1-4x for 300 Yard Shots

300 yards... Are you comfortable hitting something the size of a dinner plate (or smaller) at 300 yards off of a bipod or resting on anything other then a bench?

A 223./5.56 needs proper bullet placement. If you were hitting the body square with a 308. that isn't as bad.

Also, to just hunt something at range is one thing... but you don't really need a super sniper scope if you are calling because it will be running towards you. (ideally)

Originally Posted By: Cowin8579

A 223./5.56 needs proper bullet placement.

Everything needs proper bullet placement. I've seen them run for hundreds of yards dragging 10 feet of entrails after being gut shot by a 7mag. A bad shot, is a bad shot.

Chupa

I once hunted S Tex with 3 others calling half a day and all night taking 11 coyotes and 6 bobcats and one guy ran out of ammo so he switched to a 7mm mag and yes you guessed he wounded the next also last coyote that was shot and we never did find it just blood and small pieces of meat. Chupa's comment reminded me.

So my comment won't be totally off subject I regularly shoot a 1-4 Meopta on my 3Gun competition AR 223 and I have no problem hitting 12 inch steel plates at 300-500 yards if the wind isn't blowing too hard.

Last edited:
That's a rough visual, you are very right. I notice many of the hunting videos out right now have guys landing small bullets too far back towards the gut. That's what I was thinking of.

It's a tough business buying a scope that isn't too bulky or heavy, with enough magnification, that isn't a wobbly and small field of view.

I would setup a target roughly the size of a dinner plate and see how consistently you can shoot it in the center without using a solid bench. However, I bet you don't have a 1-4 and you are thinking about it. Those can be great scopes. I was running a Leupold 3-9 AR mod 1.. and decided to get an M4 and run a 2-7 power Redfield. Depends on your hunting.

I run a 1-6 on an SKS bullpup. I don't like shooting for groups with it, but with first focal plane and a mildot reticle I think I could probably use it for the 300m or so the 7.62x39 is good for if shooting at bigger targets, with practice of course.

All but one of my coyote hunting rifles and all of my big game rifles wear 1x4 or 1.5x6 scopes. I keep thinking I need one coyote hunting rifle set up for long range so the 22-250 wears a 2.5x10, I've had it 10 yrs and have never taken it from the truck. FOV is far more important to me than X's. 300 yrd shots with a 1x4 a piece of cake, 10 yrd moving shots with a 6x are a lot tuffer.

1950's Rifle, 1960's scope 4x is 4x

Same rifle with a 3x scope at 100 yrds just to show the top group wasn't just a fluke.

Last edited:
I use a 1.25-4 VXR with the pig plex on a 6.8 out to 300yds. As pointed out, shot placement is paramount.

Practice 20% further than you plan on shooting so the 300yds and under shots are a piece of cake!

If you can make a 75 yard shot with zero magnification , you can make a 300 yard shot at 4x; sans wind, bullet drop, etc.

Last edited:
The kids 16in ar has a 1-4x on it and the last time out shooting we had 3 milk jugs set at 300yds and it was no problem with him smashing them. But it was a known distance and was able to hit them leaning against a haybale. But if you can call them in closer that would be better.

Similar comments to above....

I made a 450 yard shot on a bonus target in a 3 gun match with my 1-4 Nightforce (second shot). Another guy on same target with same scope did the same thing. The 250-300 yard shots aren't that tough for a 1-4x if you know the range.

As far as the up close targets go (10-50), as I have said many times, a red dot on a Warne RAMP is fast, accurate, instinctive, and effective. Then you can have whatever magnification you want on your primary optic.

Sendit

My coyote gun is a .223 with 1.5-5 vx3 which is really 4.5x. At that range a coyote size object looks pretty small. It not about counting the hairs on the dog. Just put the x in the vital area and shoot right now before it runs off. Takes some getting used to after having higher x. 99 percent of the time the dog is inside 100. Last couple I taken were inside 35 yards. When they are moving at that range the 1x is far more important than the very rare long shot.

I also use it for jack rabbits. I take headhots inside about 75-100. Past that I go for chest shots. Beyond 200 just aim for center mass.

My next gun I will probably go with a 25-06 or .243 with a 2-7. Only going with 2-7 to extend the range on jacks. It will be on 2x if I take it calling.

FOV is sooooooo much better then power!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: NMCoyoteHunter01Ok I was wondering if a 1-4x scope would be able to shoot a coyote out to 300 yards or whether I need a scope with more power.

Only you can answer this question. Everybody is different. Some shoot 1000yds with a 10X scope, some feel they need 10X to hit a coyote at 200 yds........

Clear image resolution is the most important. A high power scope with crappy optics won't help anything.

The M-16 is trained to 300 meters with iron sites...it can be done.

I prefer lower end magnification for calling, faster aquisition and yes, 300 yd shots no prob. Its 90% time on trigger. throw it on , sight it in and go = high miss percentage. Russian snipers were dinging enemy officers 400+ with low power optics.My friend routinely shoots vintage sniper competitions and consistantly hits at 1000yds with 3x. Ive shot 300+ with a red dot, 500+ with an ACOG and leupold CQ. While there are clearly pros to low and high magnification, IMO a lower end variable has the most pros when callin dogs.... With todays BDC reticles and clear glass. Its really hard to go wrong regardless the scope if you practice enough.

Exclusionary rule: I like a good 3x9 for night calling.

Last edited:
Back