Leupold scout scope on a Marlin 45-70 lever rifle

willy1947

Leupold scout scope on a Marlin 45-70 lever rifle:

How do you like your Leupold scout scope on your Marlin 45-70?

I did a search but I did not find info on the recoil of the 45-70 on the Leupold scope. Thanks.

I wanted a scout scope on my lever action "just because" and do like it, but I agree with what Chuck Hawks says about scout setups. I'm not sure if I can post a link to it or not, but I'll summarize. He said because of the long eye relief, it reduces the field of view, which can slow target acquisition. Also, with the low magnification it doesn't allow for true both eyes open since your brain has trouble processing your peripherals under stress. Unless you have a top eject Winchester Model 94, he recommends a low power scope mounted in rings on the receiver. I haven't had a problem with it hunting in a stand in thick woods taking a standing or walking shot. I'll send you the link in a PM...unless I can post it here for everyone to read?

Last edited:

Thanks for all the info:

I am going to send the scout scope back. I am going to a Leupold 1x4x20 and/or ghost ring sights.

I have a Marlin 444, Leupold 1-4x20. I can see the muzzle on 1x

Truly sweet setup for close quarter/heavy cover hunting.

Is there an advantage to running a scout setup for anything other than a red dot? Even with a red dot the advantage seems to favor being closer to your eye. Thanks for the info.

Seth,

Back