local shop making a mistake?

reaper4

im new to reloading as some of you already know due to my recent bombardment of questions. well at least one more.....I just realized that I only spent $29.99 for 500 brand new federal premium 223 cases. they were in boxes with 5 100rd. bags in each box. I am starting to think that I should have paid $29.99 for each bag. did I make out like a bandit? on a side note I know I will catch flack for this but I plan on buying another 2000 or so cases for the future and don't plan on reloading my brass once its fired due to the fact that 2000 rounds will last me a very long time, and im not sure how consistant I will be when trimming and all that. anyone want me to send them some when I have a pile?

Ya, one [beeep] of a deal there. I'll take the freebies when you're done, 2k pieces of brass = about 16-20k firings as long as you don't go insane with the pressure and aren't chasing the last 1/10000th inch of accuracy.

Owner was such a nice guy not only did he not take my money for the ones I already had he have me two more cases for 60 bucks!!!

Originally Posted By: reaper4yeah its a mistake. going to show them their mistake and try and pay for them. I cant live with myself lol

You are a good MAN Charlie Brown.
thumbup.gif

Honesty pays dividends.

Originally Posted By: DABOriginally Posted By: reaper4yeah its a mistake. going to show them their mistake and try and pay for them. I cant live with myself lol

You are a good MAN Charlie Brown.
thumbup.gif

Honesty pays dividends.

its funny you said that a lot of people call me that lol

Why would you not reload your brass once you've fired it?

I'm not getting it. That's the whole point of reloading.

Trimming most likely won't come into play until the brass have been fired several times. I can fire most .223 cases 3 times before I have to trim, but you should at least be able to fire new brass twice.

And you're making trimming out to be WAY bigger of a deal than it is. Buy the Lee trimming system for .223. Cheap, foolproof, and fast.

Grouse

Well, legitimately, he has enough brass to probably last a lifetime or 20. Unless he is going to shoot a few hundred a weekend anyways. I have so much 30-06 brass, which I rarely shoot anymore, I went years and never used the same brass twice.

My other calibers I only have a hundred or so at any given time, they get used until I can't anymore.

I have a hornady trimmer I'm sure ill start re-using it once I get down to a few hundred rounds. I just got a crazy good deal and only shoot about 300 of my own rounds a year. I just don't know enough to know that I wont lose any accuracy

Originally Posted By: The Famous GrouseWhy would you not reload your brass once you've fired it?

I'm not getting it. That's the whole point of reloading.

Trimming most likely won't come into play until the brass have been fired several times. I can fire most .223 cases 3 times before I have to trim, but you should at least be able to fire new brass twice.

im not getting it either.

and all that new brass you just bought. measure some of those cases at random. im sure you can trim it all more closer than it comes as you buy it.

Originally Posted By: SlickerThanSnot

and all that new brass you just bought. measure some of those cases at random. im sure you can trim it all more closer than it comes as you buy it.

It is a bad is a bad idea to trim new-unfired cases - you will just have to do it again after the first firing.

Originally Posted By: CatShooterOriginally Posted By: SlickerThanSnot

It is a bad is a bad idea to trim new-unfired cases - you will just have to do it again after the first firing.

agree with that. just saying that there is various lenghths when you buy them new. he could sure make them better after shooting them and then prepping them to load.

but yes if you have new brass galore no need to prep it and reload it. lol

Back