Target Panic

grinder67

I have been shooting and hunting with a bow for 30+ years. For the last 10 years I have struggled with severe target panic. I was still able to take deer with no problems but when it was target shooting the instant i knew that I was going to pull the trigger I could not make myself put the pin any closer to the bullseye than a coulple inches. If I told myself that I wasnt going to shoot I could hold the pin solid on the bull for a good 30 seconds or better. But as soon as I decided to shoot BAM the pin would fall coulpe inches low and I could not make myself put it back on the target. I tried many different techniques some helped some didnt but none seemed to last. I was to the point of giving the bow up. I was over it!
A few weeks ago I got access to a back tension release to be specific a carter honey. I had heard these type releases where the way to go for people with target panic but didnt want to spend the high price for another failure. Man alive! Am I glad I did! My shooting has done a complete turn around and my confidence is higher than its been in a decade.
Sorry for the long post but I am psyched and wanted to share.

I wasn't aware that target panic was possible shooting with a trigger and sights.I went through it for a few months once but that was with trad gear.I wouldn't wish it on my worse enemy.From an interview with Fred Bear "I don't even want to talk about it".

Target Panic is completely possible with a modern compound and release. Many shooters have suffered through it. Thank goodness it has never affected me personally.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: grinder67 What is trad gear?
Longbows and recurve's no sights/shooting aids.All I use is a leather tab/armguard.Some trad shooters that suffer with TP found using a kisser button helped solve the problem.I suppose it would work with a compound as well.I got over it by shooting just a few feet from the target and VERY slowly increasing the distance.Just a step at a time.When it happened again I went all the way back and started over and over and over.....It sucked plain'n simple.Took several week's but I finally got over it.

I too had target panic!!!!

It was very frustrating and I found myself shooting two inches low at 30 yards every time. I was punching the trigger release aid every time.

After a year off without shooting the bow I decided to start a new form of shooting and when I had began I focused on lowering the sight on the target instead of raising up, I also changed position of my finger on my release aid.

Problem solved in about 100 arrows down range.

Best of luck to all!

I haven't shot traditional since I was kid but have thought about returning to it. I would think target panic would be less likely as traditional shooting to me is like throwing a baseball but i am sure i am wrong about that. Dont think I would ever hunt that way as Im sure my confidence on a live animal wouldn't be that high.

FWIW-All I had ever heard TP described as (with transitional bows) was not getting the bow drawn anywhere near your normal draw length/anchor point before dumping the string.

Grinder did you start out blank bail shooting before doing any kind of aiming. I recommend doing a lot of it, especially if you are planning on hunting with it this season. Any release can be shot with BT and should be. The awesome thing about BT is all your focus is on aiming and nothing else. The shot shoots its self.

Last edited:
Target panic is anxiety brought on by trying to hold the pin dead steady on target. It will eventually manifest itself as a freeze up when the pin nears the target, exaggerated movement of the pin and shooting before the pin settles, shooting before the pin even nears the intended spot etc. You must train/teach your brain that you will not fire the shot unless the sight picture is acceptable. Most people with target panic will not let a bow down and re-draw. If they pull it, they will shoot it, no matter how poor the aim. This is the habit that has to be broken to control target panic.

Hang a bag target at shoulder height, if it has aiming dots, cover it with something like an old towel so no spots can be seen. Starting at ten feet, pull your bow (with an arrow loaded) and try to keep your pin as close to center as possible, DO NOT FIRE THE SHOT! Hold the draw until you fatigue to the point you no longer can keep the pin relatively centered and let down. Do this five times and you are done for the first night..
Each night you will follow the same regiment except you will be adding another set of five draw and holds. Do this for five nights. (I say nights because this is most easily done in your garage or basement in the evenings after the stress of workday has ended)
At this point you can take a night off if you wish, or you can start the second phase of the regiment.

The second phase is exactly the same as the first, only you will move back another ten feet.

Third phase: Now things will start to get interesting, you will have already noticed large advancements in holding the pin steady on the center of the bag..
Tape or pin a paper plate to the center of the bag, now aiming at the paper plate repeat previous phase. Take a night off or start the fourth phase..

Fourth phase: Your hold now will be getting really solid compared to where you began! Draw a slightly smaller circle on the paper plate (here is what your brain has been waiting for, the reward!) On the fifth hold of each set, IF! and only IF! you like the sight picture and your aim is steady allow yourself to fire the shot. If not, let the bow down and move to the next set.

The remaining phases will be exactly the same, only each time drawing smaller circles on the paper plate until you have achieved your personal goal.

The blind bag shooting Widow maker mentioned is perfect for building form and letting yourself "feel" the shot without distraction of aiming. It should also be done, and you can find many examples on You tube so I wont go into depth on it.

This seems like a long drawn out process but it's really only thirty minutes or so of your evening. If you follow it I will guarantee you will be amazed at how well you will shoot. If later you feel the anxiety coming back just run through a couple of the regiment phases and brush up.

Back