Sako A7 Roughtech Range

JellyCannon

Has anyone shot, seen, or handled one of these guns? Anyone had any experience with Sako A7 rifles and can recommend them? Its either going to be this sexy beast, or a Tikka T3 Super Varmint for my first gun, what do you think?

I have owned a Sako A7 300wsm and a A7 22-250. Both great shooters. Expensive rifles but from my experience, their 5-shot under an inch guarantee delivered with the two rifles I had. The Tikkas are good rifles also. I'm a Remington man though.

I have a A7 in 270wsm. They discontinued them in the wsm calibers. I love mine! It has been a 1/2" rifle since I pulled it out of the box. I am running 140g accubonds and the gun just loves them. I love sako and tikka rifles. You can't go wrong with either.

I looked them up. Sweet rifle and if I'm right MSRP is about $1100.00 US dollars. Not bad for a Sako. Are they a varmint weight barrel or sporter weight, I couldn't tell.

Haha, I can understand the hate on something this perverse Coyotekiller. Yeah the Roughtec Pro is a blued 24.4" Fluted Medium Contour, the Roughtech Range is a SS 26" Fluted Heavy Contour. Australia hasnt received official pricing yet, should hear in August/September; heres hoping the Roughtech Range comes in under $2K. As much as I respect Remington 700's their MOA guarantee is only 3-shot, with THEIR premium ammo, Tikka and Sako have a 5-shot MOA guarantee, with ANY premium ammo.

The Sako finland site displays many appealing models that are not available in the US. We have to look at Bereta USA site.

On closer inspection of our Berreta website (Australia) it doesnt look like we're getting it in either =( It's mind boggling! It will be LITERALLY the only current gun from Sako and Tikka that we wont be able to get!

Originally Posted By: JellyCannon. As much as I respect Remington 700's their MOA guarantee is only 3-shot, with THEIR premium ammo, Tikka and Sako have a 5-shot MOA guarantee, with ANY premium ammo.

Usually, its only the first shot that counts anyways...

Didn't you say in your last thread that you were going to be hand loading anyways?

Yes I will be handloading, I was just pointing out the difference between the Remington MOA guarantee and the Tikka/Sako MOA guarantee. It helps during cull work, if 5 shots are guaranteed within an inch of me aiming thats better than 3 and then opening up. Thats five dead animals compared to three =) not saying that I wouldn't be able to get them with a Rem, but re-assures me that all error will be on me.

Originally Posted By: JellyCannonYes I will be handloading, I was just pointing out the difference between the Remington MOA guarantee and the Tikka/Sako MOA guarantee. It helps during cull work, if 5 shots are guaranteed within an inch of me aiming thats better than 3 and then opening up. Thats five dead animals compared to three =) not saying that I wouldn't be able to get them with a Rem, but re-assures me that all error will be on me.

Can you shoot MOA consistently?

What do you think a 3 shot group opens up to?

Do you think your going to be able to shoot MOA in field conditions doing cull work? Can you shoot a 1" 5 shot group at 100 yards shooting off a set of sticks while standing, sitting or kneeling on the ground? (I could probably answer this for you)

Just because a rifle manufacturer says it will do a 5 shot MOA group DOES NOT mean its going to shoot an inch at 100 yards in your hands. At the end of the day, you can buy the best tools available but if you don't have the skills to use them to their potential, the MOA guarantees don't mean anything.

Quote: I'm 21 and I've recently aquired my firearms licence and will be looking to purchase a new gun in the coming months. I've chosen 25-06 as my calibre as it gives me the best spread of Ammunition for what i'll be hunting; Foxes, Pigs, Goats, Wild Dogs, and the big hoppy things that live in OZ

I got new for you, it won't take a benchrest quality rifle to kill these critters at even extended ranges. Just about anything with decent out of the box accuracy will be more than adequate for such targets.

Firstly, theres no need to bite my head off. Secondly you assume way to much thinking that I have only just started shooting because I have just aquired a licence, I did so out of convenience. I am however buying my first gun, hence the two posts, I was about to settle on the Super Varmint when I saw the Roughtech Range. Cull work centres on Kangaroo's, the only "Humane" killzone according to the goverenment is the head, and the high neck. They have pretty small heads 100 metres plus, when you see a mob of 30 chillin having a chew of your crop with a huge trail destruction behind them you want every shot to count, not 3 maybe 4 of 5 shots. I am also interested in becoming a Professional Kangaroo Shooter, to qualify you need to shoot MOA at ranges from 25 metres to 250 metres, now why buy a rifle that I have to drop another one or two grand on to modify it when I can get the same accuracy out of the box. I even said in the statement i madeOriginally Posted By: JellyCannonnot saying that I wouldn't be able to get them with a Rem, but re-assures me that all error will be on me. there was just no need for you to make those statements. Look I'm sorry if I've offended you in any way, but I dont enjoy being made to look a fool on a public forum.

Originally Posted By: tripod3I have been fond of every aspect of my sakos and tikkas. Smooth operators. Are there any major difference between the two? If you were blindfolded and handed a Tikka or a Sako could you tell the difference?

Originally Posted By: JellyCannonFirstly, theres no need to bite my head off. Secondly you assume way to much thinking that I have only just started shooting because I have just aquired a licence, I did so out of convenience. I am however buying my first gun, hence the two posts, I was about to settle on the Super Varmint when I saw the Roughtech Range. Cull work centres on Kangaroo's, the only "Humane" killzone according to the goverenment is the head, and the high neck. They have pretty small heads 100 metres plus, when you see a mob of 30 chillin having a chew of your crop with a huge trail destruction behind them you want every shot to count, not 3 maybe 4 of 5 shots. I am also interested in becoming a Professional Kangaroo Shooter, to qualify you need to shoot MOA at ranges from 25 metres to 250 metres, now why buy a rifle that I have to drop another one or two grand on to modify it when I can get the same accuracy out of the box. I even said in the statement i madeOriginally Posted By: JellyCannonnot saying that I wouldn't be able to get them with a Rem, but re-assures me that all error will be on me. there was just no need for you to make those statements. Look I'm sorry if I've offended you in any way, but I dont enjoy being made to look a fool on a public forum.

You should grow some thicker skin. I wasnt trying to make you look like an fool. I was trying to point out some glaring discrepancies in your thought process. A 3 shot warranty doesnt mean you miss shots 4 and 5.

These warranties are based off of absolute perfect conditions shot from benches using rests etc... everything you likely wont have in the field.

I know your not brand new at this but from reading your posts they tell me you dont have years of experience either. Im just trying to input a little reality now on what your going to find out sooner or later.

Originally Posted By: JellyCannonOriginally Posted By: tripod3I have been fond of every aspect of my sakos and tikkas. Smooth operators. Are there any major difference between the two? If you were blindfolded and handed a Tikka or a Sako could you tell the difference?

Yes, Sako has a seperate bolt release next to the safety, bolt length is sized per chambering length range. Magazine is metal and release is different. Scope mounts are different and more expensive.
The A7 is a sort of hybrid of the two.

Back