Redding seating micrometer fit lee die?

Somehow I've made it 25 years hand loading my own ammo without a micrometer seating die..

All it does is offer you a small more precise adjustment when setting the seating depth. It does not seat bullets any straighter, nor does it solve varying OAL issues that arise from changing ogive dimensions. If one takes a bit of time with any good seater die you can hit any OAL you want. I think you would be much better served with a quality set of dies like these to start with. These Forster's are nice and the seaters are very good.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/184923/...=ProductFinding

Last edited:
No because it involves the seating mechanism and the distance from top of die to it will be incompatible. If you can handle adequate but not the absolute best get a Hornady seater and thier micrometer top. Less than $40.00 for both out the door.

The spring loading on the Redding does help in run out but the Hornady lacks that. The Forster micrometer top is also a great seater along the same design as the Redding.

Greg

Originally Posted By: GLShooterNo because it involves the seating mechanism and the distance from top of die to it will be incompatible. If you can handle adequate but not the absolute best get a Hornady seater and thier micrometer top. Less than $40.00 for both out the door.

The spring loading on the Redding does help in run out but the Hornady lacks that. The Forster micrometer top is also a great seater along the same design as the Redding.

Greg

Can you tell me where I can get a Hornady micrometer top right now? I backordered one on Midway and the first date was a month from my order, now it is 2015.

Ok thanks for the information. Would you guys recommend just buying a forster ultra micrometer seating die over getting standard redding seating die and the micrometer seating stem? It would be nice to go the second route since I could swap the seating stem out between my 223 and 22-250 dies.

Originally Posted By: FurhunterSomehow I've made it 25 years hand loading my own ammo without a micrometer seating die..

All it does is offer you a small more precise adjustment when setting the seating depth. It does not seat bullets any straighter, nor does it solve varying OAL issues that arise from changing ogive dimensions. If one takes a bit of time with any good seater die you can hit any OAL you want. I think you would be much better served with a quality set of dies like these to start with. These Forster's are nice and the seaters are very good.

One other thing it does is allow you to return to a numbered setting if you are using the same seater for different bullets. If you aren't concerned with that, the plain old Forster bench rest dies that FH posted the link to are great.
I have both types on the shelf, and I never use the micrometer feature on the ones that have it.

Originally Posted By: NorTex250Originally Posted By: GLShooterNo because it involves the seating mechanism and the distance from top of die to it will be incompatible. If you can handle adequate but not the absolute best get a Hornady seater and thier micrometer top. Less than $40.00 for both out the door.

Greg

Can you tell me where I can get a Hornady micrometer top right now? I backordered one on Midway and the first date was a month from my order, now it is 2015.

I got three off Amazon a couple of months ago. I think they actually came from Optics Planet

Greg

PS: I just checked and Amazon does have them.

Originally Posted By: fw707Originally Posted By: FurhunterSomehow I've made it 25 years hand loading my own ammo without a micrometer seating die..

One other thing it does is allow you to return to a numbered setting if you are using the same seater for different bullets. If you aren't concerned with that, the plain old Forster bench rest dies that FH posted the link to are great.
I have both types on the shelf, and I never use the micrometer feature on the ones that have it.

A simpleton like myself has a dummy round made up with the bullet of choice. I just put it in the press and reset my seater die to that dummy round.

Or....
I load more ammo before I run out of the last batch and use one of those rounds to reset the seater... That is if I've monkeyed with the die, if not it stays set.
Its the K.I.S.S method.

Originally Posted By: FurhunterOriginally Posted By: fw707Originally Posted By: FurhunterSomehow I've made it 25 years hand loading my own ammo without a micrometer seating die..

A simpleton like myself has a dummy round made up with the bullet of choice. I just put it in the press and reset my seater die to that dummy round.

Or....
I load more ammo before I run out of the last batch and use one of those rounds to reset the seater... That is if I've monkeyed with the die, if not it stays set.
Its the K.I.S.S method.

Just threw it out there.
No more micrometer dies for me either.
thumbup1.gif

Originally Posted By: Speedy7722Ok thanks for the information. Would you guys recommend just buying a forster ultra micrometer seating die over getting standard redding seating die and the micrometer seating stem? It would be nice to go the second route since I could swap the seating stem out between my 223 and 22-250 dies.

If you swap the stem from one die to another you might as well not even have it. You will have to reset it every time you swap it out, making it a time consuming PITA. Just buy some quality dies and make up some dummy rounds for each cartridge and you will be GTG.

Back