Win 760 Shelf life

FairChase93

My father in law has decided to start shooting his rifles again after years of nothing but pistols.
He has several pounds of Win 760 purchased in 1992. It is in the metal cans. He asked what I thought about the shelf life so I thought I'd post the question here. I know this topic has been covered a few times in the past but I can't seem to find a firm answer. Maybe there is not one?
Is there a shelf life on smokeless powder?

Originally Posted By: FairChase93My father in law has decided to start shooting his rifles again after years of nothing but pistols.
He has several pounds of Win 760 purchased in 1992. It is in the metal cans. He asked what I thought about the shelf life so I thought I'd post the question here. I know this topic has been covered a few times in the past but I can't seem to find a firm answer. Maybe there is not one?
Is there a shelf life on smokeless powder?

It is fine.

Stick powder made during the Korean war and WW-2 was sometimes not washed long enough cuz they were in a hurry... but ball powder is solid gold.

[/quote]

It is fine.

Stick powder made during the Korean war and WW-2 was sometimes not washed long enough cuz they were in a hurry... but ball powder is solid gold.

[/quote]

This is what I suspected. Thanks for the info.

Originally Posted By: cornstalkerJust out of curiosity, how do you tell when powder is bad?

Does it smell funny?

Powder normally smells funny (it's Ether - that old tyme hospital small).

It turns brown and looks like dust.

You cannot tell by smell.

It might not be good, just send it to me, and I'll dispose of it....lol. W760 is one of my favorite powders, I use it in a variety of calibers.

Back