Remington 700 Mountain or Browning X-Bolt Stalker

tecumseh

I've decided to add another 280 Remington to the collection after the first of the year and have narrowed it down to either a Remington 700 Mountain SS or a Browning X-Bolt Stalker SS. There doesn't seem to be much difference between em and wanted to know if there is an advantage to owning one over the other?

The Remington has a 9 1/4 twist and the Browning has a 1-10 twist. does one give an edge over the other as far as twist rate goes? I'm leaning toward the Browning right now.

Aftermarket accessories, available scope base, stocks, etc...all go for the Remington. As does the twist rate. The XBolt trigger is goofy, IMO...I like old school Rem triggers quite well. Easily adjustable and reliable...regardless of what the interwebs say. I'll never own an XMark Pro trigger...the hole in the shoe gives me pause.

The ral reason I go with a 700 is this. If you need a stock, trigger, scope base, etc...whether it's a 1962 Rem 700 or a 2014, the parts are interchangeable for the most part. The only exception I can thing of is the anti-bind groove on most newer Rem bolt heads.

The Remington is also made in the USA while the Browning is made in japan, that alone would make it an easy choice for me.

The only thing that worries me about Remington is I've read and had a couple people tell me that Remington has had a lot of quality control issues and their stuff spends more time at the factory being repaired than being at the range or in the field.

I bought a 700 Mountain Rifle in 7-08 a while back. Haven't shot it much, so can't really comment on that part, except the light weight is nice, though recoil is very noticeable. But, it has the worst trigger I've ever gotten on a Remington 700. I don't care for the new triggers, although I have a couple on other Remington's that adjusted perfect. I'm going to replace this one with a Timney.

Get whatever one you like best... There both great rifles... I have both and like them both... Trigger adjustment is something that needs adjusted or replaced on both.

Originally Posted By: tecumsehThe only thing that worries me about Remington is I've read and had a couple people tell me that Remington has had a lot of quality control issues and their stuff spends more time at the factory being repaired than being at the range or in the field.

Of the literally 100s of Rem products I have been around...a whopping ZERO have spent any time back at the factory.

Originally Posted By: tecumsehThe only thing that worries me about Remington is I've read and had a couple people tell me that Remington has had a lot of quality control issues and their stuff spends more time at the factory being repaired than being at the range or in the field.

There's haters in every crowd. There's always corners to be cut when the bean counters run the operation. Sure they arnt what they were 15 years ago but.... Is anything? I also don't buy the crap about it being in the shop than in the field. Remington send their service work out to "authorized repair centers" ie.. Smaller gun shops. They are usually pretty good about getting issues squared away the first time.

I got no issues with Brownings, they make a decent rig but just know that when you buy one its not going to be fully supported with aftermarket bling like a Remington 700 will be.

Back