Really liken the 308 on hogs

the impactzone

this is a hog my niece took the other night with my 308 shooting 155gr BTHP @ about 3025FPS range was 125 yards or so, hog was DRT with a neck shot. Last night my Brother and sister in-law took 2 hogs at 100-150 yards both DRT one hit in the tip of the shoulder and one was slicing the pie from back to front, entrance at first rib.

I have seen 12 hogs taken with this rifle all DRT, I was shooting the 125gr Nosler BT @3100FPS and it almost gave me a shoulder to shoulder shoot through at 350 yards, switching to the 155gr SMK in hopes of getting my 500 yard hog at night and want just a little more ump at that range. really liking this gun on hogs as much as I like my 243 on coyotes, it just works every time so far

Last edited:
Great looking rifle there! You should try the hornady SST's they will give better terminal performance than the SMK. The match kings are more for light skinned animals.

might have to look in to them, the Nosler 125gr held 75% of its weight, haven't recovered any of the SMK's yet, but being a match bullet they tend to have a little heaver jacket, have had very good luck with them in 223 77gr on shoulder shots and never had a gun that didn't like a SMK

What night Scope do you have on the 308 impactzone?
Do you like it pretty good?
I've been thinking of adding a second rifle and scope for Night Long Range. Maybe up to 300yds.
I'm shooting the Speer 180gr GrandSlam Bulk Bullets in my MP10.
So far the bullets are doing OK.
But with my Thor 320-2x Thermal, most of my shots are close, like 40-75 yards.

Last edited:
crowkiller51, that's an Aquila 6x from TNVC I have looked through a lot of NV and the Aquila is hard to beat! have taken hogs out to 450 with it and don't see a problem for taking one at 500, out to 300 with a 1/4 moon its a chip shot on that 308

check with Vic I think they still have a sale on them, really its a great big pice of glass and brings in a lot of light and has tracked very well and holds a zero!

the nice thing about shooting at night the wind normally dies down and the mirage does to, it will happen the hard part is ranging at night, going to have to do a bait pile at known distance

How long is the barrel on the .308. I am shooting 155gr Berger and the Sierra Palma's but from my 20 inch barrel and run 2925fps.

24" my 125 gr hand loads show no presser signs, I have herd from several folks but not tried it yet myself that they get an additional 30fps with their suppressors on, going to crono with and without next time

Just mounted my Aquila 4x on my LMT .308 and just need to sight it in to get my first hog at night. I was going to use the 300 Blackout but after reading a bit on this forum a 308 seems to be the best option.

only dropped 1 out of 3 that was drt with a 300blkout, no use shooting suppressed & sub ammo if they squeal and run off sending the rest in all directions

I just killed a 400 pound boar hog with a 7.62mm Barnes 130 grain TSX last weekend.

While butching him out, a peeled back jacketed .308 bullet fell out of a hole in the side of his femur! Looks like someone had shot him in the ham a year or more back???

I have the same experience as Phil with the 300k subs. Even with supers shot placement has to be perfect for DRT hogs. The .308 is much more forgiving with shot placement......

Back