Reloader question

ILPredHunter12

Good evening guys. Got a quick question for ya. I recently got a .22-250 and the problem I ran into is the two local sporting goods seem to never have .22-250 ammo. So instead of taking an hour long trip to cabelas or bass pro to buy .250 and 30-06 ammo, i decided i wanted to start reloading. So my question for you is, if you were to recommend a loader for a beginner what would it be? I would like to buy a kit with everything a person needs to start reloading. Also, what reloading book would you recommend? I was told to stay away from Lee Precision, but wasn't given a reason why.

Thanks, ILPred

For a starter the RCBS Rockchucker Press is hard to beat. RCBS sells a whole starer kit that pretty much covers everything you will need to start. As for loading manuals Speer, Hornady,Nosler they all are good,you will notice that each manual will give different loading stats for the same load with the same components. This is normal and they are all right for where the testing was done. They are all a guide and not set in stone just DO NOT start off with max loads. You can start with a mid-range powder load and work up in small increments. You will find that the best accuracy isn't necessarily the fastest load. The reason to stay away from Lee is you get what you pay for. They will work but are not the highest quality. I hope this helps.

The RCBS kit is a good place to start, I think it includes a Speer manual. The three manuals I use the most are the Hornady, Nosler, and Sierra, You can go to Hodgdons load data on line and print data for the cartridges you reload.

The Lyman T-Mag kit with the electronic scales would be my pick on this one. Speed down the road but stout. I have suggested it to a few guys and all have been pleased. YMMV

Greg

I personally don't think u really save much money going with a kit vs picking your parts. If you plan on doing this one time and done I would go with the Forester Co-Ax press. The Rock Chucker is a good press and will last forever, just not my first choice. Then look at what comes in a kit and purchase the best of each item u can afford. Also RCBS has a deal if u purchase $300 in stuff you get $50 back in rebates till the end of the year. Have fun!

A couple of things .....

Don't buy ONE manual, buy SEVERAL. Read them all ... TWICE. Make sure you have a complete understanding of what you're doing before you pull the handle on a press.

Lee isn't bad stuff. They will stand up to most "hobbyists" because the volume of ammunition isn't that large. RCBS and Redding are great presses and will last you a lifetime. You need a simple one-stage press to start with. I doubt that your needs would qualify for a progressive or turret press, and the one stage presses are easier to use for starters.

The press isn't nearly as important as the support tools. Scales are far more important. I would suggest a balance type scale for the casual and beginning reloader. Digital scales are OK, but they have been known to get out of calibration at times. A good balance scale is a no-brainer to use.

Any time you have a question ... no matter how frivolous or stupid you may think it is ... come on here and ASK. You'll find that the guys here like CatShooter and some others have reloaded more rounds than Cabelas has in stock. Far more. They are always willing to answer a question and they understand that you are a beginner. I've never seen a question on here get a snobby answer. To quote a saying from the PGA Tour ... "These guys are good!" They'll always help when asked.

TAKE YOUR TIME. Think about what you are doing. Go slowly and develop a "system" on your bench that keeps your components organized.

Powder isn't inherently dangerous if stored in the original container and kept away from sources of heat and flame. Primers, on the other hand, CAN be dangerous. Handle them with care and never store them in anything except the factory trays that they are sold in.

Have fun! And good luck with your decisions. Take your time deciding what you want and spend your money wisely.

Last edited:
How many rounds do you shoot in a year. If It is only a 100 to 150 then I would be real hard pressed to take up reloading. Plus you can order ammo online and have it in a couple days. You will also need to find a source for powder, primers and bullets. If they can not be found locally then you will still be driving to find them. Also if you still want to start reloading and only shoot around 200 per year out of each gun get a good D press. It can even be a Lee. I have a few buddies that have started that way and they can produce quality ammo. The Lee starter kit does not have the quality accessories as some but most people upgrade them very quick on the other kits also. Also check online forms you can pick up the press and other things cheaper.

Getting started reloading can be expensive for the first timer. There are certain things that you must have (press, dies, scales) and other things that can come a bit later (brass polisher, hand priming tools, bullet pullers, case trimmers, annealing equipment, etc.) Certain things such as a stuck case remover you could buy later, but you should buy when you get started reloading. Trust me on this one.

Chances are you already know someone who reloads or maybe you know someone that knows someone that reloads. See if you can get an invite to look at what they got and ask questions. What's this for and what's that for and how much does it cost and where do I get it type of thing. Write it down too.

Then, check the want-ads and/or go to a gun show or two. You might find someone that is selling everything he has for a fraction of what it would cost you to buy new right on Craigslist. And I have seen just amazing deals from time to time at gun shows. You can often get a press such as a Rock Chucker, dies and a decent scale in the $100 ballpark. You will find vibratory tumblers, case trimmers and all kinds of stuff if the show is any size at all. If possible, take someone with you that knows that this stuff cost and pay for his admission in. His knowledge will be great to have when it comes time to dicker.

Main advise? Buy good stuff. Buy once and cry once. I am using the same RCBS Rock Chucker that I bought over 40 years ago. Hundreds of thousands of cranks on that handle and it still works like it did new. A few battle scars but eh, you can't keep your tractor looking like new forever either, can you?

While is true that some things such as powder are hard to find now I really think that will change someday soon. When the POS that we have in Washington is gone (Please, God!) things should get much better.

It is a lifetime hobby and after four decades of doing it I still enjoy it very much. I guess that as long as I can still do it I will keep doing it. Fun and satisfying things at my age are very treasured things.

Originally Posted By: deaddogwalkinHow many rounds do you shoot in a year. If It is only a 100 to 150 then I would be real hard pressed to take up reloading. Plus you can order ammo online and have it in a couple days. You will also need to find a source for powder, primers and bullets. If they can not be found locally then you will still be driving to find them.

Good point. Valid point, actually. But don't overlook the fact that you can tailor loads to your particular firearms. Not to mention the enjoyment & satisfaction that reloading can bring. I agree that anyone reloading to "save money" or simply for convenience is likely kidding themselves unless they're shooting vast amounts of ammo or competing.

I would buy the Rockchucker and RCBS equipment. Their customer service is the best in the business, and later, if you decide to go progressive, they have a Piggyback series that works well, and it attached to the Rockchucker. You don't have to buy another press, as is the case with most other manufacturers. The Piggyback has its quirks, but they all do...

Regardless, welcome to the fraternity of handloaders!

Its hard to beat rcbs customer service if you have a problem. I have a rcbs rockchucker set up with the piggy back kit and a single stage rcbs jr3. If a guy is on a tight budget the lee kit will get the job done and if you decide reloading is not your thing your not out a lot of money. I had one set up over at my dads house I loaded a lot of 44 mag 222 rem and 7 mag. For dies I have a mix of rcbs lyman pacfic and lee. The last 3 sets of dies that i bought have been lee been really pleased with them.
J

Thanks for all the input guys! Helps out a TON. I seen a couple responses about the manuals. That is the first thing I will do before I even pull it out of the box. I want to do it and have fun, but also want to be 200% safe about it. I greatly appreciate the responses. I was thinking about the RCBS and Hornady kits and thanks for the input on the Lee kits. I appreciate it a ton guys!

Thanks, ILPred

some reloading books are only data, others are both instructional and data.

Consider buying some that are instructional but not the most current. You can get them cheap (see amazon & look for the "new and use from..." links) & the "how to reload" doesn't change much. Then maybe spend the money on a newer one based on need to get the most current data fro what you want to work with.

Originally Posted By: WhoCaresI personally don't think u really save much money going with a kit vs picking your parts.

I also agree with getting or contacting friends that also load and each of you get a different book, and share the data. They are not all the same and some say that certain loads are safe, and others will say it's outside of safe. Despite the temptation to load a 22-250 for speed, I would suggest working within safe limits, and load within those ranges to find the load (primer, bullet, powder and seating depth) that is the most accurate load you can make. Dropping that first coyote/Prairie Dog at 500+ with your loaded ammo is very satisfying.

I bought a Honady single stage press with the quick change collars. What ever you get, since you are going to load more than one caliber, get the quick change, so you can set them and be done with that.

My best advice is to find someone that lives around you that you know and feel confident in and watch them, ask, and ask again.. There is a lot of things here, and it's easy to do, but worse is that it's easy to mess up and this is a a mess up that has your face right next to it.
I have a friend that isn't as careful as he should be and ended up with a round little powder and a bullet stuck in the barrel.. A series of bad choices later he ended up getting a new barrel. At least it was a stuck round vs. the opposite.

I suggest saving brass, and getting a tumbler, and i prefer the one shot spray over a lube pad.. get or print a loading log.(one page per gun)
If your on a budget I would buy a used tumbler in good shape, as well as a trimmer to start.. Check yard sales and other places for a primer, and case prep tools and a bullet puller and as bad as is sounds just get a stuck case puller now too. Trust me, you will use it at some point. used for some this stuff should be fine becuase after you get everything else you need and get going, in a few years, you will want to upgrade or change out some of it and you won't feel bad about getting rid of a used tumbler to get a stainless steel one.
thumbup1.gif

The other thing to think about is how much shooting you are going to do? I enjoy my loading bench time, and don't worry about speed and take personal satisfaction in loading my own and the quality of those. If you are someone that is going to go to the range and burn through a pile of brass, then a progressive dillion is the best, but you may want a progressive press or a self indexing press to handle lots of loading. (there are 3 mayjor types)

I didn't like the kits because i don't feel like i save money buying things that i won't use. Most people that load for more than a few years and do it more than they buy ammunition, don't use most of the things that come in the kit.
for example, I went online and bought a digital scale that measures to the .02 most loading digital scales go to the .1 for half the price. There is a difference in loads between 42.42gr and 42.48 for my gun 22-250. (it was .2moa) doesn't seem like much but I am trying to make the best product i can, within reason. Not to mention there is a difference of Standard Deviation (SD) between a load measured to 42.42gr vs 42.4

One of the best things is that you are here. There are some people here that are very helpful, some may give you a hard time, but almost everyone is very knowledgable and willing to share.

Another suggestion for cheaper learning.

amazon has a new program for the Kindle called Kindle Unlimited. For $9.99 / month you get unlimited access to over 600,000 titles. Here's one example:

http://www.amazon.com/Beginners-Guide-Re...eloading+manual

With Kindle Unlimited you can read it for free.

You don't have to have a Kindle. They have free Kindle reading apps for smartphones. tablets, PC's & MAC's, as well as a reader for your browser. I use these all the time.

Most of the reloading manuals are not in the unlimited program but you might find it worth your time to search the site & see what you come up with.

Also, consider that both bullet and powder manufacturers produce reloading manuals.

A book from a bullet company will list all of their bullets, using a variety of powders that may or may not include the one you want to use.

A book from a powder company will list all of their powders for each caliber, with a variety of bullets that may or may not include the bullet you want to use.

By having books from each you can cross reference & usually end up with a reliable range of loads to try.

Originally Posted By: Tbone-AZ
WhoCares said:
One of the best things is that you are here. There are some people here that are very helpful, some may give you a hard time, but almost everyone is very knowledgable and willing to share.

Yes.
Lots of good folks here that are willing to help. All you have to do is ask.
thumbup1.gif

I appreciate all the input guys! Thanks a bunch. Your help is greatly appreciated! Hopefully get a loader soon and learn how to do it. My uncle used to reload all the time for his .250, unfortunately he sold his press and all of his reloading supplies. He had to quit because of his new job and simply not having the time to do it without interfering with his family time. He is going to teach me how to do it and I am planning on taking full advantage of his help. I truly greatly appreciate all of the input! Hope to be posting pictures of coyotes killed with loads I made!

Thanks a BUNCH, ILPred

Back