Alabama ROLL CALL for coyotes, please check in and say HI !!

Hello Mr.John, I went with a friend to Perry Co. this last Saturday and called one up within 5 minutes on the very first stand. He shot 3 times and threw dust all over him but couldn't connect. It came to a Primos mouth call pup in distress. We made 3 more stands but all we got was a load of ticks. Had a ball [beeep]. I've ragged him unmerciful about his 6mm that he bragged on ever since. I'd love to hook up with you and see what we could get going once the weather cools a little. I'll host if you're interested. Montana Slim, we're pretty close. Think you might want to go too?

Hey guys,

I haven't been on here in awhile but I still see John and Whitey are still chatting it up! LOL. I see several new Alabama guys on here.

I know it has been rough with the heat but I tell you guys if you have some private property to hunt and the landowner is cool you might ask them their opinions on letting you predator hunt at night. If their ok with it all you gotta do is get a permit from the gamewarden and your good to go. That's the best approach this time of year.

The landowner has to get the night permit and puts your name on a list of permissible hunters. The hunter is actually a contractor and the land owner is the host.
All of my private land owners said they would get the permits but none of them ever did...
frown.gif

Lefty,

I know that's technically how it's supposed to go but if your landowner is ok with it then you can contact the gamewarden yourself and inquire about a night permit. It's really not too difficult unless your local gamewarden insists the request come from the landowner. I currently have a night permit and it wasn't too difficult to obtain.

Last edited:
I believe the game wardens in my area are "by the book" types....
Id like to try a night hunt. Thats if i can keep the over imagination, 6 yr old, scared of the creatures in the dark ideas out of my head.....lol

Hi DRT and others,... sorry I havent been as prompt getting back to yall to see what you've been doing,..work has been kicking my big fat behind lately
frown.gif

You better know I'd like to go with you DRT!!!!
thumbup.gif

Where would you be hunting at ( location)? And yes, the crawly little bugs are just plain bad out there right now. How bad did you get attacked by the ticks? I HATE those things!!!!!!!!!!!

Sounds like you had a real good hunt if you were able to call one up that quick and to shotgun distance at that...pretty cool indeed! Was it an early morning hunt before it got blazing hot?

Yep Whitey and I try to keep things active here, although he is certainly getting to go out more than I am at the moment. Whitey is a great hunter and puts the fur on the ground more times than not and I have been outsmarted the last several times Ive been able to go out. But, I still enjoy getting out and try to learn something new on each hunt. Sooner or later I'll connect with a song dog again!!
smile.gif

John, I'm in southern Fayette county. I'll send you a pm if I can figure it out. Man, the ticks were bad! We'd washed down with spray and had a thermocell going and still got covered. Most of the land we hunted was in pasture with the only cover being stands of johnson grass with a little timothy grass thrown in and maybe a stand of privvy bushes. Them ticks must love that johnson grass cause when we'd get up we were covered. Had a ball [beeep].

Lefty,

I know what you mean. I got lucky I guess by knowing the gamewardens in my area pretty well. It's probably too close to deer season to get one now but it might be something you could work on getting once February rolls around.

I know what you mean about the young kid too. My 11-year-old has been out at night with me a couple times. But my 8-year-old decided out of nowhere a few weeks ago that she wanted to go too. So I loaded them both up and decided I was only gonna call and my oldest would be the shooter and my youngest would shine a light and be a spectator. Low and behold we had coyotes coming from every direction it seemed like in two stands. One came within a range I felt comfortable letting her shoot. She missed and was tore up about it for a week. But it was a great moment with my kids and quite an experience for them both. Other than the bugs of course. LOL.

hey guys im moving to north Alabama November 1st from upstate NY. I love predator hunting and would love to meet people down there to hunt with once I can get my license down there.

Has anyone been having any luck in DeKalb or Marshall Counties.
I've been 5-6 times past month without a sighting. Called up hawks
crows and a couple of does but no coyote. Had pretty good luck
this past winter with calling them up but got busted more than
got to shoot.

Last edited:
Hi Guys

I am new to the forum and somewhat new to the state (been here 7 years) I am in the Birmingham area and looking for places to hunt and people to hunt with.

Jim

I am in the Montgomery area and have been calling for 10 yrs now in areas I have gained access to. Mostly central Alabama. Called in and killed a coyote(mangy) last Wed morning @10am. Ready for my next. We need a frost already.............

Back