NEW cheap IR illuminator option!!!

huntinggamo

Just purchased a new IR illuminator and figured I would post a Photo and a quick review.

Im sure most of you are familiar with the UNV-20 IR and LLTL-001. They are both T20 based lights that have been converted to IR. If you are not here are the links to their lights.

UNV-20 IR $194.99
http://www.ultimatenightvision.com/20-IR-Infrared-LED-Illuminator-Flashlight-p/unv-20ir.htm

LLTL-001 $224.99
http://www.hightechredneckincorporated.com/LED-Light-Technolgy-Labs-Model-LLTL-001-p/nva3155.htm

Also the TNVC Torch Pro for comparison
http://tnvc.com/shop/tnvc-torch-pro-infrared-illuminator/

I already Own a LLTL-001 and absolutely love it, but the price was a bit steep. I recently stumbled on a local guy that builds and customizes LED flashlights, I needed another IR light for hunting so I figured I would talk to him. He built me the exact same light for $75-$100 cheaper than the two above lights. he also built me a two mode pigtail pressure switch to go with the light by frankensteining one off of another light and using a spare tailcap. The switch is nice as it has a momentary feature but also a constant on/off feature. I have been looking high and low for the pigtail and could not find one. I compared this light side by side with my LLTL-001 and my TNVC torch pro. it was exactly the same in performance to the LLTL-001 and was Outperformed by the torch pro. but that was expected. for the price I think this was a great find. apparently he buys his components in bulk and just has his time into the stuff so its not bad.

Pros:
Uses 18650 rechargeable batteries
Lightweight
lense focus stays where it is put
1" tube fits in standard scope ring for mounting to rail
pigtail switch available (cant find anywhere)
great light output, at full focus I can clearly make out my 800 YD coyote steel plate through my PVS-22.
Finish looks good and is holding up so far.

Cons:
Consumer grade, its fairly durable but its definatly not milspec. but it seems to be waterproof / resistant and I have not managed to break it yet, thats saying alot.
Beam at full focus is square and looks odd, takes some getting used to
beam is so bright it can autogate NV at close range if fully focused, not to big of a deal but i did notice it.

Here is the pic of what I received:

light-1.jpg

I have been off the forum for a few years, figured i would come back and start off with some good gear. keep an eye out for me as i have been doing a lot of coyote hunting and competitive shooting as of late. plan on being more active on here and doing some more reviews and some show and tell. just got a new FLIR-RS64, had the thing less than a month and it already has 3 song dogs to its name. but thats another post.

Last edited:
Sorry about that, I love my torch pro. As soon as I get home I'll fix that. Don't know why I did not think of that, was just thinking of showing the same light so people knew what I was talking about.

Sent from my Samsung S4

Did he make it a single or 3 mode? I probably sell 20 three mode T20s to every single mode T20. A converted T20 will never surpass a Torch Pro in quality or performance but they do outperform every other flashlight style IR illuminator out there.

Originally Posted By: huntinggamoSorry about that, I love my torch pro. As soon as I get home I'll fix that. Don't know why I did not think of that, was just thinking of showing the same light so people knew what I was talking about.

Sent from my Samsung S4

No issue Brother. Do you know if that tether is easy to remove? I like the idea and of course not needed when it's on a shootin' stick.

How is the vis glow from the IR LED Pill? All IR LED's suffer from this, some more or less depending on a few things such as wavelength used, number of pills, depth of pill etc.

Originally Posted By: norbsDid he make it a single or 3 mode? I probably sell 20 three mode T20s to every single mode T20. A converted T20 will never surpass a Torch Pro in quality or performance but they do outperform every other flashlight style IR illuminator out there.

i chose the single mode but he did offer to do a 3 mode.

Originally Posted By: Victor_TNVCOriginally Posted By: huntinggamoSorry about that, I love my torch pro. As soon as I get home I'll fix that. Don't know why I did not think of that, was just thinking of showing the same light so people knew what I was talking about.

Sent from my Samsung S4

No issue Brother. Do you know if that tether is easy to remove? I like the idea and of course not needed when it's on a shootin' stick.

How is the vis glow from the IR LED Pill? All IR LED's suffer from this, some more or less depending on a few things such as wavelength used, number of pills, depth of pill etc.

yes the tether takes about 2 sec to remove it is just looped through a hole in the tailcap stand/button shroud.

it does have a little red glow but its not bad. at full focus you can only see it if you are directly in the beam, on a dark night you can see it until about 60 yards at full focus, at point blank range the glow is worse on flood mode but its only visible until about 20yds as you walk away.

Last edited:
Back