25-06 loads for thumping on coyotes

Originally Posted By: SqueezeOriginally Posted By: JellyCannon One projectile I havent heard much about is the 85gr CT Ballistic Silvertip.

The CT 85 gr. and the Nosler 85 gr. are the same bullet. The
CT has a proprietary coating, the Nosler does not. Both shoot
well in my Tikka M-695 25-06 Rem. These bullets will do
some impressive damage. They cut rabbits and feral cats in
half, with proper bullet placement.
grin.gif
Coyotes
usually drop like a sack a dirt, or drag themselves a bit,
minus body chunks, on marginal hits. This bullet is not
for the squeamish!

Squeeze Cheers for the info!

Of the many 25/06's that I have owned, they will have a preference between the 85g Nosler or the 87g Speer Sp, book max load of R#19, Win primer in win cases, bullets usually like to jump 0.040 or so@3500 fps.

I shot a lot of coyotes with the 90g Sierra BTHP, max load of IMR 4350 shot tiny groups @ 3300 fps. Today, I would shoot the two above bullets and then also try the 90g Blitz king.

No doubt that the R#19 gets much more velocity over the IMR 4350, but the IMR 4350 will put the bullets into much smaller groups.

In my experience, the coating on the 85g C/T drops pressure, so add more powder, get more velocity...if your gun likes that combo...you don't know till you know.

Last edited:
I use the 75 gr hornady v-max and HP as well as speer 100gr HP. They all have a POI close enough that no matter which I use, it requires no scope adjustment to be close enough on target. And those 100gr HP's have a hole big enough to park a bus in.

thanks for the feedback

I will see what the rifle likes from the list of bullets you all helped generate.

will have to see what I can find availability wise

Last edited:

First I will say that I haven't shot any coyotes with my 25-06, but it's ready just in case I decide to use it. Seems I always use something else, but the trusty 25-06 will do the job well if ever called into action.

Since you aren't concerned about saving hides, it basically boils down to whatever shoots well in your particular rifle. Everyone has given lots of suggestions as to what works well for them and I will give you my favorite receipt too.

This load is one I use to take everything I hunt with the 25-06 - so far at least. It's accurate (maybe not bench rest accuracy) enough for the job at hand, and it's consistent in my Browning Composite Stalker with a relatively thin barrel. I love the consistency of this particular bullet / load and I have confidence in it. Confidence makes all the difference when hunting.

The Speer 100 gr. BTSP bullet is a good performer. I have taken whitetail deer, mule deer, antelope, groundhogs, crows, turkeys and a Corsican Ram with the same load.

This is typical accuracy I get with my Browning 25-06. It's plenty good enough for coyotes at ranges I will most likely be shooting them.

Just find a bullet that shoots well in your rifle, and go coyote hunting. Good luck.

Back