Need opinions on cheaper ARs

FairChase93

I'm the president of the local Sportsmans Club and we are getting ready for our end of summer / fall rifle raffle. We have never given away an AR and would like to this year. Due to a costly trap range build this summer our funds are low. We have a sweet deal with an ffl and can get almost anything at cost. We will only be able to spend about 550-800 bucks on this purchase so which one should we go with? Dpms, Diamondback, Mossberg, Ati, ? I know at this price point it won't be top quality but it's what we got to work with.

I have a couple of DPMS entry level ARs that have served me well. I am a hunter first and a target shooter/plinker second. They are accurate and reliable in my hands and for my purposes. I have killed several deer and coyotes and wouldn't feel handicapped to use one as a homeland defense rifle. I don't do 3 gun, carbine classes, nor weekend warrior type things-ymmv.

I'm leaning towards the dpms oracle simply because we can get such a good deal on them. A fellow club member has some experience with one and says that they are good guns with absolutely terrible triggers. Most of the people who get in on out contest wouldn't know what a good trigger was anyways. But I will look into all suggestions.

Originally Posted By: FairChase93I'm leaning towards the dpms oracle simply because we can get such a good deal on them. A fellow club member has some experience with one and says that they are good guns with absolutely terrible triggers. Most of the people who get in on out contest wouldn't know what a good trigger was anyways. But I will look into all suggestions.

Anything with "DPMS" on it is good stuff. You are correct on the trigger. But for less than $100 anyone that can read and follow instructions can replace the trigger with a Rock River 2-stage and fix the situation.

Before you buy something from the local FFL, you might do some searching to see what kind of deals you may get from some of the bigger online dealers..
There are some that have great deals, some that i never thought I would see, on some ARs that might be a better deal than your local FFL can get because they over bought and have to clear the inventory.
I would think that most of what you are going to find is a good deal, and a nice prize as long as it's mil spec.
If i was doing the buying i would also get a 5.56 vs 223 (personal preference if both are the same price)

Thanks for all the input and keep it coming. I've looked over most of the major dealers and our guy can beat almost anything with the exception of Rem. 870s, Ruger 10/22s, and Rem. 700 ADL and SPS. The Oracles are especially good buys. The ATI is also very reasonable but it comes with a carbon lower and that just don't sound like a good deal to me. Anybody have opinions on the non alloy lowers.

Take a look at the Palmetto State Armory guns, I have ordered a bunch of stuff from them and it has all been well worth the money. I put my most recent ar together with their parts for less than $500 by watching the sale adds.

Bob

Bushmaster Varminter is on sale at Sportsmans Warehouse for $799 after rebates and they throw in 100 rounds of ammo in rebate as well....Normal price is about a grand. I bought one and I'm shooting half inch and less groups at 100 yards after a few rounds for break in. Its a free float bull barrel (Fluted) Awesome rifle! Stuck a Vortex Viper 6.5X20X44 scope on it....Was $450 and got it on sale at Sportsmans Warehouse for $299.

I have a DPMS Sporticle and for the money they are a descent gun, no problems here.Originally Posted By: FairChase93I'm leaning towards the dpms oracle simply because we can get such a good deal on them. A fellow club member has some experience with one and says that they are good guns with absolutely terrible triggers. Most of the people who get in on out contest wouldn't know what a good trigger was anyways. But I will look into all suggestions.

Originally Posted By: MGYSGTThe sportical is ok but doesn't have a forward assist. The Stag does and still comes in at a good price.

True, but outside theater, 99% of forward assists are never used. Good to have, but not a necessity. Wouldn't be a deal breaker for most. I'd be far more concerned about the lack of a dust cover.

i cant believe no one has mentioned spikes tactical yet. they are on par with the higher end names like colt,bcm,daniels defense etc for the price range of cheaper ar's like what has already been mentioned

The DPMS I had was just fine. I sold it to finance higher end purchases last year, but could've kept it and upgraded. It had the forward assist, dust cover, flat top receiver etc. Sub $700 I would think.

Back