Need some help?

blackswamp

I was out shooting my first AR build & I had some problems. My rounds were not feeding into the chamber after I fired off a round. I would have to pull back the charging handle to feed the next round. I tried different magazines & bullets. Also the bolt wouldn't stay open on the last round. The AR shot great just this issue.
What did I do wrong?

Thanks!
Jeff

First guess - Buffer spring.

I fixed a similar problem with my AR10 by changing the buffer spring.

Undergassed. Is your gas block properly aligned? Changing to a lighter buffer spring will fix the symptom, not the problem.

Last edited:
Its nothing you did, the cycling of a semi auto is a delicate dance that not too many understand. Is it fully ejecting the spent case? By not staying open did the bolt return home or stay partly open and jam after picking up the next round. Sounds like its short stroking. Make sure the gas block is properly aligned over the gas port is the first thing i would check.

I think it's ejecting the shell but not feeding the next one. The bolt is fully closed after the last round.

The upper is a S/D.

How do I check if the Gas block is align properly

The gas block is pretty hard to screw up, but it does happen. Just make sure the hole in the barrel lines up with the hole inside the gas block. The gas tube is also a player, so make sure all is lined up and the gas tube is clean and open. Blow through it and the gas block to make sure air flows easily. In my AR10 build, I installed an AR15 buffer spring and it ejected but jammed loading the next round. Put correct spring in it and my new favorite rifle was born. Good luck with your new friend.

Factory ammo:
Winchester 5.56 not one would cycle
Federal 223 a couple of them had cycled but basically I had to keep pulling the charging handle back to get them into the chamber.

I did check my gas block and it may have been out of align some. So I adjusted it & will shoot it Sunday at the range.

gas block out of alignment, gas port in barrel to small, gas rings on bolt are worn, incorrect spring and or buffer...these are what hits me right off the top when I read your symptoms.

could always check the gas rings pull the bolt out so it is all way the extended in the bolt carrier group stand it on the table bolt down. if the rings are still good it will hold the BCG up. but it sounds like a gas block issue to me.

Last edited:
Back