NightForce SHV

NJUSA

Anybody have a NightForce SHV? I'm thinking about topping one on my Remington 700 tactical in .223. I like target turrets, but can't wrap my head around what nightforce advertises. Are those true target turrets that can be left exposed and dialed in for changing distances? Or are they just finger adjustable under "hunting" caps?

Someone please fill me in. I'm leaning between this and the Leupold Mk4 4.5-14x50.

nightforce-shv-4-14x56-riflescope-review-006.jpg

not my pic snatched off LRH.

I don't own one but have fondled one before. They are basically both its a "target" style finger adjustable turret that is intended to be capped when not being utilized.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: kyyotestalker

Unfortunately when one snatches pictures off the Internet they are left with nothing but a picture off the Internet an zero first hand experience or knowledge that there's a cover over those turrets on the SHV.....

You can look at the base of the turret on your own pic and see that there's threads there for a turret cap.... Well nuts just look at this pic it might help..

By the way... This wasn't snatched off the Internet, I took it my self, first hand knowledge and experience.

4c3d5807d4f0ad35cc03377a8c2f98a1_zps6fa4491c.jpg

FurHunter, Why must you try and pick fights on this forum?

I never once claimed that those where not covered turrets! The OP asked for clarification of what NF advertised as such I figured that anyone could put two and two together and tell from the pic I posted and from the pic on the NF SHV advertisement's that there is a capped over resettable turret on the SHV. furthermore you have no idea weather or not I have any first hand knowledge of the SHV and should not make assumptions of my knowledge for you are surely mistaken.

You posted a picture with zero, nada, zilch for an explanation. You didn't claim anything besides, "Not my pic snatched off LRH"

Here it is again....
Originally Posted By: kyyotestalker

You could have shared a pic of yours with an explanation instead of one ripped off a website with zero information to go with it.

Anyone can post a picture. You didn't claim they were or were not covered (convenient now that CYA time is here) but yet you post a pic, that's not yours, with the turrets exposed. I'm lead to believe as well as many others that you posted a pic of the turrets exposed because you really didn't know or maybe you wanted to be contrary to the posters who've already said they were covered? Maybe you believed they were exposed turrets because you seen the pic on LRH.. This is the Internet. If its seen it must be true right? This is what leads people to come back and reply like I did.

If you had first hand experience with them maybe you should have said it to start with. It would have brought credibility to your post. Instead..... Now I'm the one being a meanie and starting a fight because of your lack of substance.

I did not come here to start an argument with some one on the internet which I have never met, yet you singled out my post for your attack. With my limited given information you still managed to jump to conclusions and make assumptions about my first hand knowledge, which where far from correct.

since I for shamed this forum by posting a simple picture that I assumed the OP could make his own conclusions and decisions from since the question had already been answered but with out any detail, I will try my original post again, Hopefully without aggravating the great and all knowing Furhunter!

Now lets stop this childish bickering and move on like adults.

OP my apologies for derailing your thread and I hope this does not deter you from asking questions and posting here.

As to your question the Nightforce SHV line of rifle scopes have finger adjustable and zero resettable turrets housed under a aluminum cap. the turret caps can be easily unscrewed and the turrets quickly and precisely adjusted to your desired adjustments like a regular target turret. as can be seen from my below pic of the turrets with caps removed.

Thanks for the help guys, even if we did pull out all the stops there. For you guys that own the scope, what are your thoughts on it, worth the money or should I go with the more expensive mk4 or viper pst?

Unfortunately I have not been able to find a lot of info/reviews on the shv....

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: NJUSAThanks for the help guys, even if we did pull out all the stops there. For you guys that own the scope, what are your thoughts on it, worth the money or should I go with the more expensive mk4 or viper pst?

Unfortunately I have not been able to find a lot of info/reviews on the shv....

There's no way the PST can run with the SHV in optics quality, not even close. Well maybe if you rub the lens of the SHV down with Vaseline it might be close.

The turrets don't have the same feel as the NXS scopes so don't expect it. The clicks have a sharper feel to them and are fairly audible so that's ok.

I don't like the big 56mm objective but that's just me. Sure would have been nice with a 44 on it so it could be mounted lower. Other than that its a pretty good scope.

What are you going to use the scope for? And what's your budget?

Originally Posted By: FurhunterThere's no way the PST can run with the SHV in optics quality, not even close. Well maybe if you rub the lens of the SHV down with Vaseline it might be close.

The turrets don't have the same feel as the NXS scopes so don't expect it. The clicks have a sharper feel to them and are fairly audible so that's ok.

I don't like the big 56mm objective but that's just me. Sure would have been nice with a 44 on it so it could be mounted lower. Other than that its a pretty good scope.

I would amplify FH's remarks. While I've never been impressed with NF glass on the NXS (it's good but not great at that pricepoint), but I have been impressed with the glass on the SHV. Lightly better than my NXS's & very noticably better than my best VX3 especially in low light conditions.

After owning two Viper PST models - I doubt I will ever own another. Nice features but the glass just won't cut it!

THe turrets on the one SHV that I have (& the only one I've played with) is positive & not squishy at all. It is not very audible though.

Here is a pic of the scope when I first got it, showing under the turrets with caps in pic (sent to a friend with same question as OP). The ones with illumination has a HUGE "knob" for the SF.

All in all it's a nice scope but it's [beeep] big for a hunting optic. Still not sure I'm keeping this one or not...

I too would agree the glass in the SHV is a touch better than the NXS scopes I've had. Its really pretty nice.

I've still got a brand new in box non illuminated model here if anyone is interested in it.

First off, thanks for all the positive replies. I'm going to put this on a rem 700 tactical In 223. Will be used mostly for target shooting, and groundhogs ranging out to a max of 4-500yds.

Originally Posted By: NJUSAFirst off, thanks for all the positive replies. I'm going to put this on a rem 700 tactical In 223. Will be used mostly for target shooting, and groundhogs ranging out to a max of 4-500yds.

Have you considered a Weaver Tactical in first focal plane? They've got real good glass, pretty nice locking turrets and a lit reticle. The price is right too, several hundred less than the SHV.

Originally Posted By: FurhunterOriginally Posted By: NJUSAFirst off, thanks for all the positive replies. I'm going to put this on a rem 700 tactical In 223. Will be used mostly for target shooting, and groundhogs ranging out to a max of 4-500yds.

Have you considered a Weaver Tactical in first focal plane? They've got real good glass, pretty nice locking turrets and a lit reticle. The price is right too, several hundred less than the SHV.

I personally DON'T like FFP scopes for target. Works good on steel (larger targets) but on max power the reticle gets really thick & can cover up a relitivley small target. Weaver does have pretty good glass for the price. For what you described I'd look for a Sightron Siii. They have good glass for the $$, very repeatable turrets & considerable less than the SHV depending on model. I've had several over the years & still do own my share.

I'll be running the SHV 4-14 MOAR reticle this winter for dogs. I recently picked one up at Sportsman's Warehouse and mounted it on top of my new Ruger American 243W for some longer range dogs. The glass is exceptionally clear, the turrets have clean noticeable clicks with good repeatability and I do like the covered capped turrets to prevent accidental changing while crashing through the rocks and brush. You can either leave them capped or remove the caps to your liking as the turrets are water proof in either condition. The 56mm front lens is a bit large but should provide ample light gathering abilities for my night time endeavors.

Like coleridge, I prefer the SFP scopes for smaller targets, FFP optic reticles "can" cover (depending on reticle design) too much of the target at longer distances especially on a critter that is on the move like coyotes, however, they work very well on tactical courses where one is ranging targets with a reticle. I range all my targets with a range finder so no real need for FFP scopes on my hunting rigs, although my next purchase will likely be a FFP scope. Even so, the MOAR reticle has 1/4moa clicks along with 1moa stadia lines which makes good use for long range targets when using the hold-over method, or simply dial up your drop on the turret, in either method it works well. I do wish it had a bit more windage hold marks as the wind around here can be a bit much at times for guessing.

I can tell you from my experience, the SHV is much clearer than my Leupold Mk 4, VX-III's and my Zeiss Conquest at much longer distances. The MOAR reticle is outstanding for long range predator hunting as it is fine enough to use on dogs or chucks out to 1000 yards and more. My SHV is the illuminated version so it should perform very well during night time hunts where most of my dogs at taken between 100 - 200 yards.

It is a bit expensive for a predator scope but I have always believed in three times the cost on glass to my rifles, you do get what you pay for. As a side note for the Ruger American Rifle, I had been reading some pretty impressive articles on the new Ruger American so I decided I wanted to try one out. Within the first 15 rounds of my initial hand loads I was seeing 1/2 inch groups at 150 yards and just under 1-1/2" groups at 300 yards with a brand new out of the box rifle. I figured as soon as I can get time to work on load development this fall I should be able to close that down even a little more. Great little rifle for 350 bucks and I hear Boyd's is currently working on a wood stock for them too.

Good luck with your choice in scopes!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: NJUSAAnybody have a NightForce SHV? I'm thinking about topping one on my Remington 700 tactical in .223. I like target turrets, but can't wrap my head around what nightforce advertises. Are those true target turrets that can be left exposed and dialed in for changing distances? Or are they just finger adjustable under "hunting" caps?

Someone please fill me in. I'm leaning between this and the Leupold Mk4 4.5-14x50.

I realize this is an old thread, but did you end up with an SHV model? If so, any long term thoughts?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Back