Bullet selection for "close" range coyote ?

kyron4

Hello, using my Savage .223 for coyotes this year. Most shots will run from 40ds-100yds. Using a shotgun last year and about half were out of range. What's a good load that won't blow them apart ? Fox will be in the mix also. Here's what I'm thinking, 55gr V-max ( not sure at close range), Win. 55gr PSP, (less explosive but still deadly ) or 55gr. FMJ , low pelt damage but will it anchor them cleanly ? Any input or opinions welcome. -Thanks

IMO, the FMJs are a no-go unless you can shoot 'em in the head every time. Otherwise I think you'll lose a lot of dogs. They may die (probably will) but you won't find them and that's unacceptable to me. JMO, of course.

I think if I was pretty sure most of my shots were going to be relatively close range, I'd go with a lighter bullet. I've had good luck with the 36 and 40 grain Barnes. Frequently no exit holes and pretty deadly. There's lots of good bullets out there and I sure haven't tried them all, but have been surprised at the accuracy with several of the lighter .224 bullets. My 700 tactical loves the 40 grain stuff, and coyotes hate 'em.
smile.gif

Depending on the rifle you have, and it's twist rate, i would suggest trying a few bullets that fall within your twist rate. Get one that gives you the best accuracy.

I like the Vmax bullet. Don't just shoot the Coyote, place the shot to avoid shoulders and ribs and you won't have to worry about pelt damage.

Remember that a Vmax bullet if fired a few inches behind a vitals shot will still hit the vitals. your not meat hunting, like deer, you are predator shooting.

50gr hornady sx works very well. They stay in the head even at 50 yards and stay in the body under 200 yards start them around 3200 with the 1/9 twist. This is a coyote load, 223 is tough on Fox.

Last edited:
40 gr v max anchors them nicely up close but like was mentioned stay away from the shoulder!! The Nosler ballistic tip is another good one.

For what its worth shoot what the rifle shoots the best for your twist. Dont get all caught up in the SP vs. Plastic tip.
The two coyotes i shot this year were with a factory 55vmax and a handloaded 53 vmax. The 55 was at 45-50yds and the 53 was at about 75yds. Neither of the bullets exited. Both coyotes went down hard.

Based on what im seeing in my rifles shooting performance, ill be switching the SP lead bullets soon. The Vmax family doesnt seem to be consistant in my rifle.

Has anyone tried the 223 loads meant for deer like the Fed. 60 gr Nosler partition or Fusion 62 gr soft point ? Do they punch cleaner holes than fragmenting types ?

Originally Posted By: kyron4Has anyone tried the 223 loads meant for deer like the Fed. 60 gr Nosler partition or Fusion 62 gr soft point ? Do they punch cleaner holes than fragmenting types ?

I have used the 70gr TSX. Normally my deer load for 223, but it did very little fur damage. Penciled right through. It will shatter bone though, so shot placement is key........

I used the 53 vmax ahead of imr 8208 last year in .223, lots of coyotes put down instantly in their tracks with no exits at 35 yards. 1x9 twist AR.

Originally Posted By: BigGrizzNosler BT or Sierra 65gr GMK
I am too using the 65 gr gameking 1@8 5 shoot group u can cover with dime my gun loves them.

53g Vmax is lethal out of my r15. Hit a bobcat square in the chest at or just under 40 yds. Made mush out of the thoracic area. Furthest shot on coyote 220 yds behind the shoulder and same result. Big fan of the Hornady Superformance 53g 223. Buy a box and try them.

You are overlooking the obvious. Velocity is what tears stuff up-not necessarily the bullet. Use a frangible bullet and down-load it to 2500 fps or so. I did this years ago when I used to call coyotes in the brush country of Arizona. I loaded a Hornady 70-grain SX down to 2300 fps in my .243 and it whacked coyotes without destroying them. It left quarter-sized exits. DO NOT use fmj bullets, unless you don't mind losing a lot of them. I have seen coyotes hit several times with fmj bullets and run off.

Personally I would go with a slightly reduced load no matter which bullet but the 2 below have worked well for me

Its overlooked a lot because its more of an old school bullet but the Speer 52gr HP flat base has become one of my favorite all around 223 bullets. Its the one with the gigantic hollow point opening. I have had outstanding results in both homemade ballistics testing & in the field on coyotes. Im shooting it out of a 20" AR with 1/9 twist & not only has it been very accurate but has taken coyotes from 15 yards to 140 yards without leaving any big holes. Im pushing this at 2900fps

The 65gr Sierra GK is also a good choice if you load it down to about 2500 fps, it will expand to around 40 cal and punch right on threw.

Originally Posted By: kyron4Has anyone tried the 223 loads meant for deer like the Fed. 60 gr Nosler partition or Fusion 62 gr soft point ? Do they punch cleaner holes than fragmenting types ?

Yes. We shot 2 coyotes with Nosler Partitions while hog hunting. NOT GOOD. They passed right through and both animals ran 20-30 yards before tumbling. The 60gr VMax is a FAR better choice. The Partitions will definitely kill them dead, but I want them to drop. But if you're looking for minimal pelt damage the Partitions might fit the bill.

As was said above several times, I'd look into 40gr VMax bullets "IF" your rifle will shoot them accurately. Both of our hunting rifles are 1/8 twists and for some reason they just don't like the 40s. They shoot the 60s very accurately.

Originally Posted By: ghilliedupPersonally I would go with a slightly reduced load no matter which bullet but the 2 below have worked well for me

Its overlooked a lot because its more of an old school bullet but the Speer 52gr HP flat base has become one of my favorite all around 223 bullets. Its the one with the gigantic hollow point opening. I have had outstanding results in both homemade ballistics testing & in the field on coyotes. Im shooting it out of a 20" AR with 1/9 twist & not only has it been very accurate but has taken coyotes from 15 yards to 140 yards without leaving any big holes. Im pushing this at 2900fps

The 65gr Sierra GK is also a good choice if you load it down to about 2500 fps, it will expand to around 40 cal and punch right on threw.

+1 for the 52gr Speer HP. I use them in a 20" Colt 1/9 at a similar velocity . This is the best bullet that I've seen consistant results from on fox in the 223 (17rem is still the king) and they have also worked very well on coyote. I have not seen any results of this bullet at higher velocities, so that may be a big part of its success.

22 mag in the head,when my sons were young that was all i would carry was my 22 mag rifle i got to shoot quite a few that way i even shot some in the heart lung area but that required two or three shots.which is easy with a 22

55g Winchester with 26.5g of Win 748 kills coyotes real dead at those distances, rarely goes through.

55g Hornady SP with the cannalure, 55g Rem HP, 55g Sierra Sp(any style other than Blitz king and blitz) with the same load.

Years ago, I had some speer 52's blow up on shoulder blades, ribs, and hip joints of heavy coyotes.

Speer may have toughened up the jacket since the late 80's. The 55g Winchester out of a 223 with the load above is a real sleeper load, great on pelts.

Back