the best 17 hmr ammo

The Winchesters do shoot better, much better in my CZ than do any of the other fodder. And it seems that I read an article either in Predator or Shooting Times that also found the WW stuff to be a little more accurate and consistent. Truth be known, if Wally World has the CCI for $11 and Winchester for $12, I'm shooting CCI that day.

No idea, I don't own stock in any of them
laugh.gif
just going of the info I've got. I've been through 2 or 3 rifles, all shot the same itty bitty groups no matter what I loaded in them. Way more hornady than others, availability is better here. I know they had the 'regular'hornady and the 'extreme varmint' or some junk for $2 more last time. Both stated 2550fps and both printed the same on paper. Prairie dogs had the same end result, but the label on the extreme box was more interesting.

The only time I saw a difference was between the 17 and 20gr.

I have 2 (Ruger and CZ) both shoot he Hornady 17gr Vmax super well. I have tried all the different brands and different weights. The Hornady 17 gr Vmax is the best, takes down Prairie Dogs and Badgers with no problems.

I find that the 17 grain v-maxs shoot the best out of my savage- quarter size groups at 125 yards. I can't seem to get the 20 grains to shoot near as good as the v-maxs and they also have a different point of impact so I don't use them interchangebly. Hope you have fun with it!

My cz likes the 20 grainers, the 20 gr Winchesters blew up my 455 ,after lab results came back it was figured I got one with a extra shot of powder and it ruined the mag and stock. And Winchester assured me that cci did not make there 17 ammo.

Over the years, I've always had one rifle that I referred to as my "truck gun". This rifle was hauled around in the pickup, tractor cab, 4-wheeler, or UTV, to used on the farm for whatever use was deemed necessary. I have used the following calibers....243, 223, 22 Mag, 22 LR, and the 17 HMR. I used the 17 to kill 5 coyotes, all one shot kills at ranges up to 100 yards. I rarely, if ever, use the 17 anymore as I have found better choices. But, it worked alright for me, no complaints whatsoever. I think anyone using it needs to realize that it's not a long range round for big critters, and bullet placement is the key.....something that can be said about a lot of different calibers.

Back