Single point sling?

I have been thinking about getting a single point sling for my AR. Sometimes on my walk into a stand I'll see a coyote and I would like to be ready for a quick shot. With my traditional over the shoulder sling I'm not fast enough to get the rifle shouldered before the opportunity is gone. I was thinking a single point sling would help me to get my rifle into position faster. Im sure lots of you guys have experience with these and was hoping for some input before I make a purchase. Most of my stands are pretty close to the truck so I won't be walking far.

I used to have a single point on mine. The thing I didn't like about it is it caused the AR to ride to low when I carried it. It was uncomfortable and always seemed to be in the way when is was walking. So what I ended up doing is attaching the sling to the top of my calapsable stock so I could still front carry the rifle at the same time keeping the rifle higher up. This way I can still get off a quick shot but I am not hitting the rifle with my legs when walking in.

I put a single point sling on my light weight PSA upper. I got a cheap $15 bungy single point from Amazon. It works fine and did what I wanted. The heavier the rifle, the less you will like a single point sling.

Mine is not the button attachment, but otherwise about the same. I think the cuff shown here would be worth while.

Last edited:
I plan on using it with a lighter AR. I wasn't sure if I would be better off with a bungee type or just a nylon strap type. Im about 6'3" and with a shorter barreled rifle I dont think it would hang too low. There seems to be quite a few different brands to chose from. Any specific brands that work well for you guys? I would like one that is tan or green.

The new Magpul 2 to 1 point slings with the slide extender are really nice and give you the option of 2 point carry for long walks and single point for quick shots. I love mine and have them on all my ARs and my AK.

Originally Posted By: roky0702The new Magpul 2 to 1 point slings with the slide extender are really nice and give you the option of 2 point carry for long walks and single point for quick shots. I love mine and have them on all my ARs and my AK. +1

I've always used a 3 point sling. They allow the rifle to be carried in a variety of positions; walking, climbing, or on the 4 wheeler.

I use single points at work, and while I'm hunting. If you're weapon is hitting you in the legs, it's not adjusted right. Or it's too long for you. Your barrel should be just below your crotch and you should be carrying it in your hands as well as having it supported by the sling. The bungie styles are my favorite. Adjust it so you're pulling slightly against the bungie when the weapon is shouldered and it'll help steady the rifle.

I recently put a Savy Sniper on all my rigs. My 18" barreled 204 hangs a bit low, but it still doesn't bang against my legs.

I've been trying to get used to the 2 point carry that all the cool kids are going to lately, but I just can't make myself like it as much as a single point. I guess too many years lugging a carbine length or SBR around with a single point and it's burned into me!

Single is great if you're on post.

If you move much and don't have ahold of the rifle, it just turns the gun into a nut smashing pendulum, IMO.

On a hunting M4gery style rifle, I prefer 2 point.

Originally Posted By: ChewSingle is great if you're on post.

If you move much and don't have ahold of the rifle, it just turns the gun into a nut smashing pendulum, IMO.

On a hunting M4gery style rifle, I prefer 2 point.

I will concede that point...if you can't hold it and you have to run...you will de-nert yourself. Climbing over stuff is a pain also.

I did pick up a two point from Savy Sniper that so far seems to work pretty good. Maybe I'll eventually get used to the two point sling.

Back