New Ruger American 17HMR first time at range

Wallbass45

Well I finally got it to the Range and sighted in. Started with Federal 17hmr poly tips for sighting and wearing in, and not bad to start quarter and smaller @ 50yds.

After 50 rounds of Fed I went with Hornady 17gr. and performed even better @ Dime size groups, then came the CCI 17gr and it performed as good as Hornady 17gr.

So now comes the round that has never shot well in any other HMR I've had, The CCI 20gr. Gamepoint. Let off the first round and it went 1'' high and all the rest followed close for a 9 shot group you could cover with a Quarter. I finally have gun the can shoot 20gr accurately.

Now the Conns of the Rifle: The first round jammed stuck between the mag and chamber, next round fed rough but fed. Same for 6 more then on the last round it hit the bottom of chamber an feed. I screwed around trying figure it out, and if you put up pressure on the mag it would go but never on the last one.

Just so happened that I had an extra mag and tried it and it Fixed the issue, So I will call Ruger and tell them and maybe they will send a new one.

Other than that I'm very happy with it, No Split Necks, FTFs or flyers Had 3 pounds pull OTB and break crisp, I may just keep it there.

That's a good report!

But the little Ruger is capable of better groups than a quarter at 50 yards. You can get those groups at 100 yards. Keep experimenting with ammo ... it'll get better.

And you can find 17HMR ammo almost everywhere when they don't have a bit of .22 mag. On the magazine issue I have noticed on newer magazines that the metal casting that feeds the cartridges isn't as smooth or machined finished as it was on older mags. That can be a factor causing rougher feeding or misfeeding imo. Ruger will take care of any issues no doubt.

Just got off the phone with Ruger and they are sending me a new mag, Great Customer Service!!
I believe it should tighten up as it wears in as it only has 150 down the tube, Will try 100yds next week

Let us know the outcome. I ordered a .22Mag Compact today. Can't wait to mount a scope and get it to the range.

NOW .... anyone know where I can find some ammo?
blink.gif
rolleyes.gif
blink.gif

Originally Posted By: marcoLooks pretty good!I love the HMR great little 200yd crow rifle!

Until the winds blow more than 10 mph.
tongue.gif
I really like my 17HMR too but anything past about 150 with wind blowing is a crap shoot. The wind really pushes that little .17 cal bullet around.

For crows, I generally keep all my shots under 150 for my 17HMR, anything further and I'm pulling out the 20 Practical.

Originally Posted By: HidalgoLet us know the outcome. I ordered a .22Mag Compact today. Can't wait to mount a scope and get it to the range.

blink.gif
rolleyes.gif
blink.gif
I been watching this site and have been successful in finding RF ammo. Its Real Time so updates often. Some are high but I watch for a store that is in my neck of the woods (Cabelas,Gander,Dicks and other LGS) and buy it online and have it shipped to my local store for free, So check this out>>>>> www.Gunbot.net

I have really done well at rebuilding my Ammo reserves

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Wallbass45Originally Posted By: HidalgoLet us know the outcome. I ordered a .22Mag Compact today. Can't wait to mount a scope and get it to the range.

blink.gif
rolleyes.gif
blink.gif
I been watching this site and have been successful in finding RF ammo. Its Real Time so updates often. Some are high but I watch for a store that is in my neck of the woods (Cabelas,Gander,Dicks and other LGS) and buy it online and have it shipped to my local store for free, So check this out>>>>> www.Gunbot.net

I have really done well at rebuilding my Ammo reserves

Thanks for the link! Lots of possibilities if I continue to strike out locally.

I don't shoot the nasty things. Remind me too much of a rat. And I rarely shoot anything (except coyotes, of course) that I don't intend to eat.

I'll post you up some pics of paper clover though.
wink.gif

Back