Dog question

The_machinist

So I have been wanting to train a hunting dog for a couple years now. Trained a beagle when I was about 16 to run rabbits. I just got him to start tracking pretty good and he died.
So my question is; I want to get into dog hunting. Would like a dog that is good at rabbit and coon. Is this possible and what is a good dog and why.
Thanks for your help!
Chris

I feel sure that you could train a yellow blackmouth cur to do both, but I don't know if you'd be pleased at their mouth when trailing. You could probably train a 15" beagle to do both but I don't think you'd be pleased in both endeavors. Maybe a good black and tan hound could do both o.k..

I'd just get a beagle for rabbits and a well bred coon dog for coons. A good coon dog will pay for himself and a year's feed for both, in a week's time, with fur prices. Last thing I'd want is a dog running rabbits at night, while I'm out trying to stack up the coons.

You can train a dog to run both no problem. The only problem will be when you are wanting to run coon and end up running rabbit or the other way around. Hard to beat a well bred MT. Cur when wanting a all around dog.

Originally Posted By: TonyTebbeI'd just get a beagle for rabbits and a well bred coon dog for coons. A good coon dog will pay for himself and a year's feed for both, in a week's time, with fur prices. Last thing I'd want is a dog running rabbits at night, while I'm out trying to stack up the coons.
Yeah I didn't think about that lol
Thanks for the insight

Back