Best AR foe dog gun?

fantdl

What is the best AR for the money to use for a Dog gun?

I have bought in the past and they would group about 3 inches at a hundered yards so I sold.

I dont want to spend a fortune but I want something that will shoot a good group

You're gong to have to be more specific.

How much are you looking to spend? There are so many options at just about every price point, most comes to preference.

WOW! I have several AR's and they all shoot MOA or better. That's with XM193! My hand loads will do better.

Although I've not owned a lot of rifles in the AR Platform - I'm a bolt action man myself - I've never had one that shot 3" at a hundred. Even the El-Cheapo DPMS Sportical I purchased would shoot under 1". My FIL has a Armalite I have used and it shoots under 1" as well. The best shooting AR I have owned to date was a CMMG with a 20" heavy barrel. With 69gr. hand loads, it would do 1/2" easy.

As for your question, for the money, a Double Star is hard to beat. Excellent CS and quality built rifles. Good luck on your quest....

Originally Posted By: fantdlWhat is the best AR for the money to use for a Dog gun?

I have bought in the past and they would group about 3 inches at a hundered yards so I sold.

I dont want to spend a fortune but I want something that will shoot a good group

I would be glad to discuss your needs for an AR and help you out, I guarantee sub minute accuracy out of my Upper Halves or rifle builds.

you can contact me at Brett@IronworksTactical.com or PM me here.

Thanks for the responses. I started years ago with the Savage over and under combos. Later Migrated to carring a bolt and Auto shotgun.
I really just want something for quick followu up shots that will be no problem out to 200 yards.

As reasonable as possible

The two key elements to an accurate AR are the barrel quality and the trigger group...How it is put together is also on my list but not at the top...I've had nine ARs over the last 15 years and still have three, each for different purposes...

My "Coyote" rifle is one that I put together as inexpensively as I could ($524 @ 5.5#) and it will shoot just about as well as my competition DPMS at the same distances...

I'm shooting a 300 blackout this year
nbds7o.jpg

i got into ARs a couple years ago. my forst one was a keiss KR15 but due to separation and losing my azz in the deal i never got to shoot it or see its real potential. after getting back on my feet i started saving and picked up a rifle. lower is RRA and upper was put together using a few different parts. it has a CMMG 1:8 twist barrel and it loves the 60gr hornady soft points. it will shoot 55s pretty good and all loads i tried in it grouped 1" or better when i do my part. its kinda heavy but i don't mind packing it around.

Originally Posted By: Browniei got into ARs a couple years ago. my forst one was a keiss KR15 but due to separation and losing my azz in the deal i never got to shoot it or see its real potential. after getting back on my feet i started saving and picked up a rifle. lower is RRA and upper was put together using a few different parts. it has a CMMG 1:8 twist barrel and it loves the 60gr hornady soft points. it will shoot 55s pretty good and all loads i tried in it grouped 1" or better when i do my part. its kinda heavy but i don't mind packing it around.

The CMMG I had loved 60gr Vmaxes. Although I'm not a AR type of guy. I wish I'd kept that rifle. It was more than enough for coyotes...

Originally Posted By: sandman22250I'm shooting a 300 blackout this year
nbds7o.jpg

How do you like it? I took mine along this weekend but forgot my qd sling adapter pissed me off!

20140719_160728.jpg

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: JoshuaNRRA uppers are guaranteed to shoot moa at 100yrds. I love my rra this weekend I got roughly 1.5" groups ar 200yrds.

Where on their web site are you finding they guarantee it? They will list 3/4 MOA on some rifles but I have never seen the word "guaranteed" written with it. I know they will shoot that good.

FYI

Steve over at RRA has stated :

"We guarantee that the rifle in question is capable of the accuracy specified, given the ammo and shooter do their parts. If it won't, we authorize the return, test it here, and do whatever we have to to get it to shoot to that guaranteed level of accuracy.
Thanks.
Steve/RRA"

Not that I am a RRA fan boy or anything but my experiences with their customer service have always yielded positive results.

www.jprifles.com is a good AR to look at. I ordered my first one 5 years ago and just ordered my 6th one from them. The first five will all shoot under 1/2 MOA at 100. They all shoot under MOA at 300 yards. They will cost a little more but you won't be sorry if you buy once cry once.

i only have one and its the only one i have used but i will say that i love it, it is my favorite firearm now and that's the rock river predator pursuit with the 16" barrel. i am going to get a 6.8 upper as soon as possible or at least before deer season

Back