RRA 2 stage trigger

I have one and loved it until I shot my buddies Super Semi-Automatic Enhanced (SSA-E) Trigger. Could a gunsmith improve my second stage? I really don't won't to spend $230 on a trigger.

Spending money on the RRA 2 stage is not going to make it as nice as the other trigger. You would be better off spending the money on a new trigger if you want something different.

The geometry and metallurgy isn't going to change if the gunsmith works it over a bit. You can polish the parts, but that's about it. The Geissele SSA-E is a bit nicer trigger but its also twice the cost. You may be able to smooth it out a smidgen and reduce the trigger pull with JP Reduced Power Springs but it probably won't be as good as an SSA-E regardless of what is done to it.

Last edited:
For my personal use, the RRNM trigger is plenty good for a hunting rifle. If I were shooting strictly benchrest competitions, that would be a different story. Just my opinion.

I really like the trigger just wanted any improvement that was attainable. Didn't expected it could be made to perform as the SSA-E, I'm not spending for a SSA-E.

Originally Posted By: bdadthurmanI have one and loved it until I shot my buddies Super Semi-Automatic Enhanced (SSA-E) Trigger. Could a gunsmith improve my second stage? I really don't won't to spend $230 on a trigger.

NO, spend the money and smile.

Originally Posted By: willy1947Originally Posted By: bdadthurmanI have one and loved it until I shot my buddies Super Semi-Automatic Enhanced (SSA-E) Trigger. Could a gunsmith improve my second stage? I really don't won't to spend $230 on a trigger.

NO, spend the money and smile.

Probably will come to this.

Originally Posted By: cornstalkerFor the price, that JP kit looks like it would definitely be worth a try. Might give that a whirl myself...

I have the JP "yellow" spring kit in mine. I never shot it without, so can't give you a comparison, but I love how it shoots with.

Originally Posted By: bdadthurmanDo these springs give a different poundage of trigger pull??

The JP reduced power trigger springs will reduce the trigger pull, yes. Results very a little but expect ~1lb of gross reduction. However, with the RRA 2 stage trigger some experience light primer strikes so some only install the reduced trigger spring and leave the hammer spring along, or use the JP Enhanced Reliability Springs which have a slightly heavier hammer spring than the Reduced Power set.

I had a RRA NM 2 stage trigger I polished and resprung the disconnector. It was 1# 14 oz on the first stage with a 8 oz second stage let off. Changing the disconnector spring requires removing the riveted pin that the disconnector pivots on. It was great for bench work in my WOA 26" gun! The 8 oz let off was too light for winter use. With gloves on I would just blow through the second stage stop.

Brad

Originally Posted By: CATWHISKERSRRA 2 stage NM ARE GREAT TRIGGERS WITH JP SPRINGS.
FOR THE AVERAGE JOE.

DANG! I thought I was a fairly decent shot. Now, I'm just an Average Joe.
angry.gif

Tell you what ... let's get together sometime and have a competition. Of course you'd win because I just got one of those "average" triggers ......
rolleyes.gif

Originally Posted By: BearWhat are the pros and cons of a 2 stage trigger versus a single stage trigger for an AR?

The general consensus is the twos let you drop the final pull weight and gives you a bit more precsie control for shooting those litle groups and better shot placement.

The single stages are basically just like 90% of the sporting rilfe triggers outthere. Three pounds is the general weight minimum. With the twos you can get down in the eight once range. It costs you but it is sweet when shooting for those X's at 500 or so.

You can shoot eiher fast though for run and gun a single is my choice. For shooting PD's I like my two stagers. Not as good as a set trigger but certainly an asset to me.

I have Timneys, BTE's and Geisseles. The G's is the High Speed and I love it. The BTE is, IMHO, a better feeling trigger than the Timmney and has become my pickfor my new builds. I just put together a new 3Gun AR and that is the one I went with. Another plus is they are a bit less expensive. Oddly enough they are made right here in Phoenix just like theTimneys.

Greg

Originally Posted By: JoeBobOutfittersOriginally Posted By: bdadthurmanDo these springs give a different poundage of trigger pull??

The JP reduced power trigger springs will reduce the trigger pull, yes. Results very a little but expect ~1lb of gross reduction. However, with the RRA 2 stage trigger some experience light primer strikes so some only install the reduced trigger spring and leave the hammer spring along, or use the JP Enhanced Reliability Springs which have a slightly heavier hammer spring than the Reduced Power set.

Thanks bud

The rock river NM trigger is an OK replacement for the stock trigger, but its no geissele NM or DMR. The geissele is the bees knees for the AR.. They say the AR golds are good also but I have no experience with them.. The rock river would be a better hunting trigger IMO.

Back