.308 vs 6.8 ??

coyotecoach

Need some advice from people who have handled/shot both. I am trying to decide between an DPMS GII A4 or a Stag 6.8
Rifle will be used for coyote and deer hunting.

I have been debating this for awhile. I had just about made up my mind to buy a 6.8 until DPMS came out w/ the GII series. I have a Stag 3 and love the platform--size, weight, handling, etc. I always wish I could use my AR all year. The DPMS is supposed to be as light and easy to handle as a regular AR.

Only thing that scares me on the 6.8 is the potential for the ammo to get more scarce than it is now. I don't currently reload and don't forsee getting into reloading in the near future.

I am curious on opinions anyone has on the GII series or the advantages or disadvantages 6.8 vs .308 in AR

Thanks in advance

Originally Posted By: coyotecoachNeed some advice from people who have handled/shot both. I am trying to decide between an DPMS GII A4 or a Stag 6.8
Rifle will be used for coyote and deer hunting.

I have been debating this for awhile. I had just about made up my mind to buy a 6.8 until DPMS came out w/ the GII series. I have a Stag 3 and love the platform--size, weight, handling, etc. I always wish I could use my AR all year. The DPMS is supposed to be as light and easy to handle as a regular AR.

Only thing that scares me on the 6.8 is the potential for the ammo to get more scarce than it is now. I don't currently reload and don't forsee getting into reloading in the near future.

I am curious on opinions anyone has on the GII series or the advantages or disadvantages 6.8 vs .308 in AR

Thanks in advance

The 6.8 is a lighter firearm, has less recoil and is effective to 350 easy enough with reality of proper expanding bullets out to 450 yards. If you are worried about bullets being readily available, they are more available and getting lower in price now than anytime previous to this. You can walk into cabelas, bass pro, or turners and buy loaded 6.8 ammo by Hornady or federal. There are tons of online vendors that carry the ammo as well.

The 308 will be a heavier rifle albeit slightly less heavier now with the Gen II by DPMS. The 308 already has more recoil and will now have even a little more due to a lighter rifle but of course it will have more effective range. The 308 is not a heavy hitting recoiling gun but more recoil does mean slower follow up shots for the double or to adjust on a miss.

I would base my decision off of what your normal range you shoot at is, that would be my deciding factor. Secondly weight would play a roll if I was humping way back into the back woods to hunt yotes.

Also I know you mentioned the Stag Uppers, they are a great 6.8 upper and are tack drivers but the barrel length isnt necessary in the 6.8, you gain roughly 50fps per 2" of barrel over the 16" barrel. I have 16" and 18" Ironworks 6.8 Uppers in stock. All I ask is that if you go the route of the 6.8 take a moment to look at my uppers, we do afterall specialize in the 6.8 and we are one of the companies on the 68forums that helped Stag get their 6.8 uppers running reliable, so we do know our business. Either way you go I think you will be happy. I hope the info above helped in your decision making process.

Last edited:
If I were hunting Okie deer I would go 6.8. More than adequate for anything I ever saw there in state.

The full upper would be a good choice. If you have a hankering for a true pick your specifications then I would talk to Ritch about an upper of your dreams at a virtual off the shelf price. Nothing wrong with match grade quality and performance in a hunting rifle. No need to ask me how I would know that.

Greg

Just keep in mind our specialty is the 6.8. We build 2 calibers only for a reason. To pour our heart and soul into the 6.8 and be one of the best. There is a reason every one of my uppers come with a sub MOA guarantee. Because that is the minimum allowable standard to us. We use AR15Performance barrels at the heart of our builds, just do a little Google-foo about which 6.8 barrel and you will see why we are so confident in them.

We also build every upper to order and if you don't see what you want on our selection we will quote you on what you do.

I'm sure you'll be happy with whichever way you go.

Last edited:

yotecoach,

I have a DPMS LR-308, which has been upgraded, which trimmed
almost a pound off the LR-308 Oracle, and two 6.8s. One
6.8 is a RRA upper, pinned to a Armalite NM lower, and the
other is a custom, built with an ARP barrel and chamber, on
a custom lower. So I meet your criteria of shooting, or
owning both.
grin.gif

From your description of the intended uses, I would recommend
the 6.8. The 308 is heavier, and for predators, and even deer,
more gun than you need. The 6.8, with a good bullet, will
put deer down with authority, and a 90 gr. HP will clobber
coyotes...It will not be fur friendly.

Squeeze

I have both calibers and perfer the 6.8 when hunting and scouting due to weight and have no problem taking hogs, Axis, and White Tail out to 300 yards.

I recently started reloading, but know that Walmart and Academy started carrying ammo for the 6.8. As mentioned, you can also find ammo online (bought mine online for 2yrs), low recoil (faster follow up), lightweight, optimal performance at 16", etc

Here is my 6.8 set up:

http://www.predatormastersforums.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2500728

Either will serve you.

PS: The GII weights 7.25lbs unloaded and no optic. My 6.8 weights 5.75lbs no optic and could drop 8-10oz with a different stock, lightweight bolt carrier and with a fiber handgaurd.

Last edited:
I don't have a 308 but sure do love my 6.8s!
I would love to know how TXCOONDOG got his to weight in at 5.5 lbs. I think my upper weights that.

Using a Wilson Lightweight Hunter Barrel, Lo Pro gas block, my BCG was shaved, removed recoil pad on CTR stock, and using a plumcrazy lower.

I'm at 5 lbs 11 ozs with my lightweight 5.56 build,trying to get it light as I can so I can add a 4 lb nightvison scope to it.

Originally Posted By: jamesdThanks.
What is involved in shaving a BCG? Those Wilson barrels are sweet!

My brother did it, but you can buy a lightweight carrier that 3 gunners use.

Check out the thread I sent you and it explains what parts can be used to get under 5lbs.

For myself the choice was easy... 6.8 is a hammer on everthing on jacks to whitetail. Mine sports a poly lower from NFA and is easily my favorite hunting AR.

I'm in the process of ordering the 6.8SPC complete upper from RRA as we speak. I went back and forth on caliber, but am going the 6.8 route. If I'm unhappy with it, I'll try something else.

You won't go wrong with your 6.8 SPC.

I had an AP4 308 Win 16" carbine from DPMS that would group Sub MOA and installed a nice Geissele trigger. It was awkward and bulky in handling characteristics of balance- like a cinder block on a two point sling. It wasn't worth it for me on stalk hunting at all even though it was an accurate rifle and I am a big guy.

I got rid of it and went with 6.8 SPC years ago and never looked back. All the comfort and balance of carrying an M4 / AR15 Carbine. 80% power of a 270 Win / 308 Win with very little recoil.

Factory hunting ammo in 6.8 SPC is affordable for it around $20 a box or less.

http://www.gunbot.net/ammo/rifle/68spc/

Back