Lookin for a new trap shotgun.

I have a Browning O/U Ultra XS Sporting Clays 30" that I shoot Trap, Skeet and Sporting Clays with. It works great for me.

Look around for a good used Browning or Beretta O/U you can save $600.00 to a $1000.00 by getting a used shotgun.

For plain stock shotguns it's really hard to beat the Berreta. Both the 686 and the A400. A friend just purchased The A400 that comes with the blue receiver and that is one heck of a fine shooting and feeling shotgun. If you want something with a little style the Browning Maxus Golden Sporting Clay is a fine shot gun that not only performs but looks great doing it. Just like everybody else has said it's what ever fits you and your budget if you pick up enough guns, one will eventually just feel right. In my experience when it comes to semi auto shotguns once you get to about the 1200 dollar mark they will function with any kind of load you wish to run through them.

Thanks for the input everyone. Trap range wasn't open so I didn't get to go and talk to anyone or check the used listings.

Dad has been looking and talking to people up in MT. Everyone up there keeps telling him to get a 32"-34" even for skeet. I still think I would rather have a 30" it may not do trap or skeet well but it should be enough for now.

The Blue Recievered Beretta A400 is the Xcel model, I like the looks of the gun but haven't been able to really check them out, the one I did see was one that a guy had fitted specifically to himself.

Yep the Xcel that's what it is. That gun is the softest kicking 12 ga. I've ever shot, granted I've only shot it a few times. He ran 1 oz 8 shot right out of the box. I seen him put the first 150 shots through it with light target loads with no malfunctions. Now 150 isn't a lot so take it for what it's worth but I know that me personally I was blown away by that shotgun.

Well, wandered around today and handled everything I could. Even $5,000 Perazzis just for kicks and giggles.

Checked out the

Browning BT-99, nice gun but with the 34" barrel it was way to nose heavy for me, also would be useless for doubles or skeet.

Various field guns from you name a company.

Berretta Silver Pigeons.

Browning Citoris

Berretta A400 Xcels.

Hands down I like the A400 Xcel the most. Ugly but I loved the way they fit and feel. I still like the fit and feel of the Silver Pigeons more than the Citoris so I am not sure.

Cant decide between the Over/under Silver Pigeon or the Semi A400 Xcel Both have their pros and cons Might just have to run in and play with them both again, side by side.

Might as well give the Ruger OU a look to.All I hear about them is they are better than the originals at a great price foe an American made gum.

It really is about fit. I have owned Beretta O/Us, and a
couple of their 390 semi-autos. Nice shotguns, but they just
did not fit me well, so I don't own them anymore. I have
a Ruger Red Label 28 ga. It fits me well. I have a 12 ga.
and 20 ga. Browning Citori White Lightnings, they fit me
well. The Browning low profile O/Us(Cynergy, and 725s) do
not fit me. The good old Remington 1100/11-87s fit me well,
and I have a couple of them. I have a Browning Maxus, and
a Winchester SX-3 20 ga. I have used their stock shims, and
now they fit me well, too.

Which ever one you like the feel of, try this test. Pick
a target, close your eyes, mount the shotgun, with your
eyes closed, without moving your head. Is the rib flat,
bead/s aligned, and on or near target? If so you are on
the right track. If not, either look into fitting, or test
another shotgun. Next shoot it. If the recoil feels "good",
and your cheek doesn't take a hit, you are getting close.
Now shoot some clays...Do you have a smooth swing, and a good
follow through? Is breaking targets almost effortless? Do
you surprise yourself with some target breaks, you think
might be misses? If so, this is your shotgun. If not,
even with good fit, this probably isn't a good "clays"
gun for you. My Browning Maxus fits me well, but it is
too light for me to get a smooth swing on the clays range.
It works for me shooting out of a layout boat, waterfowl
hunting, but standing at a trap station, I am likely to
over/under swing on little orange disks.

Squeeze

Thanks all! Spent more than I planned picked up a beretta 686 onyx pro trap. Picked it up for $2325. Was more than I planned but it has more of a Monte Carlo stock and the rib is raised up a little bit but it fits me a lot better than the silver pigeon. 30" tubes. Not sure if it will really do well on the skeet range but hopefully I can go shoot some trap with her tomorrow. Maybe get some pics too

Went and shot 2 rounds with her today and let dad shoot a 3rd. Trigger is good, heck of a lot nicer than what I am used to.. Not sure how it would stack up to anything that cost more.

Only shot the bottom barrel today, running 8 shot and a modified choke I didn't do too hot. Figure next weekend Ill give the top barrel a try and step back into my 7.5 shot with a IM choke. Its going to take a little getting use to, doesn't run like a pump gun but I quite enjoyed it. Fits pretty danged good too, didn't have any issues getting behind it and having to re adjust. Might have also been the heat throwing me off. Dark gun, over dark lava rock trap range gets pretty hot.

Heres a couple pics, they don't do it justice. Also didn't while it down from shooting yet. Its hard getting the whole gun in a picture!!

I took a Beretta Golden Snipe on trade in near perfect condition. Is not threaded for chokes but has a single selective trigger and extractors. Super tight lockup and the shiniest bores i've ever seen. Anyone know anything about these? Its almost to good looking to take to the trap range.

Originally Posted By: the noobie
Only shot the bottom barrel today, running 8 shot and a modified choke I didn't do too hot. Figure next weekend Ill give the top barrel a try and step back into my 7.5 shot with a IM choke.

So what yard line did you shoot from? My team is average
at best, so we shoot handicap league, from the 20 yd line.
I shoot a Citori White Lightning, with Carlson extended
chokes. Improved Modified is in my top barrel, which is
my primary. If I think I need bigger patterns, I switch to
my bottom barrel, with a Modified Carlson Extended choke.
I have a current 23/25 average, which is down a bit for me,
but the Citori is new this year, so it took part of the season
to get comfortable with the shotgun.

Bigger shot, and a more open choke, will not be your friend,
except maybe at the 16 yard line, and quick trigger pulls.

Since you mentioned the different feel, of the O/U, for you,
I am going to guess your misses were more to do with changes
in your swing, rather than poor patterning. You should pattern
each barrel, at 35, 40, and 45 yards, with several chokes,
and loads. You could have a POI issue with the gun/your mount,
or just crappy patterns at the ranges you likely will be
shooting at targets.

Nice Shotgun choice. Hopefully you become one with it, and
it starts making targets turn to dust.

Squeeze

I was only shooting from the 16 yard. Me and my dad took my little brother to the trap range for the first time so we all were shooting from the 16. I will agree I need to go pattern the gun, just see where I am hitting with both barrels at various ranges. Ill get around to that when I head back to Idaho in a week or so. It seemed I was either destroying the clays or just missing them. None were just partial breaks they all turned to dust.

Last year i switched to an IM choke in my pump gun and quit shooting 8 shot loads. Ill give this guns IM choke a try and shoot my 7.5 shot to see what happens. I feel like I just need to slow down, I think I may have been shooting where my 28" pump gun would be, not the O/U.

Back