Factory Winchester Ammo 22-250

jhartwig24

Went out to the range the other night to sight in my Savage Axis 22-250 since we didn't have any wind. I had a fresh box of Factory Winchester Varmint & Predator 45 grain jacketed hollow point ammunition. Opened the box and had shot my first 5 rounds, I went to reload the magazine, and the first cartridge I grabbed caught my eye, so I looked closely at it, and noticed major damage to the brass on the neck. I'm just glad that I noticed it. I don't know what would or could have happened if I were to fire this round? It could have blown up in my face, or even worse! I have already sent an email to Winchester with several pictures of the damaged round. I'm just waiting to hear back from them now!

Have any of you guys experienced a problem like this before?
Any experts or people with experience that can tell me what could or would have happened if I didn't notice this and would have fired the round?

Thanks guys!

Winchester4.jpg

Provided that the brass isn't crimped down into the bullet (can't tell from the pic), and the round chambered without further damage to the neck (doubt if it would have chambered without lots of effort on the bolt handle) it likely would have fired without incident. The neck is up into the chamber far enough that you should have had enough of a seal at the shoulder to have been safe. As long as the bullet wasn't being held in the case excessively it likely would have been OK. But you never know. Winchester is probably going to want that round returned to keep it out of the field. I'd probably refuse and keep it for a conversation piece.

Notice To Self: Check every piece of ammunition before it goes into the gun.

You did GOOD to have inspected it. Most just throw factory ammo in the gun and blaze away.

I have a 223 round that came out of a factory box from horandy and the primer was put in wrong way. never heard back from hornady.

Hard to tell from the photo, but with that burr of brass sticking up at the case mouth like it is, I doubt very seriously you would have ever gotten the bolt closed, kind of like what Hidalgo said. As for pressure and it being a "safe round", I suspect it would have shot low, as the neck tension is already compromised due to the split, and I think that would cause release of the bullet early, probably resulting in lower pressure, maybe partially unburned powder, and a lower POI. But all that is pure conjecture. The case might have also split down into the body because it is already split to the shoulder, but that would depend at least partially on how tight the chamber is, I think. The chamber would stretch with pressure, but if pressure was lower in that round because of what I have already offered as a possibility, maybe nothing at all would have happened but the round going off as planned...

And if Winchester wanted it back, I would send it back. But that is just me. I am so addle-brained that if I kept it for a conversation piece, within six months I would have no idea where I put it; so much for conversation!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: jhartwig24

"It could have blown up in my face, or even worse!

[...]

Have any of you guys experienced a problem like this before?
Any experts or people with experience that can tell me what could or would have happened if I didn't notice this and would have fired the round?

Thanks guys!"

Winchester4.jpg

Nothing would have happened - it would have fired, and the bullet would've most likely stayed in the group. I have fired cartridges where the whole shoulder and neck went out the barrel with the bullet.
Poo-Poo happens.

Flawed ammunition slips past the inspectors, especially these days with factories running 25/8, and still running behind.

This does not surprise me coming from winchester. Many times I have purchased new brass either 50 or 100 lots and have to cull three or four pieces per lot due to case neck defects. Some are minor and iron out with a neck size. Others are pretty bad splits or folds like the image above. That said I still prefer thrier brass. That's a bad one [beeep].

Originally Posted By: K_V_VThis does not surprise me coming from winchester. Many times I have purchased new brass either 50 or 100 lots and have to cull three or four pieces per lot due to case neck defects. Some are minor and iron out with a neck size. Others are pretty bad splits or folds like the image above. That said I still prefer thrier brass. That's a bad one [beeep].

Winchester' inspectors need to get glasses - everyone complains about bad brass from Winchester, but (by actual measure) it IS better brass!

http://www.predatormastersforums.com/for...140#Post2681140

smile.gif

I found a round like that in one of the white box Winchester 22-250. Although the ammo was fairly accurate, velocity wasn't what was advertised in my rifle.

The case neck looks folded in on itself, I wonder if it didn't miss the final sizing step and the neck wasn't created during the bullet seat/crimp action? I agree that I would tend to be more forgiving in this day of heavy factory pressure. Although, it never hurts to alert Win to keep an eye on quality assurance.

Originally Posted By: RonO.The case neck looks folded in on itself, I wonder if it didn't miss the final sizing step and the neck wasn't created during the bullet seat/crimp action? I agree that I would tend to be more forgiving in this day of heavy factory pressure. Although, it never hurts to alert Win to keep an eye on quality assurance.

The fold was formed during the forming of the shoulder and neck.

It happened sometimes.

I bought a box of that same ammo about 2 1/2 years ago at Wally World...
About a third of the rounds were identical to the one in your picture.
I was gonna send an email to Winchester but never got around to it. I still have the cartridges around here somewhere.
This is obviously happening on a regular basis with these "White Box" cartridges. Winchester's quality control must be crap.

I sent some 22-250 ammo back to Winchester maybe 5 years ago. They paid shipping, sent me a coupon for 2 free boxes of ammo. This was Win Supreme with nickel plated brass. 50gr BST bullets.

I used to buy the White Box stuff just to reload it because it USED to be so cheap. Never had a problem with it. I very rarely purchase factory ammo. All handloads here.........

Those are the only factory loads I've ever bought for my 22-250 1 box to be exact. They're the most frangible bullet for varmints I've found yet...turns gophers to dust!!

Originally Posted By: Merritt79I have a 223 round that came out of a factory box from horandy and the primer was put in wrong way. never heard back from hornady.

I think that is typical hornady ammo cs: just ignore the customer.

Finally heard back from Winchester. As some of you said, they want the round sent back to them for "quality control testing" Or in my words, "To sweep it under the rug"
Once I send the bad round back to them, they will send me a check for the amount it costs to buy a new box of ammo. Roughly $20-$30.
I honestly think they should be willing to do more than that! I understand that quality inspection isn't that great and that they see thousands of rounds in a day, and some get missed. But when this happens, I think they should give the consumer a better deal than a simple replacement box.
I won't be purchasing any Winchester ammo in the future! There are several other company's and options of great ammo available! Anyone have any suggestions as to what works great on coyotes in 22-250?

Just out of curiosity what would have been fair compensation in your opinion. I bet there's a lot of ammo makers out there that would have just ignored you had you brought this to their attention.

Originally Posted By: FairChase93

I bet there's a lot of ammo makers out there that would have just ignored you had you brought this to their attention.

I strongly disagree!!

You may be right Catshooter, in fact you probably are right, I'll admit I was shootin from the hip with that one.

Do you think anybody would have offered more than a new box of shells in the same situation. Winchester acknowledged the situation and tried to correct it buy paying for a new box. Seems fair to me.

Originally Posted By: FairChase93You may be right Catshooter, in fact you probably are right, I'll admit I was shootin from the hip with that one.

Do you think anybody would have offered more than a new box of shells in the same situation. Winchester acknowledged the situation and tried to correct it buy paying for a new box. Seems fair to me.

That is a good offer. He gets 39 rounds.

I would keep the round for teaching in my classes... but that's me
wink.gif

Back