Annual Groundhog & Woodchuck tally for 2014 (no Prairie Dogs)

Kinda late to the party this year. Just got my first hunt in yesterday evening. Put a new rifle together this spring and took forever working up a load I was happy with. Using a savage 12 in 22-250 with berger 64 grain bullets over varget in a buddys hay field in western PA.

First one was 75 maybe 100 yards (didnt range it) decent size female. Cut her neck almost in half. the pic doesnt do it justice.

The second was a really little male at 165 yards ranged. Every time I was about to squeeze off he dropped and I lost him. Didnt realise he was that small but thats probably why I kept loosing him. Finally stood up long enough facing away. Pretty much turned him inside out.

Gotta say so far Im impressed with these bergers!

Only two yesterday but Im sure theres alot more there. Theres holes everywhere. A red hawk kept circling the field and screaching every half hour or so. Pretty sure he was keeping most of them in their holes.

[img:left]http://
20140621_115229_zps376bb0d7.jpg
[/img] [img:left]http://
20140709_164820_zps87c0bcfd.jpg
20140715_190501_zpsf458685d.jpg
20140715_192944_zps4a8159ae.jpg
20140715_203249_zps3ab887ff.jpg
20140715_204950_zpsbdf4be13.jpg
20140715_190422_zps6894c3d5.jpg
[/img]

So it's been slow for me this year working more
thumbdown.gif
but I built up my Armalite. I free floated it added a 20moa Nikon mount and zero it at 200yard. Before I did all that I shattered my kill shot record, I was stuck around 200yards, I took one at 310yards. I hit the GH and he fell back into the hole. There was blood going down the hole. Most of these shots was around 100yds with two of them past 220yards the one on the stump was 220 and that is were he got shot..on the stump lol.

Nice shooting fur-down. I've been busy busting the hogs lately... got 10 in the last 2 days so I figured I would post a few pics.

[img:center][/img]

All shot with the Savage 204. Distance was anywhere from 100yds.- 440 yds. Been hunting some new fields and so far they have been producing some good shots. More to come next week.

Dave

Well good going ,Dave! If you keep practicing like this perhaps you too will get to shoot a few prairie dogs next year in Wyoming. Now don't get me wrong Dave, I did not mind shooting while you were spotting for me or eating a sandwich or sitting in the cab of my truck playing a hand held video game. I did think that it was a bit shallow of you to complain that my shooting was interfering with you being able to take a nap but daggone it! At least I put the suppressor on what guns that I could!

Next year I'm going to bring you a cot and battery powered fan so that you can snooze what I shoot all the dogs. And don't you worry- no matter how many thousands that I get I will once again let you take credit for half of them. Sometimes being a nice guy works against me but as long as you name your next son after me then all will be well with me.
thumbup1.gif

Thought I would add a new post here as there haven't been any in weeks....

I nailed Groundhog #48 for the season last evening with my 45 year old Remington 581 (22RF) shooting a CCI Stinger HP . Those Stingers do damage out of all proportion to their 22RF case size. Distance was around 50 yards.

Hope all are having a good season. The weather here in NW Ohio has been strange this summer with few really hot days and more rain than normal.

I sold a 581 the other day them are nice shooting 22s same go for the 580 and 582. It must have gotten slow there not much GH getting shot lately.

Originally Posted By: fur-down
It must have gotten slow there not much GH getting shot lately.

I have seen ONE this year, and it was standing on the side of an interstate highway.

cursing.gif

Originally Posted By: CatShooterOriginally Posted By: fur-down

I have seen ONE this year, and it was standing on the side of an interstate highway.

cursing.gif

Maybe its time to move
thumbup1.gif

Originally Posted By: fur-downOriginally Posted By: CatShooterOriginally Posted By: fur-down

cursing.gif

Maybe its time to move
thumbup1.gif

Oh, God, don't I know it...

frown.gif

I started a Woodchuck page on FaceBook, and those creeps down in Virginia are rackin' an' stackin' 'em.

I may get a wildlife import permit and bring some back to Konnecticut!

Originally Posted By: CatShooterOriginally Posted By: fur-downOriginally Posted By: CatShooterOriginally Posted By: fur-down

cursing.gif

Maybe its time to move
thumbup1.gif

Oh, God, don't I know it...

frown.gif

I started a Woodchuck page on FaceBook, and those creeps down in Virginia are rackin' an
stackin' 'em.

I may get a wild life import permit and bring some back to Konnecticut!

Id like to do that around my house so I dont have to drive an hour to hunt them

Went out this afternoon for a little poodle poppin. As soon as I entered the farm, saw one make it's way to a fence line in a field I was planning on hunting. Weather was awesome.

Got situated under a shade tree and glassed for a bit but saw nothing so I decided to try another field.As soon as I started glassing the new field,I spotted one rested on a log in a brush pile.Guesstimated the range to be about 130yds. and planted him.As I was walking to get him,I noticed another one by a different brush pile. Tried to get back to the gun but he pegged me and disappeared.
Sat back down in my chair and within 10 min. spotted another one feeding by a fence line. This one was about 260 yds. so I decided to hold a little low.Touched the trigger off and saw dirt fly just underneath him.Dang a miss!!

Got back in the chair and within a few minutes spotted one coming out from some weeds by a small stream.This one was about 200 yds. Sent the 39gr. BK and heard the smack. DRT.

No more action so I decided to go back to where I sat earlier and spotted one half out of it's hole looking at me. This one was about 180 yds.Got set up and and watched him fold from the impact.

Got 4 more in the field I was hunting first. 120yds.,340yds.,380yds.,and 425yds.

Also got one at about 50yds and missed one at 644yds.

Got a total of 8 hogs today. Still plenty more left on the farm.

Dave

Last edited:
Went out yesterday since the season is winding down.Figured I would take the 22BR this time.

Hogs were out pretty much all day. Kills were anywhere from 50yds. to 338yds.Missed one at 468yds.Still learning the drop on the cartridge.

Enjoy!!

Originally Posted By: 1up5downWent out yesterday since the season is winding down.Figured I would take the 22BR this time.

Hogs were out pretty much all day. Kills were anywhere from 50yds. to 338yds.Missed one at 468yds.Still learning the drop on the cartridge.

Enjoy!!

I enjoyed your pics... Wish I had these critters in my area...

Took these back in July when momma brought off a litter under "Turkey Camp". Magnum Research .22 mag and Hornadys. Only 50 yards - but both DRT.

14486759039_0ded3d4ca0_z.jpg

image-19.jpg

Shot at 10 yards with the Savage 223...he was in the wrong place at the wrong time.

image-2.jpg

122 yds with the Savage 223.

image-3.jpg

117 yds with the Marlin 22-250. Had to photograph it on its back because the 40 gr vmax did not play nice...not pretty

image.jpg

And here is the momma pig taken with the Marlin 22-250.

There was a 5 one taken but do not have photos of it.

Shelton

Back