Help with field judging racks

Longnkrnch

Where I hunt we have, for the last 20 years had a 4 point (on one side) rule for whitetail. This year it's changed to 12" inside and 15" main beam length. Can anyone give me some tips on quickly judging a rack this way. Our hunting grounds are heavily wooded with lots of thickets and most of the time you get a very short window of time to analyze a rack.

Also try to catch if the rack has a curve,alot of younger ones tend to go almost straight up. We made up our own rule which is 3pts on 1 side or if it's got a good curve to it that would be 12" or better. There has been plenty of times while we were doing drives they almost fly by, without being 100% sure I've just let them go. It even happens when they just walk by at 100yds,sometimes it's just to hard to tell.

Thanks for the ideas. Been looking at some of my old racks and studying the differences. I think I can judge ok given the right angle and a few seconds as long as I allow for ground shrinkage.

Originally Posted By: LongnkrnchWhere I hunt we have, for the last 20 years had a 4 point (on one side) rule for whitetail. This year it's changed to 12" inside and 15" main beam length. Can anyone give me some tips on quickly judging a rack this way. Our hunting grounds are heavily wooded with lots of thickets and most of the time you get a very short window of time to analyze a rack.

Wow, what a stupid rule. I hate how they always change stuff like that. Happens pretty much everywhere. Gets dumber and dumber too.

Some places I often hunt are the same way. Very thick, often little time to analyze. Gawk to long, opportunity has passed.

I don't envy your situation. Kinda a ridiculous rule IMO.

Next we will have scope reticles with built in tape measures..........

That is a horrible rule. Means more money for guides who can field judge but limits participation in the sport to wealthier people or people who already hunt. That is the best way to kill hunting in america I can think of.

That obviously came from some biologist who sits in an office and only sees deer on the tailgate of a truck. They better catch them all and eartag them with colored tags so you know which one to shoot, sounds like entrapment to me.

Last edited:
Man, the 4 points on one side is hard enough to see, especially when they're in the woods. I can't imagine having to guess what it measures. The small spikes that curve right up behind the ears are pretty tricky, too

Back