to collapse as the tension reaches the proper hold.

In short, I have not been successful to this point, but have recently purchased some 124grn bullets that I suspect will be more amenable. I have also purchased some bevel base cast bullets in hopes that these could be loaded without belling at all. Lyman says 'no', but time and experimentation will tell.

This will all take me longer than a more experienced handloader but, I thought any info couldn't hurt. I still find contrary info on where the darn round headspaces! Lyman says on the casemouth, CIP reference says on the shoulder. It is going to be interesting.

Originally Posted By: RonO.I've set up some dummy loads for the 357Sig and a couple things I have noticed right away: adjust dies minimally as the shoulder will collapse pretty easily and the 90grn XTP has, at best, minimal bearing surface to prevent bullet set-back while chambering. Crimping enough to hold the bullet, has so far eluded me, as the shoulder wants to collapse as the tension reaches the proper hold.

In short, I have not been successful to this point, but have recently purchased some 124grn bullets that I suspect will be more amenable. I have also purchased some bevel base cast bullets in hopes that these could be loaded without belling at all. Lyman says 'no', but time and experimentation will tell.

This will all take me longer than a more experienced handloader but, I thought any info couldn't hurt. I still find contrary info on where the darn round headspaces! Lyman says on the case mouth, CIP reference says on the shoulder. It is going to be interesting.

It does headspace on the case mouth, and if they are sized so the shoulders are not pushed back, then fired/reloaded cases will head space on the shoulder.

I have not seen factory - are they crimped much or just a tiny bit - and who's dies are you using?

I had considered the neck size option as well, as with bottleneck rifle brass. I have Hornady dies and use a Redding press. I don't know that I would try to load the 357Sig with Lee equipment! It seems very sensitive to loose tolerances. Factory ammo does not have marks of a strong crimp. I believe that for reliability/safety/legal measures that they must be crimped, but it is not noticeable at all.

I own a Sig Pro in 357sig and love to shoot it. I also would like some insight in loading.

50 years ago I owned a Ruger Hawkeye in 256win, it was hard to size. I ended up sizing the brass in a Wilson gauge in a arbor press and removing them with a brass rod. The RCBS sizing die just did not work. I then put them thru the RCBS sizing die and loaded them with the loading die. They shot just fine. I have a 40cal barrel for my Sig. So I have fun shoot both rounds.

I saw where RWS is making a 100gr ammo for the 357sig @ 1400+fps. I might have to try a box.

I'm wondering if increasing neck tension will minimize the need to crimp. I would definitely use a taper crimp on this cartridge; a roll crimp would create way more problems than what it might solve. Everything that I have heard says to use heavier/longer bullets with a long bearing surface.

I bought a Glock 32 and 33 several years ago, but sold both of them very quickly. Both were involved in Glock's frame rail recall - the one where they would immediately replace your frame if you were an LEO, but us mere mortals had to wait for ours to break. They eventually replaced all the suspect frames, but they sure soured me for a long time on their lack of customer service. although I did some preliminary research on reloading the cartridge, I never actually got around to it.

Last edited:
What I have found with my 357 Sig. I can load enough Blue Dot that the bullet sets on the powder charge, and it's an accurate load. 10.4 grns. I believe, without looking at my notes. That's with the 124's.

Last edited:
I have been loading .357Sig. since it came out. Dillon Dies. I have never used any case lube or seen a reason to neck size. As a rule I tend to load 124 grain flat nose bullets for shooting. I have also loaded 124gr. Gold Dot and XTP's with no problems. Blue Dot seems to always give me the highest, safe velocity's. I have used Ramshot Silhouette and AA-7 also. This is my caliber of choice for a concealed carry gun in a Glock 32. Light, Powerful, and reliable.

Back