220 Swift VS 22-250

I have both. The 22-250 ran the Swift out of the market a lot of years ago. There must be a reason why. For actual hunting situations I honestly can't see much difference in performance. Both cartridges kill efficiently and are accurate. My favorite rifle happens to be a 22-250 but my guess is if I had a Sako Forester in 220 Swift just like the 22-250 it would be a tossup.

But......there's just something cool about owning a 220 Swift. Or a 22 Hornet. Or a 218 Bee. Or a 223 Ackley Improved...........

Originally Posted By: pk1I have both. The 22-250 ran the Swift out of the market a lot of years ago. There must be a reason why. For actual hunting situations I honestly can't see much difference in performance. Both cartridges kill efficiently and are accurate. My favorite rifle happens to be a 22-250 but my guess is if I had a Sako Forester in 220 Swift just like the 22-250 it would be a tossup.

But......there's just something cool about owning a 220 Swift. Or a 22 Hornet. Or a 218 Bee. Or a 223 Ackley Improved...........

"There must be a reason why."?? The reason does not relate to the merits of the cartridge.

The 243 won over the 244/6mm Remington, even though the 244/6mm Remington is a better cartridge - and there are many examples like that.

The 7mm Express lost to the 280... even though they are both, exactly the same cartridge.
tt2.gif

That one cartridge stays and one diminishes or disappears, more often has little to do with the merits of the cartridges, and more to do with the people making decisions, both in the business, and at the sales counter

In spite of many predictions of the death of the .220 Swift, the Swift is still here.

The 22-250 became the common man's "bread and butter" varmint rifle, and the .220 Swift became the champagne varmint rifle of the elite. Go to shoot woodchucks with a bunch of guys and someone asks, "Whatcha got..." if you say a 22-250, the reply is, "Me too, and Fred has one too...", but it you say a .220 Swift., the reply is, "Ooo Ooo, cool, lemme see."

"But... there's just something cool about owning a 220 Swift. Or a 22 Hornet. Or a 218 Bee."

Got them all... and TWO 6mm/244 Remingtons (and I never owned a 243)
tt2.gif

Quote:The 243 won over the 244/6mm Remington, even though the 244/6mm Remington is a better cartridge - and there are many examples like that.

I have heard this from other people, but what makes it a better cartridge than the 243?

In my opinion, "better" is subjective. But there is nothing that the .243 can do that the 6mm Remington cannot do too with a bit more velocity to boot.

Just as a handloader can surpass normal .22-250 speeds with his .220 Swift the same can be said with the .243 Winchester and the 6mm Remington. Enough to make much of a difference? No, not really. But a bit of a difference true enough.

Back in the middle 50's if Remington had marketed the 6mm (then the .244 Remington) as a deer round that can be used on varmints (which is what Winchester did with the .243) instead of just a varmint caliber things likely would have been different these days.

I say there is only one way to solve this and that means break out wallet and get them both. I love my 22-250 shot lots of coyotes with it just got my hands on a swift and I already love it .

I like my 22-250 AI that I believe has about equal performance to the 220. I've heard that some swifts can have feeding problems, however I have heard that about some Ackleys too. Never had a bad 22-250.

Let's see... 100fps faster, less wind drift, more energy on target. These may all be small things to some, but I shoot at small things, and yes it sometimes makes all the difference. Why anyone still compares the two is beyond me. Almost as good as a Swift, will always be the curse of the 22-250.

I also shoot a 6MM Remington, and would never buy a .243, unless it was a good deal!
smile.gif

I bought a 220 swift a good many years ago. Since that I have owned two 22-250's well long story short, I don't have the 22-250s anymore but I still have my old 220 swift...

Jason

I own rifles chambered in both of the .224" cartridges and I also own rifles chambered in both of the .243"/6MM cartridges.

Comparing each other - or for that matter most anything that evolves into a X vs Y thing on the internet - is like asking 1 million people to each count the number of fairies clustered on the head of a hat pin and expecting everyone to agree. It ain't happenin'...

Those who own one of them have definite opinions that they'd take to the grave in a life and death struggle, and even those who own both have preferences for numerous reasons that might not be the next guy's idea of perfection.

Pick one - or pick both - and enjoy what you have. Asking 572 strangers on the internet as to how you should live your life is not the best way to do things.....at least for most people who are capable of decision making on their own..

Have had several of both. Still have all the 220's, and not a single 250. The 250s were nice guns, not saying they were bad, there is just something about a 220!

I have been handloading the swift for 56 years with no problems,
I saw this year Remington is offering the swift in the 700 line.
I have two 220's that came from the Winchester custom shop.
I hunt with a Ruger mark II. If I miss it is my fault.
Check this site for problems that people have loading the 22-250.
Then check for the 220. You will buy a 220 Swift. I still load a 45gr HP.
I saw my Dad kill a fork horn mule deer at 200yds with his. The deer just fell over.

i love a swift.. have several and they all shoot very well. I also have several 22-250's. There is a definite diff in with the two, but H***... I like 'em all...!

I've got both in 26" Varmints, both 12" twist and there really isn't much I can do with the Swift that I can't do with the 22-250. Major benefit of the 250 is less powder needed. Accuracy is a tossup as both shoot very well. The Swift does have the cool factor going for it though.

Originally Posted By: willy1947

Never heard that before. Exactly what "problems"?

Originally Posted By: AckmanOriginally Posted By: willy1947

Never heard that before. Exactly what "problems"?

if they have problems loading for 22-250 they probably shouldnt be loading for anything.

I have had both and really like them, as far as performance goes I really cant see a difference, the swift I had was probably one of the most accurate rifles I have owned, wasn't really a barn burning load either(60gr Sierra at about 3500fps) if I could only do one though I would go with the 250 better availability on just about everything.

Just to add a little fuel to the fire I did some searching on the Hodgdon web sight for both the 22-250 and the 220 Swift.

I chose the 52Gr. bullet, IMR,Hodgdon,and Winchester powders, selected all powders.

Here is what I came up with.

22-250
Bullet 52Gr HDY. A-Max (Per Hodgdon DATA) Powder Hodgdon CFE Max charge 39.3, FPS 3,932 @63,100 CUP

220 Swift
Bullet 52 Gr. Sierra HPBT (per Hodgdon DATA)Powder IMR4007 42.0 Gr. Max, FPS 3,820 @52,600 CUP

They used 24" barrel for both with 1-14 Twist.

It does seem by this (Hodgdon DATA) that it is possible for the 22-250 to out preform the 220 Swift by a very few FPS in Hodgdon's test for the 52 Gr. bullet.

Went and looked at 4 different manuals for a 52 Gr. bullet and the 220 Swift out performed the 22-250 in all the manuals. Not by a whole lot but by approx 100 FPS / 200 FPS.(the Sierra manual is the only one with the 200 FPS spread)

Now I do have a 22-250 in an OLD Ruger Varminter. One of the better 22-250 I have had.

Never had a 220 Swift, but would love to.

Which one is the best? Well I would say which ever you own.

AS far as a barrel burner between the two it Stands to reason the 220 Swift should be the worst of the two (using the same powder). That is if both were shot the exact same rate of fire .
The swift burns more powder for a slightly longer duration of burn time.
ohmy.gif

The real variable comes with the shooter and the rate of fire.IMHO

To me having a 220 Swift would be like having a .264 Win. Mag. in a Pre. 64 Model 70 Winchester rifle.

I have a .264 Win. Mag. Pre 64 MOd. 70 Winchester, there are cartridges that out preform the .264Win. Mag. But Me thinks it is the cool factor that makes it for me.
tt2.gif

Last edited:
I own a Remington 700VS IN 220 Swift. Have had it since 2003. Absolutely love it and would never get rid of it!
Just recently, bought a Remington Model 7 Predator in 22-250... Bought it for a LIGHT carry rifle for groundhogs and coyotes. Can honestly say, there isn't much different between the calibers... If I had to get rid of one... Would be the 22-250... Just because I could never get rid of my Swift.. No matter how heavy it is..even though it has 5000+ rounds through it, it's still my pride and joy... Just my $.02... Either way, enjoy either one and shoot lights out with both!

The Swift got tagged with the barrel burner rap long before I ever shot one. When the 22-250 was first made as a factory cartridge the Swift wasn't being made anymore. The 22-250 filled the gap.
The Sako 243 I bought instead was a lemon so after talking to a friend who happened to be the Sako distributor for the west I traded it in for a Sako 22-250. At that time I was one of the top producers with the old CVCA in California and the 22-250 upped my kills.

I've owned 6 22-250's, 3 of which I own right now. I only hunt predators, mostly coyotes. I figure I've killed a few hundred of them with a 22-250 and I have every confidence in the cartridge. I also have every confidence with the Swift. I prefer shooting my Sakos over everything else so it's the gun rather than the cartridge that decides what I take to the field.

I also have a Sako L461 Vixen that I converted to 223AI that I dearly love to shoot. It's light and highly accurate but doesn't have the punch of either the 22-250 or the Swift but it's adequate.

In my lifetime I've seen the Swift come and go and come again. Some manufacturers will make a special run of them and it's a great cartridge. IMO it doesn't deserve the bad rap it got about burning barrels. I hunt predators so it's unlikely that I would burn out a barrel. I sight in the rifle and hunt. I don't run bunches of rounds through the barrel to really heat it up.

Last edited:
Back