Which muzzle device for hunting???

NMCoyoteHunter01

I have been thinking about either a Kies Linear Compensator or a Levang Linear Compensator. Need your guys input or suggestions on a different muzzle device. Thanks!

i dont have any experience with either of those comps,but i do have a dpms/miculek muzzle brake on my dpms oracle and i really like it. for approximately half the price of other brakes and comps its every bit as effective. a guy i used to work with had the spikes dynacomp and doing a side by side comparison we had a hard time telling any difference between the 2

I have a kies liner comp on my 6.8 and I feel like it lowered the noise level to the shooter to about a 12 guage. Which I feel like is pretty good from a 16" barrel.

I purchased the Levang that DPMS offers for my lightweight build ... but I haven't fired it yet.
cry.gif
The reviews say it's a much quieter option than a conventional flash hider. I sincerely hope that is the case. In a hunting situation the guy beside you can feel the blast if you're using a customary flash hider. Been there, done that. Maybe someone will speak up and give us the lowdown on it.

EDIT: One other tip: If you purchase the Levang, it is perfectly round and supposedly requires a strap wrench to tighten it properly. However, I stuck a small Phillips screwdriver into 2 of the opposing holes and then used another one to place sideways between them and tightened it up plenty enough. You don't need a strap wrench as some might say. Just use your old crush washer, too.

Last edited:
I have a Kies and a Levang. They are similar in that they push the noise forward imo. There seems to be less of a sharp report to the shooter in my experience.

they work, the only protection i wear when hunting is a mask. fleece when it's cold and spandex when it's warm. now i will admit that they only let me miss them two or three times, but my ears dont notice it. i will not own a hunting AR without a linear comp. jmo

I have a linear comp from Troy Industries. There really isn't enough muzzle flip or recoil to worry about. I just like the linear comp so I don't blow out my partner's ears.

I have a Kaw Valley Precision linear comp from Joebob's as well on my SBR. Works well, it's cheap, and looks nice with the flutes.

Levang makes a world of difference. No sharp crack coming back at ya. I did like Hidalgo did on the install,works perfectly.

Have any of you guys running these linear comps that direct the gases forward compared them to just a bare muzzle? No flash suppressor just a thread protector, or a non threaded muzzle?

It seems to me it would be the same, wouldn't it?

For customers wanting a muzzle device for hunting we sell a ton of linear comps:

Kaw Valley Linear Comp

The Kaw Valley comp is made well and has wrench flats. The levang does not, which is about the only design "flaw".

They direct some of the noise downrange, although don't help at all with flash. If you're hunting in the daylight then they're nice to have.

Originally Posted By: mtnkid85Have any of you guys running these linear comps that direct the gases forward compared them to just a bare muzzle? No flash suppressor just a thread protector, or a non threaded muzzle?

It seems to me it would be the same, wouldn't it?

Linear comps typically will more flash than an A2 flash but you can hear a noticeable difference in noise to the ear of the shooter, esp on 16" carbines. They definitely direct the gasses (and some noise) forward. They don't reduce felt recoil but they do make the recoil more linear so the muzzle rise is less. You wouldn't want one for a 50BMG for that reason, but they work really well on 223-308 rifles.

Last edited:
I run suppressors so I dont blow yours or my own ears out. All other devices are noise enhancers.

I have many suppressors but my favorite suppressors are made by Thunderbeast.

I use a Titanium 30P-1 on everything except my SBR Yote rig and I use a full auto rated one on it.

Its the same can I use for all my 1000+ yard shoots that I do. Built for the precision shooter by precision shooters.

http://thunderbeastarms.com/products/

Originally Posted By: 3DHUSKERI run suppressors so I dont blow yours or my own ears out. All other devices are noise enhancers.

I have many suppressors but my favorite suppressors are made by Thunderbeast.

I use a Titanium 30P-1 on everything except my SBR Yote rig and I use a full auto rated one on it.

Its the same can I use for all my 1000+ yard shoots that I do. Built for the precision shooter by precision shooters.

http://thunderbeastarms.com/products/

^^^this, except my favorite is the Hurricane Ti by SRT. Super quiet. Super accurate. Very light weight. Doug Melton is the owner/operator and absolutely super to deal with.

I don't yet have one from TBAC, but that will likely change. I've met the guys at TBAC at SHOT a few times and they are as described: precision shooters building precision silencers. Ray Sanchez of TBAC used a prototype of the 30BA model when winning the 2011 Steel Safari long range shooting competition. Sanchez scored 115 out of 120 first round hits in that competition and actually removed the 30BA from his rifle between stages to test and demonstrate the point of impact accuracy.

To the OP - I know your original post was more about muzzle devices and not a question about silencers, but suppressors are the way to go. Save your beer money, sell a gun, whatever, but get one. You will NOT regret it.

Sendit

pick your supressor add 200 bucks for the one time taxstamp and you have your number. you have to decide on what you want before we can talk about price. Caliber, material made of, rimfire or centerfire are just a few things you need to decide on.

I agree with 3dhusker. The answer is "it depends".

The great thing about these days is there are many high quality silencers out there. Another great thing is there is a growing "lower" end and middle/value market as well with the ballooning popularity of silencers.

Sendit

Back