Seeking the most quiet waterproof insulated camo

LARUEminati

Looking into getting some new camo for the upcoming winter and I figured i'd reach out for some suggestions. I'd be willing to spend up to $500 for a full set (bibs/jacket, or corveralls).

Any input would be appreciated but i'm preferably looking for bibs that are both extremely quiet and waterproof. I've looked at the Cableas Wooltimate coveralls which claim to be quiet but they are not waterproof and are really only 20% wool. Anyone have these?

I've never owned real wool camo however i've heard alot of good things, I know it's not waterprooof however it claims to be the most quiet material. I haven't seen any "all wool" coveralls.

Most of the Gore-Tex products I've seen almost have a "plastic" coating on the outside that makes a ton of noise once it gets cold. Anyone have this experience?

I would say the quiet factor is the most important property to me however it being waterproof is also up near the top of the list. I had a lot of trouble last year when the snow was wet and the bottom of my bibs would soak up water and eventually freeze into ice chunks. If i'm going to spend some money i'd like to avoid that if possible.

I have not looked at, or for it, for a lot of years now, so no idea if they even make it anymore. But Cabelas used to sell a line of camo made out of what they called Saddle Cloth. Including waterproof versions. It has a kind of a suede like texture and is quiet enough for bowhunting. I still have some of it and still use a water proof jacket in the old Prairie Ghost pattern.

I'm sure there are plenty of other options available these days though, and that stuff might not even be around anymore for all I know.

I'm wearing mostly Sitka for outer camo these days and can say that the two jackets I have are not very quiet. It's one of the things I don't like about them.

- DAA

I love the wooltimate clothing cabelas makes. Very warm, comfortable, and quiet. It is not waterproof like you said but I always use some sort of seat so its not really necessary.

Originally Posted By: reb8600Rivers West. I am not sure what they have for snow camo. It is extremely quite and water proof.

I'm liking what Rivers West has to offer & I think the water resistant fleece may be a good alternative to the wool & at a much better cost. I may end up going with them.

I checked out King of the Mountain and Beagle Wool of which both we're suggestions to me from a fellow hunter, the King of the Hill stuff was real nice but pricey. I liked the Beagle Wear better because it was lined with a water resistant material but I just found out they went out of business this month.

You should look into Firstlite they make amazing camo. I have a couple of items from them I love it there can be a little sticker shock but worth every penny.

I have used several with mixed results. Naked North is very quiet and some of it is waterproof. Not sure to what degree but it is comfortable.
My favorite has been and is Rivers West, some styles are pretty warm. Some models dont breath as well if your very active hunter.
I always wear silk long johns under smartwool long johns, and smartwool socks.
Havent tried Rustoleum Never Wet yet.

I like the 13 pocket coverall w/ removable hood by Prestige, got it at Shyda's online 3 yrs ago now for under $100.
Warm...warm, Waterproof, quiet, zippered under the armpits for ventilation, zippered on legs to slip over boots, thumbed elastic sleeve to keep wrists warm, lots of pockets to carry stuff in.

I have some cold weather clothing by Red Head maybe. I think it's called, and don't hold me to it, but maybe Endura Suede or something like that. I've had it for several years. It's extremely quite in the woods and very warm. It may be waterproof to an extent, but it's not gonna save you in a downpour, constant rain or anything like that. It may be good for a mist or drizzle, but I wouldn't venture out in anything heavier than that. Only fault I have to it is the zippers are not very good on the pockets. If you use them enough, they are going to malfunction.

I picked up some rivers west "midweight" camo this weekend @ sierra trading post for 70% off. Got the jacket and pants for $85.00. Just wanted to let you guys know before it's all sold out.

I'm still on the hunt for new camo, much more research than I had imagined. Anyone have any other suggestions or favorite camo?? Please share! I'm finding too alot of the older stuff recommended has been discontinued.

I went to several stores in my area to feel all the different materials and they're really isn't much that is waterproof, breathable and quiet (the trifecta). I really like the feel of most of the polyester stuff, seems to be the most quiet (but also the least waterproof). I also need it for the colder temps (-10 to 35F) and I don't see much late season polyester stuff, most of it's for bow season. I'm a very mobile hunter aswell so I can't have anything that's like a sweat suit but it's gotta be fully waterproof for sitting on wet days.

I bought the rivers west stuff on discount just to see if I liked it but I ended up receiving the older Original Waterproof Fleece material and not the newer Advanced Waterproof Fleece. I was not very impressed, the OWF stuff has a "crunch/ruffle" to it from the liner inside it. Not very quiet however it is a really nice product and extremely warm.

Still debating on picking up the Rivers West ambush bibs in the newer advance waterproof fleece, anyone have these? They claim to be much quieter than the older material as well as stretchable and 100% waterproof. Breathability is my only real concern with these but there are no reviews out there on these bibs, none of my local stores carry them either.

I also was not impressed with ANY of the gore-tex stuff, all of it sounded like two trash bags rubbing together. Sitka advertises real breathable material but they're prices are up there, i've also read that they aernt very quiet. Everything I felt with a windproof lining was too loud, made the same "ruffleing" sound as the OWF rivers west stuff.

Back