Killing-tactics in WI?

buckshooter2

Hello everyone, I am making a trip to Northern Wisconsin for the first full week in August and plain to do some Coyote hunting. I will be staying with some friends who have been seen coyotes on there farm. I have never actually killed a coyote but have come close on about 10 occasions here in the rolling hills of eastern Ohio where territory is thick full of woods. I have mastered using primos hand calls and also plan to bring Primos PowerDogg electronic caller with me along with my Mojo critter decoy. I have good understanding of the basics but have some questions for hunting yotes in Northern Wisconsin.

The most important question for hunting in Northern Wisconsin is how long should I make stand for and how often should I call? For example, should I call for 30 seconds with 3 minute break between each sound for a total 20 to 30 minutes.
Also, is it best to set up on a field edge or in woods?

Thirdly, has anyone ever hunted from a tree stands while calling coyotes? Lastly, does anyone know how to boost the volume on a Primos Powerdogg caller? I remember reading in the last few years of a person who improved the volume by wiring in a amp/speaker and it was posted on Predator Masters forum telling how they did it. Or is there anyone else who has done this before? Any replies would be greatly appreciated

I'm from WI originally and one of my family members is a coyote hunter in NW WI. Coyotes are coyotes and tactics are the same, you just have to adjust for terrain and cover.

The need for high volume is over rated for coyote calling in my opinion. Other than to push sound into some cover in windy conditions I rarely take a big caller out and rely on and M-1 Bandit or Scorpion for most of my calling.

I find it easier to call a coyote in if they don't have to leave the cover than to call one out into the open.

This time of the year fishing is a lot more fun than sitting in the woods fighting Horse Flies, Mosquitos and Wood ticks. Hunting Muskies and large Northern Pike can be a rush.

Northern WI is a hotbed of Lyme's disease. a couple of my family have had it, prepare for it.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: AWSsitting in the woods fighting Horse Flies, Mosquitos and Wood ticks.

I 2nd that avoiding the critters is going to be key to having fun this time of year. Ticks aren't a big issues, but dress accordingly. Tuck your pants into your boots and your shirt into your waist to avoid the ticks from crawling up your legs or torso (ticks almost exclusively crawl upwards). Shower well and check after hunting; deer ticks are tiny and Lyme's disease is surprisingly common in MN and WI.

Something I've found is after hunting leave your hunting stuff separate from the rest of your cloths and then check the high point before putting it on next time. If there's left over ticks on your gear they almost are always sitting on the very top looking for something to latch onto.

The most important thing is to bring a lose mesh net that covers your face and neck and that you can see through to shoot so the mosquitoes and gnats don't drive you crazy. Use baggier clothing rather than tight fitting so the deer flies won't bite through it.

Maybe you'll have good strong winds or arrive right after a dragonfly hatch so you won't have to deal with all the insects, but I wouldn't plan on it.

You will struggle to sit still in the woods for 20-30 minutes this year. The horse flies and mosquitos are epic due to the very wet spring/summer. There's a reason why very few of us up there hunt coyotes in the summer.

Tree stands are not really going to work because in the summer you have too many leaves to content with. You' won't be able to see anywhere.

Agree with others, having more speaker power is unnecessary in the north woods.

IMO, the best tactic in the north woods is to use local knowledge of where they coyotes are and then VERY quietly get right in next to them. Don't overcall and DON'T overpower them with high volume. Start softly and then go silent.

BTW, the best rifle for coyotes in the north woods is a 12 gauge shotgun.

Grouse

I agree with what everyone has said about the bugs. Prepare for ticks and possible Lymes. There are also other tick-borne diseases out there. In 2008 I had Erlichiosis and I have never been sicker in my life. I still have not come out of it completely. If you start feeling lousy get to the doctor and get tested for Lymes but if it comes back negative demand to be tested for the other tick-borne diseases.

Also, if you're in northern Wisconsin there is a good chance you may have wolves responding to your calling. Make very sure of your target to avoid costly legal issues.

With all that said, Wisconsin is a great state. Enjoy your trip! You ought to consider doing some fishing while here as well! And then there's all that great cheese.....

Moosetrot

Author William Least-Heat Moon in his book "Blue Highways" said that in all his travels that the mosquitoes in Gordon WI were the only ones he'd seen that could pierce stone.

Back