AR Upper 7.62x39

6mm06

I have been reading some lately about AR 15 uppers in 7.62x39, as well as viewing a few YouTube clips. What I gather from it all is that the 7.62x39 can pose some reliability problems. It seems that the issues mainly involve the feed ramp, magazines and even the firing pin.

I saw one specific YouTube video where a guy did some modifications to the three issues I mentioned, ie feed ramp, magazine and firing pin and the upper then functioned well.

My thoughts are that someone (company) probably offers a dependable upper and has taken consideration of the issues plaguing the 7.62x39 in an AR platform.

Does anyone know of such a company that offers a reliable upper in the 7.62x39?

Rock River now has an AR in 7.62 but it has a special lower with a curved magwell. After hearing all the issues with other 7.62's I went with a 300blkout instead. Too bad because I have a large supply of 7.62 ammo.

Originally Posted By: 6mm06
I have been reading some lately about AR 15 uppers in 7.62x39, as well as viewing a few YouTube clips. What I gather from it all is that the 7.62x39 can pose some reliability problems. It seems that the issues mainly involve the feed ramp, magazines and even the firing pin.

I saw one specific YouTube video where a guy did some modifications to the three issues I mentioned, ie feed ramp, magazine and firing pin and the upper then functioned well.

My thoughts are that someone (company) probably offers a dependable upper and has taken consideration of the issues plaguing the 7.62x39 in an AR platform.

Does anyone know of such a company that offers a reliable upper in the 7.62x39?

This combination is known to have lots of problems. Some rifles feed without a problem and some never work. Some can be made to function with an occasional FTF by polishing the feed ramps, tweeking the feed rails of the magazine, reshaping the magazine follower, Etc.

There are a few other things that plague the 7.62X39 like ammunition specifications. Its all over the place. Combine that with steel cased ammunition that has a lacquer coating and you have a function problem, or at the least a high maintenance upper. Also the cheap ammunition is not as plentiful as it was in the past.

In a nut shell the best way to overcome these problems is to load for it. If you are going to load you might as well shoot a Grendel / .264LBC The case has less taper so it will feed.

The last big hurtle is the barrel. Most barrel manufactures don't make a .311 diameter bore. America loves it's 30's, but with a .308 bore. The barrels that are being produced are hit and miss. If you get one that shoots you smile after every shot. If you get one that doesn't you might as well break out your 12 gauge with 00 buck. The groups will look about the same.

I bought a DPMS 7.62x39 at a great price a couple years ago. I never had feeding issues but have had bad ammo! I reload for it and have never had another problem. The groups are .5"-.6" @100. I have grouped 3" at 300 yards. Absolutely surprised me! Finding the components has been a pita, but after that, it works well and is now the rifle I carry on my motorcycle while camping. The short barrel makes it ideal for my duosport. Coyotes are not happy with it at all.

Mine doesn't like cheap ammo-no bang. I enhanced the firing pin, it helped a little but tula doesn't cut it, just dimples the primer. Winchester is fine but pricey. Anyone looking to trade for mine-with above problem of course.

Well, You guys summed it up pretty good. Looks like just too many issues with the cartridge in an AR platform to consider it. I thought the availability of relatively cheap ammo might make an upper more appealing, but it doesn't when all the problems are considered.

Thanks to everyone who responded.

Originally Posted By: SmackerquackerRock River now has an AR in 7.62 but it has a special lower with a curved magwell. After hearing all the issues with other 7.62's I went with a 300blkout instead. Too bad because I have a large supply of 7.62 ammo.

Not available yet either.

Back