who's got an ol' savage 340 in .222?

geode

How do they shoot? How's the trigger? I recently picked up a .223 but i've still got this hankerin' for a .222 just for nostalgia.

I have one and it shoots great. The trigger is so so on it.. the only problem I have is the magizine is a little finaky....Dont know if its from the wear and tear over the years or if its just nature of the beast.
Mine was well used when I go it as a gift from my uncle...
I love the 222 round and am in the process of rebarreling a stevens 200 chambered in .223 to the loveable .222.

I had one for years and like a BIG DUMMY, I got rid of it. I wanted something more sexy, if you know what I mean.

Sure wish I ahd it back. It shot great. Only thing I had against it was the barrel band it had up near the forarm tip. It seemed that when it got humid out i would have to re-sight it in. Then do it again when it dried out. But it sure shot great with just about any reload I tried in it.

I have 3 222's right not but wish I had that old 340 back.

Had one, Dad and an aunt both still do. Good guns, a lot of groundhogs and a few deer died after tug of the trigger on those guns. Try to make sure it comes with the scope mount - harder to find those nowadays.

i have a 340E model and it shoots great. i worked the trigger a little and its better than factory. I'm planning on rebelling it to a 300 whisper.

Originally Posted By: varminter05I have one and it shoots great. The trigger is so so on it.. the only problem I have is the magizine is a little finaky....Dont know if its from the wear and tear over the years or if its just nature of the beast.
Mine was well used when I go it as a gift from my uncle...
I love the 222 round and am in the process of rebarreling a stevens 200 chambered in .223 to the loveable .222.

Think that magazine issue it partly the nature of the beast. My dad had one in a 22 Hornet 50yrs ago. He absolutely loved that rifle, but always mentioned the mag was a little problematic. I now have a 340C in .222, haven't shot it enough to know how the mag functions. Would love to have one in a Hornet.

First rifle I bought myself killed alot of fox with it back when we had them. Shoots great trigger needs work.Great size gun for kids both of my started out on it.

I can't believe this post is up right now, I traded mine away this afternoon, it had the best wood I have ever seen on an old savage. I might regret it down the line, but I couldn't pass up the offer that a guy made on it.

I've had a Model 340 in .222 since about 1959 and, although I only groundhog hunt with it occasionally, it's gonna stay with me til I stop hunting and then go to my son. I had a little Weaver B6 scope on it initially before going to a Lyman 10X All-American. It was my first varmint rifle and the first cartridge I reloaded for. Two of my sons shot this gun as their first centerfire when I started them out groundhog and target shooting. Butt ugly and doesn't have a crisp trigger but what a great shooter. The .222 cartridge is a great round and I much prefer it to the .223 that I have in the T/C Encore platform. Too bad the popularity of the .223 has taken the .222 off the radar for some shooters. Next to the .17 Fireball, the .222 is my favorite small centerfire round to shoot. I also had a .22 Hornet in the Model 340 and regrettably I traded it a number of years ago.

I have one in .222 it shoots ok. i refinished the stock because it was all beat up. it shoots ok but i think the barrel band on the foreend is either streched or the stock was changed befroe i got it because its loose. but still shoots decent.

My buddy and I went to the gun store Monday to trade his 340D in .222 Rem in on a Rem 788 in .222. Of course as soon as we got the the 788 had been sold.

Just came accross this forum and I know it's old but I was doing some research on My grandfathers Savage .222. So, I remember this gun from when I was a kid. I never saw my grandfather shoot it but he use to tell stories about how great it was. I got the gun in 1995 when he passed away and have never shot it. It looks like it wasn't ever shot (at least not much).

Great gun, mine worked great, I don't regret selling as it has a good home.

1950's Rifle, 1960's scope 4x

Same rifle with a 3x scope at 100 yrds just to show the top group wasn't just a fluke.

Fajen stock, shown with Weaver 4.75x Grand Slam. I believe that Weaver and B-square still make mounts for them.

Last edited:
Back