Anyone in Iowa using a Gen 3 w/o IR with success?

IAyoteHNTR

We can't use any light, even IR, here in Iowa to hunt at night and I wonder how well the Gen 3 night vision scopes will work on most occasions w/o IR light with any kind of moonlight present.

Max range you can get on a typical clear 1/4 moon night?

Anyone from here in Iowa trying the Gen 3 at night w/o IR with any success?

I'm chomping at the bit to try night hunting on a regular basis but I wonder how handicapped I would be considering current Iowa hunting laws. The pricing of the Gen 3 is getting to where I might consider the investment but I don't want to jump into it unless I can get a feel for how well a Gen 3 system would work w/o using IR light.

So if anyone in Eastern/SE Iowa is using a Gen 3 at night I'd love to see a demonstration in person if at all possible.

Thanks.

Trevor

Last edited:
I'm looking real hard at the TNVC M845 Gen3 Red Dot Scope as pricing is getting down to the point I could possibly justify a purchase and would LOVE to see one of these units up close and personal and am curious to know if there is any way possible to get a hands on demonstration of one of these units anywhere within 100 miles of Iowa City?

With most Gen 3 units you don't really need the IR after moon is 1/4 to 1/2 stage or better. If hunting in snow or in light colored fields, no moon is necessary to effectively hunt without IR. Kevin

Man, I wish I saw this earlier. I'm in se Iowa with quite abitnof nv stuff you could check out and see yourself. I might be back soon. I'm.leaving in the morning. If you don't buy I'll check with you next time I'm in.

i use a gen 2+ last winter and had real good luck huning the open feilds in northwest iowa. called in 37 coyotes and shot over half of them. some snow is better but i can see them fine in bean stubble all the time, corn stubble will work if it has been rolled or mowed down a little so the stubble is shorter than the coyote. shot a few out of alfalfa feilds also no problem seeing as long as you have a little moon. if you have heavy clouds or no moon at all i pretty much just call bean stubble with 1/4 moon or snow i can see them in any cover that is shorter than they are. hope this helps.

Back