Fur help?

huntern

I'm quite new to this so lets see how this goes. I recently inherited 2 pelts, one coyote and one lynx. I have no idea what was done with them because I usually buy a finished project. I want to make them a nice rug eventually. I'm wondering if any of you experienced hunters could help me if I post pictures?

that is known as case skinned. it is usually done that way if its going to be sold at a fur sale.

for making a rug they are usually skinned different. like up the belly and the inside of all 4 legs and then tanned to make the leather soft. dont think you want to mess with those ones you have for making rugs. hope that helps.

Look up moyles tannery. Once they are tanned you can make anything. They are not that expensive for a couple of hides.

You could as suggested above tan them and then make hoops out of them for display. That is the old way furs were dried for sale back in the days of the mountain men. Look up "beaver hoops" to get the idea if interested. I don't have a picture but basically you cut them flat and do a little trimming, then string them in a "hoop" of willow branch. Beavers are round but the animals you have will be kind of oval or elongated. They get strung to the willow hoop with raw hide. I have a few hanging in my cabin, adds to the décor.

Back