Scope for 16" AR-15

NMCoyoteHunter01

Hey everybody. First post here. Okay I recently built a 16" AR 15 calling rifle for coyote hunting and I've been looking for a short (right up in your face) to medium range (300 yards max) scope and I can't decide whether to get a 1-4x or a 2-7x scope. I really like how on 1x you can shoot with both eyes open plus the amount of FOV but I am wondering if 4x is to low for a coyote at 300 yards. I used to use a 3-9x and found out that 3x is a wee bit to much for a coyote 20 yards away but it works. So is 9x(my fault I got lucky but my first coyote didn't). Anyways I was also wondering if I should get a illuminated reticle or not because I am mostly going to be hunting near the evening. Well that's about it so hope to hear your feedback.

PS Scope Requirments
Under $300
Lightweight-ish 16oz or less(attemping to make the gun light as possible)
Also thought about a 3-9 or 4-12 with red dot on the side.(might be to heavy though)
Will be hunting coyotes in wide open spaces to gray fox in a canyon.(Don't have a shotgun yet)

Last edited:
A lot of guys like the Burris Tac30 or MTAC 1-4x24. They are on the top end of your weight requirement though. You could save a few more pennies and get the Leupold Mark Ar Mod1 1.5-4 with the firedot reticle.

Last edited:
The Mark ARMod1 weighs in around 9.5oz and the other two at the 17oz mark. I was just in your position and decided on the Leupold VX-R Patrol 1.25-4x20 Firedot SPR. At 4x you will be good for those longer shots. The nice thing about the firedot, is that it is a .3mil dot. So at 100 yards you are covering about 1.1" of target.

Also give the vortex viper 1-4 a look. They have very good glass, great customer service and hands down one of the best warranties on the market so you know your in good hands.

I just put a leupold vx-hog on a 16" ar in a pepr mount. Looks good and I like the reticle(minus the hog hunter in it). Within your budget as well.

I'm in the process of trying to build a LIGHTWEIGHT hunting rifle. (I'm getting too old to carry around bull barrels anymore) I went with a Nikon 3X P223. I haven't tested it nor sighted it in yet, but I expect it to have the same quality that the rest of my Nikons have. Cabelas has them on sale currently.

Leupold mark 6 1-6, vortex razor 1-6, swarovski z6i 1-6, trijicon VCOG 1-6, Kahles k16i 1-6. See the trend here. The vortex is the best bang for the buck.

For $300, I would mount a 1.5" PVC pipe with piano wire crosshair and put $298 in your pocket.

EDIT: They say Americans will spend way more on the weapon than the optic, whereas Europeans will do the opposite. This post is case in point.

Last edited:
I would say something like the Leupold VX-hog or a 2-7x Redfield Revolution if you want a little more magnification.

My go to calling rifle for coyotes is a 16" barreled AR with a Mark AR 1-4 mounted on top. I usually keep it set on 4x too.

Originally Posted By: thebestofindicaLeupold mark 6 1-6, vortex razor 1-6, swarovski z6i 1-6, trijicon VCOG 1-6, Kahles k16i 1-6. See the trend here. The vortex is the best bang for the buck.

For $300, I would mount a 1.5" PVC pipe with piano wire crosshair and put $298 in your pocket.

EDIT: They say Americans will spend way more on the weapon than the optic, whereas Europeans will do the opposite. This post is case in point.

Just curious, but do you own all these scopes; or at least a couple of them? I've had plenty of sub $300 optics that were perfectly satisfactory given their roles.
The reason Europeans spend so much on optics is because when you spend so much and jump through so many hoops to own a firearm, you'd probably spend a lot on optics too. I guarantee their scope market is minuscule compared to here, so a lot less options.

Originally Posted By: thebestofindicaEDIT: They say Americans will spend way more on the weapon than the optic, whereas Europeans will do the opposite. This post is case in point.

nobody ever said europeans were to smart.

Originally Posted By: coyotekillerNEOriginally Posted By: thebestofindicaLeupold mark 6 1-6, vortex razor 1-6, swarovski z6i 1-6, trijicon VCOG 1-6, Kahles k16i 1-6. See the trend here. The vortex is the best bang for the buck.

Just curious, but do you own all these scopes; or at least a couple of them? I've had plenty of sub $300 optics that were perfectly satisfactory given their roles.
The reason Europeans spend so much on optics is because when you spend so much and jump through so many hoops to own a firearm, you'd probably spend a lot on optics too. I guarantee their scope market is minuscule compared to here, so a lot less options.

I currently own the Vortex and just ordered the VCOG. I have used all but the Kahles, but if reports are valid at all, it's a winner.

The OP says "...because I am mostly going to be hunting near the evening." Is a $300 scope "good enough"? For some it may be.

I love when people say "it's good enough for a calling rifle." Are you saying that since you are calling coyotes, you don't require the same clarity/brightness/toughness/durability/reliability? It's an honest question.

All of my gear is an investment. I don't buy cheap gear and my stuff lasts. If I want to pull a scope from a .223 and drop on the .308, fine. I keep track of my scope dope and all I do is dial the turret for the .308 load and I'm good to go. Same thing to go back to the .223 Try this with a cheap scope. You commented that they are satisfactory for given role. Why buy something that only fits one role?

To the OP, I would look on the forums such as snipershide, etc... for a used optic of higher quality. Good luck. I'm looking forward to coyote hunting this winter myself.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: thebestofindicaLeupold mark 6 1-6, vortex razor 1-6, swarovski z6i 1-6, trijicon VCOG 1-6, Kahles k16i 1-6. See the trend here. The vortex is the best bang for the buck.

I would also throw in the SWFA 1-6x. Probably the best buy for the money in the upper price range.

Originally Posted By: thebestofindicaOriginally Posted By: coyotekillerNEOriginally Posted By: thebestofindicaLeupold mark 6 1-6, vortex razor 1-6, swarovski z6i 1-6, trijicon VCOG 1-6, Kahles k16i 1-6. See the trend here. The vortex is the best bang for the buck.

I currently own the Vortex and just ordered the VCOG. I have used all but the Kahles, but if reports are valid at all, it's a winner.

The OP says "...because I am mostly going to be hunting near the evening." Is a $300 scope "good enough"? For some it may be.

I love when people say "it's good enough for a calling rifle." Are you saying that since you are calling coyotes, you don't require the same clarity/brightness/toughness/durability/reliability? It's an honest question.

All of my gear is an investment. I don't buy cheap gear and my stuff lasts. If I want to pull a scope from a .223 and drop on the .308, fine. I keep track of my scope dope and all I do is dial the turret for the .308 load and I'm good to go. Same thing to go back to the .223 Try this with a cheap scope. You commented that they are satisfactory for given role. Why buy something that only fits one role?

To the OP, I would look on the forums such as snipershide, etc... for a used optic of higher quality. Good luck. I'm looking forward to coyote hunting this winter myself.

You sir have deeper pockets than most.
I think the best deal going right now is the Burris XTR 1-4 with Fastfire II and mount for $600 on SWFA. If the OP is like me, he'd probably rather be hunting than saving up for a $2k optic; not to say your choices aren't good.

I have yet to use a 1-X scope but at SHOT I liked the eye relief on the vortex the best. I use a trijicon accupoint 3-9 on a LaRue mount or a TNVC PVS12 4x Aquila on my 16" 6.8.

You mention that the 3-9 you were using prior was a wee too much for a coyote at 20 yards. Have you practiced 2 eyes open with 3x? It'll widen your FOV tremendously and superimpose the reticle over your full eye sight. It isn't too difficult to learn but does require practice. Only works for closer range.

The other option is possibly a 2-10 optic?

Last edited:
Back