Ouch

ID Clyde

Rough day out calling yotes this morning. Took one of my good buddies out for his first time hunting coyotes he is a very experienced big game hunter. First off he was about 45 minutes late and didn't bring the coffee that was his end of the deal. So we didn't get to the first stand when I wanted to so we finally get to where I wanted to park we get out and start walking off into the dessert about 3/4 of a mile from the truck I get everything set. I told him if we call one in its probably going to be pretty fast paced. he has been listening to me talked about how hard it can be to get everything to work out just right for years now but showed interest in wanting to go with me and my usual hunting partner. that was until he saw a bunch of pictures we had of one pretty good day two weeks ago(shot 5 dogs). I had my home made decoy set up just a metal pole with some feathers tied to it , I fire up my call not even 30 seconds after the call starts a big dog comes flying right around the rock pile headed straight for decoy. My friend is caught off guard the dog never stopped running he takes a couple of running shots needless to say coyotes 1 rick a big old goose egg. I pack everything up and we head farther into the sage brush. After about 35 minutes of walking and constant ridicule from me (I should have know better) we get too the next stand set everything back up and start calling this time its my turn to shoot about 7 minutes into calling here comes another dog on a string right to my decoy I see him coming and what happens next a big old goose egg for me too shot right over his back I even went out to look for blood or hair something nothing clean miss. Rick just busts up laughing and I just hold my head down in shame. Coyotes 2 hunters 0. That makes for a long walk out in the summer heat. On the bright side my calling was working that is something to be happy about I guess.

Well, all I can say is that ALL of us get "shamed" by the wiley 'ole dogs at times. And what's that old saying ..... "If it was easy, anyone could do it!"

My son's first coyote was shot by him before I even saw it! We were sitting back to back and I felt him move, then the shot rocked me by surprise. I jumped up and asked what the $%&# he was shooting at and he smirked and said "You didn't even see it. Did you Dad?"

Back