A little help here guys. Coyotes or domestic dogs. Goats killed.

kila

Our FFA goats got hit and several killed but not fed upon. I was out of town when they sent pics to me, but my phone sucks, and I can't make out the picture very well. Sending here to see if you guys can help.
I know the pic in the dirt is hard to see, but appears to be pretty good sized track. The others on the pavement in blood, show up alot better.
What do you guys think.
These goats are in an enclosed fenced area. Like I said, were not fed on, so that seems to rule out coyotes. Remember, I live in Utah, and in a small farming community where the $ 50.00 dollar bounty has really thinned the number of coyotes locally, and especially anything very close to town here. Everything gets shot at around here, and these goats are right behind the high school.

Last edited:

Here is a track I've been after in my back yard. I'd say 1 slipped in and got dessert. A question I would ask is there domestic dogs running loose in the area

Looks like dogs to me. All the coyote tracks I seen here are much narrower and longer than the ones pictured. Only one way to find out

All the coyote tracks I seen here are much narrower and longer than the ones pictured. I have to agree dog/s

Yes, small farm community, so alot of dogs running loose. The area where the goats are is wide open sage leading up to the juniper hills, so coyotes used to be seen quite often like this time of year when the pups were coming off the dens, but like I said, they stay pretty shot up around here. There are some pissed off parents who have spend alot of time with these animals and their kids prepping for FFA, so it's gonna get kinda crazy here in town. Originally Posted By: Loggers Inn
Here is a track I've been after in my back yard. I'd say 1 slipped in and got dessert. A question I would ask is there domestic dogs running loose in the area

Do you have any pictures of the goats? 99% of the time, a coyote kills with a bite to the throat right at the jawline. Kills are clean, as in, hardly any dirt on the meat. Dogs, bite the butt, and will show rips in the hide, and the prey will look like it's been rolled in the dirt. They just about worry a animal to death biting it all over. Bobcat will bite the windpipe, and if you skin out the neck-shoulder area you will see claw marks-punchers where it held on.

Back