Introducing the BASE CPS - Competition Primer Seater

It looks like a well made tool. Is there a reason to have to manually feed the primer rather than have the tool do it automatically?

As for safety, I load & prime on a Dillon RL550B & think I'm fairly safe should something go wrong, though nothing has yet.

I kinda don't mind him getting irate. To me it shows that he has a lot of time and probably money invested in the product and is proud of it. Shooters are most time looking for the , "next big thing" maybe this is it. I'd get one if my Jeep didn't "need" so many goodies. LOL. Perhaps a PM would have been better but, it's done. It's gotta get out in the hands of shooters before a verdict can be rendered.

Hey Orkan, since your into making deals. How about sending me one at cost and I will do an honest in depth written review and post it on a dozen different websites of your choice. Let me know:)

Gentlemen, I have no tolerance for people that try to talk about their expertise with something they have zero experience with. In person, on the phone, on the internet, or otherwise... I will not tolerate someone trying to talk from a position of authority without having even the tiniest bit of experience. If a potential customer can not appreciate that, then I'd rather not have them as a customer... as we won't get along at all. I place high value on opinions and feedback about our products, good or bad. We rely on it to give the best service and products possible. Notice I take no exception to the complaints about price, etc. It was only the false claims about operation that I had a problem with. As the admins/mods took action without any prompting from me, I was not the only one that had a problem with it.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: Stu FarishIt looks like a well made tool. Is there a reason to have to manually feed the primer rather than have the tool do it automatically? Thanks Stu! I had the mental image of "bank vault" in my head the entire time I was designing it. The first design did have an automated shuttle system incorporated. There's a few reasons we went with manual shuttle operation.

The first is cost. This tool is already expensive, and it for sure isn't because we're looking to get rich off it. The linkage and timing required to allow for proper clearance and accurate movement of primers on a tool that has a vertical movement of just over 600 thousandths would have at least doubled the cost of the unit. It's easy to move a primer from the tube to the primer rod on a progressive press when you have 4-5" of travel to get a inch or two of perpendicular movement. Not so easy on this. We did it, and had it working... but cost made it a non-starter. We knew there would be push-back on a $450 price tag... but we might have had our offices fire-bombed over a $900 tool.
wink.gif

Second reason was safety. The amount of leverage that can be created with this tool is astonishing considering how small of a package it is in. You can crush a primer until it pops, and continue crushing it up into the pocket until either it gets smashed flat or the case rim is torn off by the shell holder. Granted this needs to be done with willful negligence, but certainly demonstrates what its capable of. In the unlikely event of a primer getting caught crossways somewhere, I didn't want the user to run the risk of accidentally crushing a primer as it comes out of the primer tube, and set off a chain reaction blowing every primer in the tube. With the manual operation, you can feel the primers being moved safely and can stop without applying enough force to cause any problems.

Third reason is human error. Lets face it, automated things are nice, but when a human is involved in the automation process, we can often do things to cause problems. Short stroking, double charging, running too fast, etc. Take a simple double charging... say you run the arm twice, or part way accidentally... this would shove two primers out of position beneath the tube and send them part way down the shuttle toward the primer rod. In an automated system, how would you clear that extra primer, as every time you seat a primer, you'll be moving another extra one. Pain in the neck. With the manual, you just hold the shuttle forward a bit so that it can't return to pick up a new primer, and prime cases until the multiples are cleared. It's just easier this way, and doesn't slow you down a bit.

The fourth reason is longevity and reliability. We were able to simplify the design to ensure several lifetimes of service across millions of primed cases. As we have an unconditional "forever" warranty on the CPS, it was very important to ensure the design was robust yet simple enough to avoid excessive wear and potential issues. We believe we've done that.

Originally Posted By: WhoCaresHey Orkan, since your into making deals. How about sending me one at cost and I will do an honest in depth written review and post it on a dozen different websites of your choice. Let me know:) This is actually a pretty good idea. As of right now I'm opening up an audition to receive and review a BASE CPS. Anyone can enter. You need to demonstrate that you can produce a quality review, with pictures and preferably video, and you need show that you shoot and reload frequently AND have experience with several other priming tools. Pictures help. You don't need to use crayons, but you need to be able to prove what you're saying to me.
wink.gif
You also need to demonstrate that you are active on several forums and can complete the review in a timely manner. Whoever posts the best "audition" convincing me you are the right one, will be selected to receive a free CPS!

I know I'm only a rookie when it comes to reloading as I've only been doing it for a year and a half, and have only primed about 1500-1700 pcs of brass up to this point, but even this "rookie" can honestly say that this tool would be a very welcome addition to my reloading process any day.
thumbup1.gif

Someday I hope to have a Giraud trimmer, an annealer of some sort, and a stainless steel pins cleaning system. I might have to add this item to my "must have" list eventually.
wink.gif

So I'm not trying to talk down your product but I did wonder how a primer in am rcbs hand held priming tool sets off the entire.tray?? I was priming some cases today and once the primer begings its journey up the cylynder it gets isolated from.the "chute" that drops.in from the tray. It seems it would take a super soft primer cup or a stupid person to push hard enough to set off a primer half way in the cylynder. While said stupids are out there the tool in question isnt the problem. The fact that they own such equipment is. Your set up looks well built and very nice but the price is steep enough that I wouldnt purchase it. Im a tin man so my days are spent running sheetmetal snips all day. Same motion as the priming tool. I prime a couple hundred cases at a time as I dont shoot as much as id like and can only spend an hour or two before bed time reloading due to kids work wife ect.

Orkan,

Are there internals to change from small to large primers? Do you have to disassemble this thing to change and is it time consuming?

And..

I assume it uses the basic Lee shell holders like the hand held Lee priming tool uses?

Last edited:
Brownie, I'm sure there's a way for just about anything to be dangerous. I've primed hundreds of thousands of cases in my lifetime with hand primers and never had an incident. Though it certainly has happened, and there are several documented instances of hand primer trays blowing up. I once saw a batch of primers that would detonate when thrown on the ground like those little snap fireworks the kids use! Safety was a concern during the design of the CPS, but what led me to the need for it was fatigue and lack of precision when using my other tools.

Originally Posted By: FurhunterOrkan,

Are there internals to change from small to large primers? Do you have to disassemble this thing to change and is it time consuming?

And..

I assume it uses the basic Lee shell holders like the hand held Lee priming tool uses? Yes, you must swap out the shuttle assembly, priming rod, and bushing. Takes about a minute or so.

Yes it uses the Lee-type shell holders as used in several hand priming tools. They are available from various different companies. The sinclair versions seem to be of a little higher quality than some.

Originally Posted By: willy1947

I have been using a RCBS APS bench primer for 20 years with no problems. It loves hard cup primers.

Excellent story. Thanks for sharing.

I've never used a hand priming tool. When I started my friend had a single stage press -a Hornady, I think, I remember that it was red- that had a priming tool on it that we used. Later I bought the Dillon.

I might be wrong but would expect that using a hand tool to prime lots of brass would lead to hand fatigue & likely be aggravating for someone suffering pain in their hands. This new tool looks like it would do a lot to alleviate such problems.

Originally Posted By: Stu FarishI've never used a hand priming tool. When I started my friend had a single stage press -a Hornady, I think, I remember that it was red- that had a priming tool on it that we used. Later I bought the Dillon.

I might be wrong but would expect that using a hand tool to prime lots of brass would lead to hand fatigue & likely be aggravating for someone suffering pain in their hands. This new tool looks like it would do a lot to alleviate such problems.

And there you hit on one of the strong points of the bench mount. There are some adjustable hand held priming units but age and arthritis are their enemy. I know my hands aren't liking the hand priming as much as they did 30 years ago.

Greg

Originally Posted By: GLShooterI know my hands aren't liking the hand priming as much as they did 30 years ago.

Greg I'm young, and strong as an ox... and I still don't like that fatigue!
wink.gif
I want to spend my time shooting, not priming. So the faster and more precisely I can get that job done with the least amount of effort, the happier I am. Come to think of it, that goes for all of my reloading processes!

Originally Posted By: orkanOriginally Posted By: GLShooterI know my hands aren't liking the hand priming as much as they did 30 years ago.

Greg I'm young, and strong as an ox... and I still don't like that fatigue!
wink.gif
I want to spend my time shooting, not priming. So the faster and more precisely I can get that job done with the least amount of effort, the happier I am. Come to think of it, that goes for all of my reloading processes!

I hear that. Twenty two years in prison took the young out of me. I can stil fight but I would have to get it over PDQ now.

Greg

I'm going to give one a try, order placed yesterday.

I mentioned it to my neighbor whom I load some ammo for. Well actually, I guide him thru the process of reloading his own ammo on my equipment which is the way it's supposed to be right
grin.gif

He dreads the priming and really hates my Lee hand primer (admittedly, I'm starting to dislike it myself) so he offered to split the cost of this with me. I couldn't turn that down so Greg's going to be sending one of these to my house. I'll let you all know what I think about it after some time with it.

Originally Posted By: FurhunterI'm going to give one a try, order placed yesterday.

I mentioned it to my neighbor whom I load some ammo for. Well actually, I guide him thru the process of reloading his own ammo on my equipment which is the way it's supposed to be right
grin.gif

He dreads the priming and really hates my Lee hand primer (admittedly, I'm starting to dislike it myself) so he offered to split the cost of this with me. I couldn't turn that down so Greg's going to be sending one of these to my house. I'll let you all know what I think about it after some time with it.

Let me know as I am on the fence.
thumbup1.gif

Originally Posted By: venaticOriginally Posted By: FurhunterI'm going to give one a try, order placed yesterday.

grin.gif

Let me know as I am on the fence.
thumbup1.gif

I went back and forth on it several times then finally decided to try one. Yea its expensive, or we think its expensive based on the other options out there that do the same thing however.. I'm pretty sure we've all spent some good amounts of money on other items for our hobby. Kinda like that Badger or Nightforce set of rings and picatinny bases that can set you back 300 bucks. That's for only one rifle where as a tool like this services all of your firearms.

I've spent more money on bolt, barrel fluting and cerakote on a single rifle and none of that had any effect on the final product other than cool factor. [beeep] a badger DBM set up for a short action 700 costs more money than this tool. So putting it into perspective like that makes it easier to spend the money on it, at least for me it did.

Originally Posted By: Furhunter
So putting it into perspective like that makes it easier to spend the money on it, at least for me it did.

I love it - shooters can rationalize ANYTHING!!!

Back