help me choose a 300wsm

je4bowhuntin

I am wanting a 300 wsm. I own mostly savages and wanted try something new but having a hard time deciding. I am torn between the browning xbolt 3d birdseye composite stainless in 300wsm and the savage 16 bear hunter in 300wsm.how are the browning xbolts accuracy wise?

i picked up a cz model 3 a few years back. not bedded, trigger fair, fit and finish is ok. but shot better than model kimber 8400 by far. it would shoot every test load into one group smaller than the kimber would do with one load.

they only made them one year. made my montana rifle company, but not finished to the same level as their own branded guns.

I have two Savage Model 16s, and have nothing bad to say about
them. I did have a Savage Model 11, 300 WSM, and it was nicely
accurate. I bought a Winchester Model 70 Weather Extreme, in
300 WSM, the Savage 300 WSM was gathering dust, so I sold it
to my nephew. He loves it, and I love my Winchester Model 70.
The Savage was easy to find accurate loads for. This M70
is showing promise. I also had a Howa 1500 in 300 WSM, and
it to shot well, but the kick against that rifle, the safety
did not lock the bolt, so rough duty could see the bolt open.
I think that has been fixed with a new 3 position safety, but
that would be something I would check before buying a Howa.

I don't have any firsthand experience with Browning bolt
actions, but they have a big following around here. This
decision probably boils down to which one feels better in your
hands, and if the name on the rifle is important to you.
Browning gives one more pride of ownership, although the
Savage rifles have made name for them selves as exceptionally
accurate out of the box. Not the prettiest in some eyes, but
hard to argue about the teeny groups they shoot.

Squeeze

I truly love my savages and the way they shoot. The browning has one helluva fit and finish. It feels grrat in hand and holds one more round amd weighs less. On thw other hamd if i go with browning im torn between the light sporter barrel and the heavy sporter fluted which is 26" instead of 23"

I have a 270 and 2 243s in savage and was wanting to buy a pretty gun in a big caliber. But i also want it to shoot like a savage!! Lmao

300 wsm is not a big caliber.

338 win mag i would call the beginning of the "bigger" calibers.

if you want pretty that will shoot, buy a Cooper. Get a 375 H&H!

I have an A-Bolt in 300WSM. There's not a thing wrong with it. I did some load testing, shot one black bear and it's been in reserve ever since. I usually use a smaller round for deer hunting, my last bear hunt I used my 284 Winchester.

The only thing I did was put in a 'medium' weight Timney trigger spring in my 300WSM A-Bolt.

The 23" barrel is plenty for me. I have no desire to have a BOSS on a Browning rifle.

je4bowhuntin,
I have a couple Browning hunting rifles (one is a X-bolt Predator)and both will consistently hit my accuracy goal of a 1/2" at a 100 yards. Did not seem to be picky either as they both shot the type of bullets I wanted without messing around. A few seem to bash the Brownings but I kind of do my own thing and chose to give them a go due to the nice handling, feel and weight. My only complaint is the magazines in both my rifles restrict the length of handloads with longer bullets, but that seems to be common when people who don't shoot design rifles.
mad.gif

Back