6x6.8 or 243lbc

riverboss

Which would you choose and why? What is the case compasity diff? Im looking for light weight 18-20 "barrel any impute will be greatly appresiated.

Capacity is virtually identical. The 6X68 is faster because of a higher operating pressure. The Grendel magazines can be used in both.

The 6X6.8 will do well with bullets up to 105 with the 95's really shining. It makes a good hunting round for deer etc. An antelope at 664 yrads last year with a 90 Berger tasted good. The 58 grain VMAX is a hammer on coyotes and every barrel shoots them well with the magic load. The throat is not overly long and they shoot into the lands easily at mag lenght.

The 243 is a slightly better round for the 105's as it does let you load out of the case a bit more. The throat on the 243 LBC from BHW is set up to handle VLD''s and it shoots well. It makes an excellent hunting cartidge also.

Long range target work is good with both but the LBC gets a slight edge thanks to case design. 1000 yards is doable with both. The hot rocks bullet in the LBC for that is the 95 Berger of the SMK. Ballistically the 95 does better than the 105's at that distance.

The 6X6.8 is a bit more reliable thanks to case design theoretically but 100% is 100% in either.

Commercial varmint 6X6.8 is loaded by Tactical Ammuntion that shoots lights out in all our guns. The LBC shoots into the 3's pretty often. Brass for the 6X6.8 is a bit more available but the Lapua for the 6.5 is outstanding.

Both cartidges can be laoded witha single Redding Typoe S die and a bushing. Very straight forward with no fire forming. Hornady seaters do well for seating. Both are no turn necks.

I have extensive load data for both rounds as I have three of each from 18 to 24". Barrel weight is not an issue as they wil be identical. I shoot standard weight barrels on some and they are well balanced.

Greg

Originally Posted By: riverbossThanks i figured the 243 would be a better choice bbut now im leaning toward the 6x6.8.

They both have advantages. I do have a sweet spot for the 6.8 variants though.

Greg

Of them all Id build/buy a 6x6.8.
I have one and have no issues to 700 yards at the range and in actual coyote use no problems or misses (good shooter) on coyote.
Flat out drops them and will be doing antelope come Oct.
I run a 55g for coyote and the 95g for antelope.
Im a big fan of 6mm over any other bore for anything over p-dogs.
Id rather run a 95g bullet at 2900 to 3000 fps than a 123g at 2600 fps for anything past 200 yds to 600 yds.

You need to make sure you consider the 6mm Benchrest. I am putting one together right now. All it takes is a Super Bolt and barrel from AR15 Performance. Obviously all of these choices really are only viable if you reload. Read a little here about the 6BR http://www.6mmbr.com/6mmbr.html. If you want to kick it up a little more look at the 6BRX it smokes them all but requires a little more brass massageing. The more I read about it the more I am excited for this season. The velocities look impressive.

The 6mm BR is an impressive cartridge. But it only shines when used in a bolt gun. The AR platform is not capable of running at those pressures. The Super Bolt only address one of the problems. It will take the head thrust but when it comes to Hoop strength the case is simply to big in diameter to push at the pressures of a bolt gun. I wouldn't push it past 35 to 40,000 PSI but that's my opinion.

If you compare apples to apples the 6X6.8 will and does run with the 6mm BR. The 6X6.8 will push a 58 grain Vmax 3600 FPS out of a 24" barrel. That is while being feed from a magazine. The data is out there to compare if you doubt what I say.

The last problem I see, is with the barrel from ARP "who made it" He is a vendor, not a manufacturer. If I am going to spend north of $400 for a barrel it better at least be a match grade barrel. I also would like to be able to order my barrel in the configuration that I want. Length is a big factor to get velocity. A 20" barrel is simply not long enough to get the top speed.

While i like speed its bullet weight selection that matters most to me this will primarily be a calling rifle. But also used for doe patrol and alittle steel barrel length needs to be 18-20" for my liking so speed will suffer alittle i wish i had more buddys who owner ars as hand guard lengths and feel are my next thong to figure out. I have a RR pred upper 20" and its way to heavy i want a 8-9 # gun scoped and loaded. Thank for the help Rich i will be droping you a order in a week or so.

Update I called Rich and he had the barrel I wanted in stock!! I ordered it last Friday and got it Thursday 6x6.8 18" Thanks Rich range report will be awhile ive got to save up some money to finish build.

Originally Posted By: riverbossUpdate I called Rich and he had the barrel I wanted in stock!! I ordered it last Friday and got it Thursday 6x6.8 18" Thanks Rich range report will be awhile ive got to save up some money to finish build.

That's great but where was the fun in not waiting three months???
scared.gif

That will be one fun one when you wring it out. Congratulations.

Greg

Back