anyone use a .17 on your trap line

Trapped animal = My S&W 63 (.22lr) with whatever bulk pack junk I have on hand. At 4 ft it doesn't take much to dispatch any animal with a good brain shot. If I had a dime for every animal that has succumbed to that gun I might be able to retire one day.
Now, ifin' you is wantin' to buy a .17 go fer it.

I take the 17fb with me when I run traps, just incase that one yote decides to pull out when get close to em lol. usually I take the .22 its cheaper to shoot and quieter also

There's nothing better then a .17 on fur.. I use a 17 mach 2 and so does my fur buyer. The .17 hmr is a little to big for executing in the trap because it will leave a kind messy exit hole but they do have a bit more range. The .17mach2 is built on the .22LR casing opposed to the HMR that is built off the .22magnum so imagine having a 177cal pellet gun that shoots 100yards dead nuts accurately @ 3000fps.. it'll penetrate thru barn steel like its tin foil but at 90yards or 1inch it will not exit a living target it just explodes into glitter.. best gun I have

I would go with a 17mach2 if you are interested in the 17. But I like 22 or 22 shorts. I've never had trouble with fur damage with either and they are generally cheaper.

Back