How do YOU do it?

Chupathingy

When working up a load we all know that you start low and work up in increments. What I'm interested in is, what are YOUR increments? 1/10? .5gr? 1gr? 7/16gr?

How do YOU do it?

Chupa

Originally Posted By: ChupathingyWhen working up a load we all know that you start low and work up in increments. What I'm interested in is, what are YOUR increments? 1/10? .5gr? 1gr? 7/16gr?

How do YOU do it?

Chupa

I use 1/2gr steps for cases in the 221 Furball to 22-250 range, and 1gr steps for 6mm/244 Remington, 270 and larger.

My first tests are to look for accuracy trends and to determine max loads for each type of bullet/powder.

When I evaluate the results, I go back and do smaller steps as required - I never do 1/10gr steps, but I will do 2/10ths gr for Furball and .218 Bee type cases.

I use 1/2gr steps for cases in the 221 Furball to 22-250 range, and 1gr steps for 6mm/244 Remington, 270 and larger.

My first tests are to look for accuracy trends and to determine max loads for each type of bullet/powder.

When I evaluate the results, I go back and do smaller steps as required - I never do 1/10gr steps, but I will do 2/10ths gr for Furball and .218 Bee type cases.

[/quote]

Pretty much what I do.

Originally Posted By: CatShooterOriginally Posted By: ChupathingyWhen working up a load we all know that you start low and work up in increments. What I'm interested in is, what are YOUR increments? 1/10? .5gr? 1gr? 7/16gr?

How do YOU do it?

Chupa

Same here. The smaller the case capacity the smaller the steps but never less than 2/10.

Yep cat is right on. I will mess around with a 2/10 of a grain to fine tune a load occasionally but its rarely made a big difference. Probably more error in the components than I could squeeze out of a 1/10 of a grain.

Half grain increments from three grains below max on everything over 22 caliber, for 22's I work up at .2 grain per step, starting 2 grains below max. Very similar to others certainly, I was learned just a bit different I guess.

Work with the best load at the .5 grain mark and load up and down .01 grn to find a sweet spot. After that, work with seating depth.

This is for long range type shooters. General deer/coyote rifles only demand 1.375" or better at 100 yards.

I use .5 gr step across the board. Then go back and verify the load for velocity sd and es and will check this over the seasons to get a good idea what the load will do in different conditions.

Mr. O

Pretty much what everyone else said.

Once I find the load I like best, then I start playing with 1/10 increments, seating deapth, etc if I need to.

Originally Posted By: Mr. OutdoorsI use .5 gr step across the board. Then go back and verify the load for velocity sd and es and will check this over the seasons to get a good idea what the load will do in different conditions.

Mr. O

Same here

Originally Posted By: 5spd1/2g for small cases and 1.0g for large cases.
I start close to the speed I want then go for accuracy.

+1 One of the things I have not been able to come to grips with (read pet peeve)is when I read or see someone shooting say a 22-250 with 50gr bullets at 3300-3400fps and I think WHY? Just get a .223 if you want to go slow.
rolleyes.gif

Originally Posted By: venaticOriginally Posted By: 5spd1/2g for small cases and 1.0g for large cases.

+1 One of the things I have not been able to come to grips with (read pet peeve)is when I read or see someone shooting say a 22-250 with 50gr bullets at 3300-3400fps and I think WHY? Just get a .223 if you want to go slow.
rolleyes.gif

Maybe they believe that they are saving their barrel by loading slow. Makes no sense to me either.

Greg

Originally Posted By: venaticOriginally Posted By: 5spd1/2g for small cases and 1.0g for large cases.

rolleyes.gif

Haha! The load I'm going to start next is going to be intentionally slow. Gotta be a reduced pressure load in a 1916 Spanish short rifle. Going to be a 165gr Sierra SP at about 2500 FPS according to Hodgdon with BLC-2.

I've never used BLC-2, how do ya'll like it?

Chupa

Originally Posted By: Chupathingy
I've never used BLC-2, how do ya'll like it?

Chupa

BL-C2 is OK... flows like water through a measure, but don't work up max loads in the winter, and shoot them in August.

I used to load tons of it when Moses came down the mountain with those rocks - but I haven't shot it since it was $2.35 a pound.

I've been loading my .223 cased stuff (20 Prac, .223, 6X45) at .2 or .3 grain increments and I was loading my 6BR and .243 at .4 grain increments for load testing.

Once I find a nice node I have loaded .1 - .2 grain increments and played with seating depth to try and fine tune a load.

Last edited:
BL-C2 should do fine. Since you are staying on the lighter end you won't need to worry if it builds a little more pressure in the high temperatures. I just loaded two pounds of it here recently in .223 ammo for 3Gun and you know how hot it is around these parts.
tongue.gif
No problems and most of it has been fired.

Last edited:
I found this to be a pretty interesting post. A friend taught me years ago to go in 1/10's . We did five shot groups which I now do 3 rounds with each load. I was really surprised how the groups would vary from fliers , really spread out to at some point finally the group would tighten up and you produce that sweet load you want. Can't really say I will change my method even after reading this. I think it's surprising to see how each load can vary by adding 1/10 grain .

Thanks for the post Chupa.

Back