I wanna try something new on coyotes.

South Paw Shooter

Guys I really need some help here. Is shot gunning close coyotes the way to go? I was thinking of using a shotgun on coyotes this season and my buddy use his rifle if they get a run on us. Really have no idea were to start. I am 5'11" @155lbs so I don't want to have to visit the chiropractor after every hunt. What guns, optics and ammo are you all using and or recommend.

Originally Posted By: South Paw ShooterI am 5'11" @155lbs so I don't want to have to visit the chiropractor after every hunt. What guns, optics and ammo are you all using and or recommend.

you have never shot any kind of a shotgun or been around anybody shooting one before? you are plenty big enough to handle it. shotguns are way better at close range. way better.

Originally Posted By: South Paw ShooterGuys I really need some help here. Is shot gunning close coyotes the way to go? I was thinking of using a shotgun on coyotes this season and my buddy use his rifle if they get a run on us. Really have no idea were to start. I am 5'11" @155lbs so I don't want to have to visit the chiropractor after every hunt. What guns, optics and ammo are you all using and or recommend.

I'm not sure I understand, are you saying you're concerned with shotgun recoil and your size? Ever been dove hunting?

I know guys that have gone white wing dove hunting in Argentina and shot literally 1000's of shells in a couple days, as far as I know no medical attention required.

I think you'll be fine shot-gunning coyotes, I know I wished I had one a few times when they came out of the brush close.

Recoil is a mi-nute concern really, just not sure of what to buy as far as shotgun /optics configuration and what ammo to use. I looked at some dead coyote rounds but at $40 a box I'll pass on them. Should I go with a pump or auto. I found a new shotgun at local pawn shop today that was both auto and pump with the flip of a switch made by try-star called the Try-star Tec12 that was all sorts of cool kinda.

Interesting. No offense, but I see you've been on here since 2009. Do you ever read any post or do you just get on once every few months?

I have a Weatherby semi auto turkey gun with X-full choke that I shoot 3" copper plated BB through with a 20" barrel and it's quite nasty in case it matters.

I have a single shot turkey gun with a 21" barrel and a xfull choke. Patterns with coyote rounds to 65 yards in a plate. After that its a spray and pray kinda deal. Haven't ever taken an animal past 47 with it though.

Last edited:
My Mossberg 500, 28in vent rib barrel, shooting #4 buckshot loads through a Dead Coyote choke with a Knoxx Spec Ops recoil absorbing stock hasn't had any coyotes, foxes or bobcats complain when I have dropped them. I got a coyote with it this season at 70 yards. Not ideal for that range, but it can be done.

I think you are full of wishful thinking if you think that your going to hurt yourself shooting coyotes with a shotgun..
No offense, but new hunters generally don't shoot more than 20 or so at best. The first year i hunted i only got one.

Shooting Coyotes close (within 50yrds) with a rifle is harder, especially if they are moving. Not to mention they mess up the pelts and in Kansas, i would want to make sure I take the highest percentage shot possible and not ruin pelts within 50yrds. I like the modified choke and Hornady Coyote shells for the price and quality.

New hunters, generally shoot farther at coyotes. The better you get at calling and hunting, the closer the coyotes are going to get and the more you will shoot with the Shotgun. Taking them with a shotgun is usually a reflection on the quality of your stands, paying attention to the wind, and the quality of the calling.
I would be really happy if i shotgunned all of my coyotes in a season. There are going to be cases where you need to make a running shot, and also long shots for those stubborn, or run off coyotes, but overall, count the ones that come into that close ranges as good success.

Just my opinion. good luck.

Though I do agree with you, I am far from new at this and know I can learn much more to this. Last year my calling partner (another member on here ) and I called in over 50 and shot over 30 most of which were shot inside of 20-30yds and a few much closer, we have been doing this a long time but I have never used a shotgun while calling I always figured it would tear them up so I did not bother with it. Our goal this year is 75 coyotes and I think we can do it. Thanks for the info guys I think I'm going with a Stoger M3000 or M3500 I read a lot of reviews and talked to a few hunters who use them and they love them not to mention there only about $500-$650 new.

If you are with a friend one guy shotgun and the other rifle is a great idea. If you are alone a rifle with a scope that goes down to 1x and shooting with both eyes open is a good way to go.

Get a beretta a300, winchester sx3, or franchi affinity. For a cheaper gun a weatherby sa08. All of them have way better reviews than any stoeger. I'd get the sx3 myself.

870 SUPPER EXPRESS 3 1/2" 28" barrel Very tight choke. Lead "F" shot about 1 1/2 oz. going around 1300 fps, will do it. An amazing combination for coyotes under 70 yards !

Back